You had to take a driving test didn't you. - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: You had to take a driving test didn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    An NRA Basic pistol course costs $150! Thank god I don't need to take one to exercise my right to carry a gun!
    Talk about stepping on an inherent right!

Sent from behind enemy lines.
    The price varies. A range near me is offering the course for $200. Another range a little further away offers it for $99 with a $30 discount if
    you bring your own pistol and 100 rounds of ammo. A price of $69 per person is a bit more reasonable, and we don't have to have training
    in PA to get a carry permit. I'll take $69 courses all year long.

But I've never seen anything that was free.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

It cost me 5 minutes and 20 bucks to get a driver's license but 3 hours and 80 bucks to get a concealed carry permit.

I have already had 2 accidents on my way to and from work, caused by bad drivers but no fellow CCW person has yet shot at me.

You simply can not legislate stupid, they will continue to text and drive, muzzle people at the range etc etc
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

All safety begins between your ears, period, I remind myself of it every day. My mother drove cars before licenses were required, never had an accident, licenses are simply means for the state to make MONEY. A Real Estate Broker was able to appraise your home I am one, now need an Appraisers License, I am one, it is not about anything but MONEY to the State.

Well, if safety is actually the goal and not making money, then safety courses that are required by some states should be free. Advanced courses, home defense etc. would probably get more customers if you build the base by educating the masses on gun safety. Even the military is going to on-line training for the annually required training like civil rights, sexual harassment, alcohol abuse prevention etc.
    -
    Like has been said, you can lead a horse to water. Requiring training does not make people care about safety, some just check the box. If the NRA was to produce an engaging safety video, with someone that isn't boring to listen to and learn from (Coloin Noir for example because he could appeal to a larger cross-section of society), then watching the video could be the requirement. Again, those that care will pay attention and learn, those that don't still wont. This could be accomplished in an hour or less, provided at all ranges then have a nominal fee for someone to instruct and or observe live fire. A job that pays $20 an hour is considered a decent job, so If you had to pay the range guy $20 plus the price of ammo would that be excessive? All that would be required is gun specific instruction (semi auto, wheel gun etc.)
    -
    The video could also be available on line for anyone else that wanted to refresh safety training, show their kids etc. You would just have to watch it at a range with live-fire to get a certificate of completion.
    -
    Thoughts?
    -
    edited to add - not for gun purchase. Have it available for buyers. I'm talking about the CCW requirement. You can just give someone a list of the current State laws. Anyone that doesn't want to go to jail for breaking one will read. As you've seen just on this forum, there are a plethora if viewpoints on CC and OC, so how can you really instruct someone that "this is the right way" except for addressing specific state laws?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    An NRA Basic pistol course costs $150! Thank god I don't need to take one to exercise my right to carry a gun!
    Talk about stepping on an inherent right!
    Holy Smoke! My friend and I taught it for $35 and that just covered costs.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

I honestly think that firearm safety should be built into the school curriculum. NOT POLITICAL ORIENTATION, BUT TRUE HANDLING SAFETY TO INCLUDE OPERATION, HANDLING. The problem comes from government intervention to shape attitudes vs. safely handling firearms. Gun grabbers would never support this idea. If it is done in spite of the grabbers, they are bound to lobby for curriculum control of the course. :(

After all, school teaches how to cross a street, look both ways, etc.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Privileges are bestowed by others including the government and can be taken away and restricted. We are born with our rights which are guaranteed by the Constitution. They can not be limited or removed by anyone. Gun safety instruction is a good idea and everyone should want to take one.. But requiring one turns a right into a privilege and it can then be limited or removed. Responsibility can not be forced. And protecting stupid people from themselves is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    Privileges are bestowed by others including the government and can be taken away and restricted. We are born with our rights which are guaranteed by the Constitution. They can not be limited or removed by anyone. Gun safety instruction is a good idea and everyone should want to take one.. But requiring one turns a right into a privilege and it can then be limited or removed. Responsibility can not be forced. And protecting stupid people from themselves is not possible.
    Proposed South Carolina Gun Law S0162 - American Gun Owners Alliance
    Chief

The propensity of politicians to attempt limiting individual rights and extending their power and control is limitless. This doesn't make it right or Constitutional. The founders knew this and is exactly the reason for the Bill of Rights. They also believed that moral and religious men were self regulating and capable of self government. Progressives want laws and unlimited government to control men in every aspect of their lives. And the approval of a court or legislature does not make a bad law constitutional. Law schools teach case law, precedent, and international law, not Constitutional or natural law.

Attorneys are the most corrupt and disingenuous group of people in the U. S. and are not inclined to uphold the individual liberty if others. They have a political agenda and work for their own profit. Ethics and morality is sadly neglected in their education.

Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    I would just like to protect my family and me from stupid people!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast