You had to take a driving test didn't you. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: You had to take a driving test didn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    I believe in instruction and was NRA instructor for years. However, driving is a privilege and the second amendment is a right. No government should ever be allowed to decide who is entitled to the liberty that was given by God to all men.

I wonder how things would work if free speech, voting, going to church, or writing a newspaper column required a license? Please show me in the Constitution where exercising your liberty requires a test. What do the words "shall not be infringed" mean? The rights of free men can not be limited by licensing requirements or all individual liberty will cease to exist. Do you want the current government licensing the rights of citizens? And who creates the test? How about a government agency to license those entitled to continue living since natural selection doesn't seem to be improving the gene pool. All of these issues were decided over 200 years ago.

And there are times when I think that politicians and other idiots should need a licence in order to express their stupid opinions which are far more dangerous than firearms. As we now see with this Administration tyranny is always a danger and individual liberty the target.
    I don't think it is unreasonable to require our public servants be credentialed and prove competence before being entrusted with the public steering wheel.
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Be happy you were banned from that forum Gall. In the Army, when we flew on missions we had the muzzle resting on the floor of the AC. That way if some idiot did have an ND, then it went towards the ground. One helo pilot even had me point my simulated Stinger missile at the floor. Trust me, if a Stinger went off in a cramped helo it wouldn't matter which way it was pointed.

The problem with the ops logic is although we have to be trained to drive a car...what difference has that training made. All the drivers ed and test taking still results in 20 thousand vehicular deaths a year and tens of thousands of injured. Injuries from mishandling firearms is no where near those numbers. Actual intentional homicides and suicides are large numbers, but homicide and suicide is not the same as mishandling the firearm. One is intentional and the other is accidental. About 99.999% of vehiculer deaths and injuries are the result of mishandling the vehicle. That is the difference.

As a RSO if and when I see someone doing something wrong. I correct them, and then I conclude with a stern warning. Do it again and you will be banned from this range.
    Never had a problem.

Comparing gun ownership to a drivers license is like an apple and an orange traffic cone.

Most states that "license" CCW require training.

All states that give driver licenses require training and testing. YET people still plow into one another.

If you want to blame anyone for the lack of firearm safety knowledge you have to look to the left of center of the political spectrum. The liberal progressive hoplophobia has had many unintended consequences. Just chalk this one up to them too. I mean good lord, you chew your pop tart in to the shape of what may look like a GLOCK and some teacher pees in their pants and locks down the school. You just cant fix that. Stupid kid should have chewed it into the shape of a ***** then all would be fine.
    I know I am embellishing the incident but just trying to make a point.

If you want to live in a perfect "safe" and "secure" world, I am afraid you are out of luck.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    The problem with the ops logic is although we have to be trained to drive a car...what difference has that training made. All the drivers ed and test taking still results in 20 thousand vehicular deaths a year and tens of thousands of injured. Injuries from mishandling firearms is no where near those numbers. Actual intentional homicides and suicides are large numbers, but homicide and suicide is not the same as mishandling the firearm. One is intentional and the other is accidental. About 99.999% of vehiculer deaths and injuries are the result of mishandling the vehicle. That is the difference.
    Excellent analysis. Thanks.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by the real diehl View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a while. Before you think this is about gun registration or needing a license to own a gun, let qualify myself, sort of.
    I'm a NRA life member for about thirty years. I'm just about as far right as you can get, but not a libertarian. I believe in limited government. Not anarchy. I got most of my shooting instruction from my father. He grew up on the farm. When he wasn't working he had a gun in his hand. He was competitive pistol shooter in the sixties that made his mark taking top honors at places like Camp Perry, Beaver Falls Pa state shoot and many others. My shooting was on a range with strict adherence to rules was, well, the rule.
    It drive me nuts to go to public ranges and stores and see the way people handle firearms. Pointing in all directions and doing unthinkable things that make me cringe. My pop would have boxed my ears if I would have done something like that. So I don't see any thing wrong with people having to demonstrate safe handling skills, proficiency and knowledge of the piece they intend to carry. I don't mean requiring a license to buy a gun and keep one in your house. I mean carry one in public, concealed or otherwise. Raising the image of our sport and weeding out some of the idiots would do all of us some good, and give a little less ammunition to the lefty's that want to take our guns and our rights away. Why is that education has been the answer for all our problems but gun safety, respect for life, law and order. Sex education,
    drug awareness, and gang resistance has not seemed to help, but they keep
    throwing more money at their lame solutions. We would be better off if we would bring back the code of the west, the golden rule and TV shows like
    Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith and The Rifleman. There, got that off of my chest
    Why do you or I need to ask permission to exercise our rights? A driver's license to operate a vehicle on the public highways (we own them) is required because it grants a permission to gain finacially from the public property. Use of the public highways for private puposes require no license. The State's charge a unconstitutional tax thru a license to travel upon the public highways. License equals a permission to do something that is illeagal without it. A RIGHT needs no permission. A RIGHT requires no training. You and only you are responsiable for your actions. If you harm another physicaly or finacially intentionaly or unintentionaly you and only you are liable to pay. Our courts and representative's have taken our rights and turned them into permissions under color of law. If we do not take our rights back from under scam of color of law we will lose them all. In order for an action to be a crime someone must be harmed physicaly or finacially. It took me two years of study in my spare time to understand my right to travel on the public highways. All the laws when you examine them closely are designed to control you the individual. The elected fear the individual and the whole of the people, for when they speak as a group they weld power that intimadate them. Most laws are imtimadation in nature to the individual. License/Permissions do not stop bad behavior or crimminal activity.
    Please explain to me why I need permission to do anything so long as I am not harming another?
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    Why do you or I need to ask permission to exercise our rights? A driver's license to operate a vehicle on the public highways (we own them) is required because it grants a permission to gain financially from the public property. Use of the public highways for private purposes require no license. The State's charge a unconstitutional tax thru a license to travel upon the public highways. License equals a permission to do something that is illegal without it. A RIGHT needs no permission. A RIGHT requires no training. You and only you are responsible for your actions. If you harm another physically or financially intentionally or unintentionally you and only you are liable to pay. Our courts and representative's have taken our rights and turned them into permissions under color of law. If we do not take our rights back from under scam of color of law we will lose them all. In order for an action to be a crime someone must be harmed physically or financially. It took me two years of study in my spare time to understand my right to travel on the public highways. All the laws when you examine them closely are designed to control you the individual. The elected fear the individual and the whole of the people, for when they speak as a group they weld power that intimidate them. Most laws are intimidation in nature to the individual. License/Permissions do not stop bad behavior or criminal activity.
    Please explain to me why I need permission to do anything so long as I am not harming another?
    That's what I've been screaming about to my Congress critter. I get this long drawn out answer that NEVER answers my question. Sometimes we both forget what the question was!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    That's what I've been screaming about to my Congress critter. I get this long drawn out answer that NEVER answers my question. Sometimes we both forget what the question was!
    Oh... I can almost guarantee that he is trying to get you to forget the question.....

Quote Originally Posted by ccwaz View Post
    The NRA offers all kinds of gun safety courses at no charge. There is no excuse for a responsible person who carries to not get proper training. However, to require by law is an infringement of a God-given and constitutionally guaranteed right that specifically was worded in the Bill of Rights, "...shall not be infringed." Take responsibility for your actions, but keep your freedom.

Do you have a link or some reference for this?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

You had to take a driving test didn't you.

An NRA Basic pistol course costs $150! Thank god I don't need to take one to exercise my right to carry a gun!
    Talk about stepping on an inherent right!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast