"Sheriffs continue to speak out" #GunControl #2A #SheriffDonaldSmith #guns #safeact

Thread: "Sheriffs continue to speak out" #GunControl #2A #SheriffDonaldSmith #guns #safeact

PaidTriot Guest

"Sheriffs continue to speak out" #GunControl #2A #SheriffDonaldSmith #guns #safeact

I reported this morning about a meeting between Gov. Andrew Cuomo and leaders of the New York State Sheriffs’ Association, during which Cuomo told the sheriffs to keep quiet about the SAFE Act.

Many sheriffs, who are elected on the county level, oppose the law and have said so publicly. The Sheriffs’ Association as well as several elected sheriffs last week signed an amicus brief supporting a federal court challenge to the new gun control law. One of the named parties was Putnam County Sheriff Donald Smith, the past-president of the association.

I reached out to Smith as I reported the article. He said he did not attend the meeting with Cuomo, who has said the SAFE Act will save lives. Smith did offer these thoughts:

“I have joined in the amicus brief because I feel so strongly that what is at stake in this case is a basic, fundamental and constitutional right of our citizens. All our rights as set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are put at risk if citizens are stripped of their ability to defend themselves in accordance with the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment is about more than hunting and target shooting—it’s about good citizens being able to protect themselves and their families against threats to their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.”

Read the rest of this article here.
    Last edited by lukem; 05-22-2013 at 11:22 AM.