Do you HAVE to answer if your Doctor asks you about guns? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Do you HAVE to answer if your Doctor asks you about guns?

  1. Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post
    Unequivocally NO! This question will start being asked more often as Obama Care enters our reality. BTW, this question is illegal under Obama Care thanks to a 'poison pill' amendment Sen. Harry Reid (Dem. NV) built in, and survived the rush to pass Obama Care.

    Staring at or questioning the medical inquisitor is a waste of your appointment's allotted time. You have ~15 minutes of face to face time per 60 minutes of scheduled time. There is an eloquent explanation of how this works in an episode of Scrubs where the McGinty Chief Resident character explains this to his new Residents. Episode number unknown.

    The next best response involves advances in understanding Quanta Physics & the Scrodenger's Cat conundrum. Not a good argument if your mental health is in direct question.

    Now for us VA dwellers, the Veterans Disarmament Act of 2007 and it's reaffirmation in 2012 and the NDAA 2012 can be problematic. These acts have been used to circumvent certain HIPAA Protections by various entities 'for cause.' FYI, there are certain HIPAA records that you cannot access even though you are the subject matter.

    For more [dis]cussin see http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...-question.html

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,837
    It ain't just MD's that are collecting info for distribution! I am entering a work hardening program for my return to work after a lengthy injury.
    The physical rehab is privately owned and you would not even believe who they will make my medical records available too!
    Lets see....
    Red Cross (god only knows why)
    Law enforcement (and just about for any damn reason they wish!)
    Presidential protection details (you got me on that one)
    The list goes on and on! I told them that I won't be signing that until my lawyer has a look at it.
    Come to find out at the end you can ask for a restriction of notification for all of the above, until you read the fine print!
    They have no obligation to grant you a restricted notification, to anyone, period!
    So, they will give my info to just about any bum with a ham sand which who asks for it!
    Yikes!!



    Sent from behind enemy lines.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by megthered View Post
    You are living in a fantasy land. If the government wants your records, they will get them. Ask the people in New York about the government getting their medical and pharmacy records. But keep drinking the kool aid.
    Please stop feeding into the misinformation. We've looked hard into this. The NY rumor about permits being pulled for use of certain med turns out to be a bust. One attorney, a few localized people and a lot of misinformation. Over 1 million permits, a large percentage of whom take these meds and no one but these 2-3 people were bothered? My bus associate who's an attorney looked into this. No one else is having any problems. No other attorneys are seeing a problem. Our elected officials need to remember that this is a very dangerous thing to attempt. If the state could revoke a permit based on a pain-killer, anti-depressant or antianxiety med, that would cause the termination of hundreds of thousands of police officers, court officers, investigators, etc. Because if one person s dangerous then everyone taking meds is dangerous, judges and LEO included. In any event, the meds issue in Western NY is turning out to be a case of targeting certain individuals by someone with a personal motivation. Reminds me of the IRS scandal. The lengths some people will go to enforce their beliefs is unbelievable. This is not happening state-wide and there is no pattern.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    Does this also mean we get to ask you if you still beat your wife?
    I can't help but take offense to that response, because we - as providers - frame these questions in the setting of trying to ensure the safety of our patients. You are framing this in frustration with a perceived breech of your privacy. It may seem silly, but I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten "that feeling" that the story wasn't really the story... and you'd be even more surprised how many times it is truly obvious that bad things are happening to helpless people. Just spend a month in a burn clinic or a trauma unit and it'll be a truly eye opening experience. For every one of us that says it will never happen to me, there are plenty of helpless and vulnerable victims out there.

    Fortunately, in my line of work, I left these questions behind a long time ago, and don't find myself in situations where I am asking them all that often. However, I have been in the position of being the only one who's ever asked and broached the subject of domestic/child abuse and gotten the help needed (even after the patient has been seen by umpteen other providers). These are not meant to be framed as breeching patient privacy, and are purely meant to help ensure the safety of others who often find themselves in a position of manipulation and helplessness with no one to turn to.

    That being said, the last time I was asked this, I laughed (mostly because my wife and I have the same primary care doctor), and she acknowledged the silliness of the question and checked no before I could even answer. But you can bet that there are situations where these questions are appropriate and have time and time again been useful at intervening in an already or potentially dangerous situation for our patients.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

  6. #25
    JSDinTexas Guest
    My answer is, "try to gain entry to my house by force around 2AM and find out."

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    353
    In the end... just say no. Don't plead the fifth or say anything about declining to answer or that it's none of their business. We all know that pleading the fifth essentially amounts to admitting guilt without giving details as to what/where/why/how/whom else. I can't imagine that I will ever be required to ask these questions on an intake form or other history-collecting tool as an orthopedist, but hey, crazier things have happened. If they do, they're going to wonder why none of my patients seem to own guns, because I'm going to check no, move on, and the patient won't even know about it. I don't even ask about details when someone gets shot. I don't care about anything other than what time it happened and if you know what you were shot with. I don't care to know about who did it, where it happened, who else was around, etc etc. All that does is make me a witness-at-a-distance... but if you come in because you shot yourself, then you're busted.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by keith4298 View Post
    Jim, that is a flat out non-truth. You medical records are governed by HIPPA and are NOT available to the Government. Not a little, not at all.

    Anyone telling you otherwise is lying to you. If you don't want to believe me, ask your doctor. You can even read the bill, although who has that much time.

    There is NOTHING in your medical records that is transmitted to the Government. Medical records (for the most part) aren't even digital.
    you need to get a clue

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    I can't help but take offense to that response, because we - as providers - frame these questions in the setting of trying to ensure the safety of our patients. You are framing this in frustration with a perceived breech of your privacy. It may seem silly, but I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten "that feeling" that the story wasn't really the story... and you'd be even more surprised how many times it is truly obvious that bad things are happening to helpless people. Just spend a month in a burn clinic or a trauma unit and it'll be a truly eye opening experience. For every one of us that says it will never happen to me, there are plenty of helpless and vulnerable victims out there.

    Fortunately, in my line of work, I left these questions behind a long time ago, and don't find myself in situations where I am asking them all that often. However, I have been in the position of being the only one who's ever asked and broached the subject of domestic/child abuse and gotten the help needed (even after the patient has been seen by umpteen other providers). These are not meant to be framed as breeching patient privacy, and are purely meant to help ensure the safety of others who often find themselves in a position of manipulation and helplessness with no one to turn to.

    That being said, the last time I was asked this, I laughed (mostly because my wife and I have the same primary care doctor), and she acknowledged the silliness of the question and checked no before I could even answer. But you can bet that there are situations where these questions are appropriate and have time and time again been useful at intervening in an already or potentially dangerous situation for our patients.
    Except when you get that "feeling" and you are wrong you destroy innocent peoples lives. I have seen it happen! I don't mean to bust your bubble but maybe physicians should stick to medicine and let the shamans read the tea leaves. I like the old axiom, legal, I would rather set a thousand guilty men free than to imprison one innocent man.

  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    I can't help but take offense to that response, because we - as providers - frame these questions in the setting of trying to ensure the safety of our patients.
    I'm sorry, that is delusional, you cannot ensure the safety of anyone by posing questions that are none of your damn business during a 10 - 15 minute visit once a year. Are medical professionals also experts in safe storage of firearms in homes? As educated as they are, I suspect that the majority have very little knowledge and zero experience with firearms. True the criminal will be safer, as after following a doctors advise, the gun is unloaded, and locked up.

    The only logical purpose for the question is that it will become part of the patients medical record, and privy to Obama care, i.e. the government.

    The first task required to confiscate guns is to first make a list of who has the guns.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  11. Use some common sense

    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    I'm sorry, that is delusional, you cannot ensure the safety of anyone by posing questions that are none of your damn business during a 10 - 15 minute visit once a year. Are medical professionals also experts in safe storage of firearms in homes? As educated as they are, I suspect that the majority have very little knowledge and zero experience with firearms. True the criminal will be safer, as after following a doctors advise, the gun is unloaded, and locked up.

    The only logical purpose for the question is that it will become part of the patients medical record, and privy to Obama care, i.e. the government.

    The first task required to confiscate guns is to first make a list of who has the guns.
    #1 No one is making a list. The Doctor isn't writing down who has a bicycle at home when he advises you to have your kid wear a helmet and they aren't writing down who has a gun when they advise you not to keep it out loaded in front of kids.

    #2 There is NO provision in Obamacare, despite what you've seen printed in forums that allows the Government to have access to your medical records. Obviously, medicare is run by the Government, but even in that case, the doctor sends billing info, not patient info to medicare.

    #3 They don't need knowledge with firearms. They aren't professional bikers, when they tell you to wear a helmet and padding. All they are telling patients is to make sure that DANGERS, which a firearm is to a child that doesn't know how to operate it properly, are out of reach.

    My pediatrician didn't know anything about firearms. He asked me if I had a safe to make sure my little girl couldn't get it. I discussed safety a little bit and we left. He's also a good friend of our family.

    I'm not saying that a healthy dose of paranoia is always a bad thing - there are lots of people that would like to collect your firearms. But this provision - isn't it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast