Illinois lawmakers approve concealed #guns bill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois lawmakers approve concealed #guns bill

PaidTriot Guest

With an interactive map showing Right to Carry Nationwide.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Here's the Second Amendment Foundation's coverage of it. The press releases are redundant, but the process of how we got from there to here is interesting.

SAF Wins Huge Victory For Carry In Illinois
    The Second Amendment Foundation has won a huge victory for the right to bear arms outside the home, with a ruling in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals that declares the right to self-defense is “broader than the right to have a gun in one’s home.”

Read the release announcing the 7th Circuit Court's decision to let the ruling stand.

Read the release announcing the victory.

Read the release announcing the lawsuit.

Read the release about added plaintiffs.

Read more and download case filings

Read the release announcing the preliminary injunction filing.

It's a baby-step in the right direction, but definitely worthy of congratulations to all involved.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Problem: They don't want the State law to override local laws. Can you imagine having to know every local ordinance? What a mess that will be.

5. Carry weapons and mags are preempted. So is transport. Go to ilga.gov and look up HB183, go to "Full Text" and hit "Senate Amendment 5." 5-7 were adopted and passed, sent to the Governor yesterday. 6 and 7 are technical amendments. 5 is the meat.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

6. I was VERY active in this whole process. As much as I could be at least. Credit goes to Brandon Phelps, Todd Vandermyde, the Rowes (IllinoisCarry), David and Colleen Lawson, ah too many names to list. They've been in the trenches for nearly a decade.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Congrats to the people of Illinois for having the courage and stamina to get this bill passed. A great start.

PaidTriot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49417 View Post
    Problem: They don't want the State law to override local laws. Can you imagine having to know every local ordinance? What a mess that will be.
    Welcome to America. That is the way it is in every state.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidTriot View Post
    Welcome to America. That is the way it is in every state.
    Actually, you're mistaken. I've held CWPs in Alabama, Wash. State and Georgia, all three of which have state preemption laws that prohibit local-level control over any aspect of gun carrying, sales, transport etc. In other words, the state reserves control for themselves over all issues related to regulating firearms.

I hoped to find a link to somewhere on this site when I searched for some documentation, and I'm sure one exists and I just didn't look hard enough, but the first one I found was here at Wikipedia. A cursory scan of the list there suggests that a rather large majority of states have preemption laws.

IL, MA, NJ, and NY are the only four in that list that have no preemption laws concerning firearms, while all the rest have varying degrees of preemption, with many of those having full preemption at the state level of all things guns.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

10. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Actually, you're mistaken. I've held CWPs in Alabama, Wash. State and Georgia, all three of which have state preemption laws that prohibit local-level control over any aspect of gun carrying, sales, transport etc. In other words, the state reserves control for themselves over all issues related to regulating firearms.

I hoped to find a link to somewhere on this site when I searched for some documentation, and I'm sure one exists and I just didn't look hard enough, but the first one I found was here at Wikipedia. A cursory scan of the list there suggests that a rather large majority of states have preemption laws.

IL, MA, NJ, and NY are the only four in that list that have no preemption laws concerning firearms, while all the rest have varying degrees of preemption, with many of those having full preemption at the state level of all things guns.

Blues
    This bill as amended does include partial preemption, protecting handguns and transport in vehicles as well as restricting future ordinances, it does unfortunately grandfather existing ordinances like Chicago assault weapons ban, but its something at least, they can't go changing and adding a bunch of new ordinances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekul34 View Post
    This bill as amended does include partial preemption, protecting handguns and transport in vehicles as well as restricting future ordinances, it does unfortunately grandfather existing ordinances like Chicago assault weapons ban, but its something at least, they can't go changing and adding a bunch of new ordinances.
    Yeah, I should've clarified that the four states I said were listed as having no preemption, IL being one of them, had not been updated yet since the new law passed. The main point I was trying to make though was that states lacking pretty strong preemption laws are the exception rather than the rule. The person who said it was that way "...in every state" lives in NY if I recall correctly, and they are still one of only three states (now) that have no preemption laws at all concerning firearms.

Blues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast