Sales of Orwell's 1984 surges 6,884% in 24hrs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales of Orwell's 1984 surges 6,884% in 24hrs.

Arrow Sales of Orwell's 1984 surges 6,884% in 24hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    The link Tyler gave to Amazon shows a rise of about 3,100%, not 7,000%. Still soaring, but it's only been a few hours at most since Tyler posted, and I doubt that's enough time for the sales rise in percentage to drop by more than half. I don't understand why the exaggeration? It's an interesting stat without exaggerating it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I do find information like this interesting, but not that much unless I know who, why, and actually how many books. I mean, how many books a month/year does Amazon's #7636 book sell? If they sold 1 book last month, and 41 books this month, that is a 4000% increase, and meant that probably a small organization (patriot group, tea party, etc) was advised to buy the book. But if they average 100 books a month, 4100 books in 24 hours is more significant. But definitely not enough for me to celebrate that people are finally getting it.

I guess my biggest question is who bought them....people scared of the society Orwell described.....or people who like the hope and change that "big brother" Obama brings. I mean, Time magazine called it one of the best 100 books of all times. It wasn't because they hate the communist utopia that they dream of....
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

I always buy from resellers when I can. I don't know if those sales are tracked.
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

I don't think that anyone who likes Obama would buy the book because they like the squalid and totally controlled society portrayed in 1984. There is absolutely nothing admirable or attractive about Orwell's portrayal of London. Of course there were enough uninformed idiots to twice elect Obama.

Orwell was almost 30 years late but his accuracy is uncanny. Is a society where there is no privacy, no freedom, no prosperity, no truth, and shortages of everything beginning to sound familiar? Winston Smith is an average and kind of wimpy little man who takes a stand. He is forced into reeducation and virtually destroyed because he challenges the all powerful government in a very minor way. No deviation from the government dogma is tolerated. As is always the case in a communist society everyone is equally poor, not equally rich.

Are we really all that far from it happening here?

On a slightly different track, I'd recommend "Atlas Shrugged".
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

This story was on the Today Show, they had said that "at one point, sales increased to over 6,000%". So, whenever Tyler wrote this report, it must've been at that peak... before it slowed down. I assume....
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

I don't believe sales have slowed down but it doesn't matter. Almost everything is happening now. Read Orwell's Animal Farm that is an allegory of the Communist Revolution . This describes how the animals take over the farm and kill the farmer. It describes how in a communist society "every one is equal but some are more equal than others".The intellectual elite rules the stupid masses.

Had to read the Animal Farm in school... go figure, huh.

Just goes to show you there isn't any totally useless knowledge. This leads to understanding an over educated, redneck farmer's points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast