Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional Sporting Purpose Distinction

Thread: Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional Sporting Purpose Distinction

1. Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional Sporting Purpose Distinction

Not sure how far this will go but it's worth a try I guess.

Today, Representative Doug Collins (R-GA) introduced legislation to eliminate the "sporting purpose" distinction contained in the Internal Revenue Code and the Federal Criminal Code. H.R. 2277 restores Second Amendment protections to all firearms.
    Rep. Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional ?Sporting Purpose? Distinction In Gun Laws | dawsontimes.com

Text of the bill: Proposed Federal Gun Legislation HB2277 - American Gun Owners Alliance
    An informed gun owner is an anti-gunners worst nightmare, stay informed at the American Gun Owners Alliance

Bravo!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

If this passes congress and becomes law it could have big positive ramifactions for the 2A!

Unfortunately, I don't see this going anywhere.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

6. There seems to be some controversy as to whether this is a good bill or not now. A friend of mine that studies law (not a lawyer though) said this:

The only power they are taking away from the AG is the power to help us. All the strikes to US CODE TITLE 18 make it more restrictive, not less, by taking away the ability of the owner or the AG to claim non-applicability of a restrictive designation by saying the item will be used only for sporting purposes.
    And after re-reading the bill I have to say I'm not 100% sure any more.
    An informed gun owner is an anti-gunners worst nightmare, stay informed at the American Gun Owners Alliance

This has been a concern for me after going through the bill. If we remove the designation for hunting purposes will that make all weapons vulnerable to the same type of ban had say the AWB been passed. (Ruger Mini 14 Ranch is ok, but the Ruger Mini 14 Tactical isn't ok.) There has always been security in the knowledge that the designation would restrict lumping all weapons together.
    Last edited by dogshawred; 06-13-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: wording
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job