You had to take a driving test didn't you.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You had to take a driving test didn't you.

1. You had to take a driving test didn't you.

I have been thinking about this for a while. Before you think this is about gun registration or needing a license to own a gun, let qualify myself, sort of.
    I'm a NRA life member for about thirty years. I'm just about as far right as you can get, but not a libertarian. I believe in limited government. Not anarchy. I got most of my shooting instruction from my father. He grew up on the farm. When he wasn't working he had a gun in his hand. He was competitive pistol shooter in the sixties that made his mark taking top honors at places like Camp Perry, Beaver Falls Pa state shoot and many others. My shooting was on a range with strict adherence to rules was, well, the rule.
    It drive me nuts to go to public ranges and stores and see the way people handle firearms. Pointing in all directions and doing unthinkable things that make me cringe. My pop would have boxed my ears if I would have done something like that. So I don't see any thing wrong with people having to demonstrate safe handling skills, proficiency and knowledge of the piece they intend to carry. I don't mean requiring a license to buy a gun and keep one in your house. I mean carry one in public, concealed or otherwise. Raising the image of our sport and weeding out some of the idiots would do all of us some good, and give a little less ammunition to the lefty's that want to take our guns and our rights away. Why is that education has been the answer for all our problems but gun safety, respect for life, law and order. Sex education,
    drug awareness, and gang resistance has not seemed to help, but they keep
    throwing more money at their lame solutions. We would be better off if we would bring back the code of the west, the golden rule and TV shows like
    Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith and The Rifleman. There, got that off of my chest

I think because driving on public roads is a privilege not a right protected by the BOR/constitution whereas possessing and carrying a firearm on our private person IS protected by the constitution.

Education is fine and dandy but I'm not so sure society today with our fancy universities and high tech educational plans is any smarter than the people of the 1700s with their quaint school house and quills and ink.

Mspt
    Be careful when you follow the MASSES, sometimes the M is silent.

OP: Do you think poor people have the Right to keep and bear arms?

I'd propose an allotted amount of money from local taxes to be put into a fund for a firearm instructor to put on free courses, beginner all the way to advanced, for the community.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

In pondering your post more I think when you speak of wanting the good old days you don't really mean educated people so much as people with common sense.

Mspt
    Be careful when you follow the MASSES, sometimes the M is silent.

6. Given all the useless crap schools teach nowadays, I'm sure they could spare a few hours for firearm safety classes. May as well start 'em young.

Good luck getting that approved though...
    Pro-Second Amendment T-Shirts and Stickers, Patriotic Flags, Gun Bags, Backpacks
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2Adefender

I live in Vermont. No permit required to carry a gun openly or concealed. No license to buy one. Just fill out your 4473 and put it in your pants and head out. I like it that way.
    I don't believe in placing qualifiers on a protected right.
    I think it should be like this in every state. As far as untrained gun owners go, well lets just say that it would weed out the stupid people..

Just sayin... YMMV.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

8. I'd be happy if all gun stores posted the 4 basic rules and reminded everyone of them when showing their wares. Lead by example and instruct not only in the features of the gun, but in safe operation as well. We can't count on the liberal school system to have Eddie Eagle classes, but we can inform people at point of contact / point of sale. Doesn't have to be a law or anything, just good business.

I agree that training is important, and I would even say that ranges should require basic training to shoot at them. One of the ranges I shoot at does this. First time you shoot there you have to take a short (10 Minute) orientation where they go over safe gun handling and the rules of the range. However, as far as a requirement before purchasing a firearm, I don't agree. Yes you have to have a license to drive but driving is not a right protected by the constitution. While I agree that anyone and everyone who owns a firearm should have training, it has been proven time and time again that the anti gun groups will use the fact that one thing passes to then say "well, we just want this one little addition"

Quote Originally Posted by MadMAF View Post
    I'd be happy if all gun stores posted the 4 basic rules and reminded everyone of them when showing their wares. Lead by example and instruct not only in the features of the gun, but in safe operation as well. We can't count on the liberal school system to have Eddie Eagle classes, but we can inform people at point of contact / point of sale. Doesn't have to be a law or anything, just good business.
    I could be wrong, if so, someone correct me, but any time I purchase a gun, there are oodles of safety brochures that accompany it. Isn't this legislation to put that education into the hands of firearms owners?

You can't force the purchaser to read the safety information for a firearm any more than you can force the purchaser of a hair dryer NOT to use it in the shower.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I don't like the implication that being a Libertarian = anarchy.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast