catholic education divides us...WTF
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: catholic education divides us...WTF

catholic education divides us...WTF

3. A group that preaches those who follow us are better then the rest of the people in the world to the point that when we die we go to heaven and all others go to a hot furnace for eternity. How could anyone think that was dividing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by maine04619 View Post
    A group that preaches those who follow us are better then the rest of the people in the world to the point that when we die we go to heaven and all others go to a hot furnace for eternity. How could anyone think that was dividing people!!
    I know some protestant churches believe this, Westboro Baptist comes to mind. I've never heard any Catholic Church I've been in preach this.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    I know some protestant churches believe this, Westboro Baptist comes to mind. I've never heard any Catholic Church I've been in preach this.
    Funny, as a Catholic, I have never heard this presented as maine seems to take it but, then again, some hear and see only what they want. It appears that only the god-less seem to get so riled up. If they don't believe in God, what does it matter? As for our illustrious POTUS, it is more than apparent he has no use for the Christian faith, only Islam. Maybe he is jockeying for a position with a Muslim organization when he leaves office?

Not a catholic, but significant folks around me are and, from what I hear, they believe that if you are not of the catholic version of Christianity then you cannot get into heaven. More evidence that it is all a matter of which club you pay dues to.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

7. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Funny, as a Catholic, I have never heard this presented as maine seems to take it but, then again, some hear and see only what they want. It appears that only the god-less seem to get so riled up. If they don't believe in God, what does it matter? As for our illustrious POTUS, it is more than apparent he has no use for the Christian faith, only Islam. Maybe he is jockeying for a position with a Muslim organization when he leaves office?
    Really? Every church says this. Please tell me what church does not say those who do not follow our path and accept our god will not go to hell for eternity? The words below from the bible itself are pretty clear. I can post about 100 more on the subject of need be. Thus my point. A group of people who in their mind saying it allowed or not think by virtue of their belief in a omnipotent being makes them better then other thus making others less then them. This exact same ideal substituting race or sex is both abhorrent and reprehensible to most every person but teaching people the same thing based on what one thinks is ok?

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." óRevelation 20:14,15

Quote Originally Posted by the dark View Post
    Not a catholic, but significant folks around me are and, from what I hear, they believe that if you are not of the catholic version of Christianity then you cannot get into heaven. More evidence that it is all a matter of which club you pay dues to.
    That was the stance of the Catholic Church for many, many years. It was so until someone became enlightened and discovered that the same God was the one of Protestants also. Many of the beliefs of the church were found to be in error and discarded and determined that Christians of all denominations were just as equal. The one thing that most people complain about, regardless of religion, is the theory that if you don't accept God, you are going to hell. I believe that, but God offers an escape from hell just by accepting the death of Jesus Christ in atonement for our sins as His free gift and believe in Him. To me, very simple. If,however, one rejects him, they have rejected Heaven and personally opted for hell, in my belief. Individual choice - free will. That is the Christian view in a nutshell. If one choses not to believe that it is OK by me. You may not believe in the existence of hell but that doesn't mean that you are necessarily correct. I have, through personal choice, chosen to accept Jesus Christ as my Savior and fully accept the Bible as His living Word. If someone hasn't and does not believe in "fairy tales," as some have described the Bible, then so be it. If you are comfortable in your decision, I will be as happy as a little pig in manure. Your decision, your fate, of some sort or another. One day soon, we will find out who has been in error.

Really? Every church says this. Please tell me what church does not say those who do not follow our path and accept our god will not go to hell for eternity? The words below from the bible itself are pretty clear. I can post about 100 more on the subject of need be. Thus my point. A group of people who in their mind saying it allowed or not think by virtue of their belief in a omnipotent being makes them better then other thus making others less then them. This exact same ideal substituting race or sex is both abhorrent and reprehensible to most every person but teaching people the same thing based on what one thinks is ok?

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." —Revelation 20:14,15
    maine: You have no idea how good it makes me feel to know that you do read the Bible. In answer to your first question, Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in the existence of hell. They believe in the annihilation theory, poof, you no longer exist. To them, the grave is hell and just a repository for this lump of flesh we call a body. As for feeling superior to anyone else, I don't nor does anyone else who calls themselves a Christian. We do believe in an omnipotent being. We believe He has given us rules to live our lives by and are no better than anyone else. By your mention of race and sex, I assume you are referring to our stand on homosexuality, etc. We don't feel like we are any better than someone else but we do have morals established by our God and refuse to accept anything less as a substitute for our liberal leaning society. The Bible says they are sinning and that is good enough for me. As for most lessons in life, we all teach what we think on any given subject and consider that to be OK. Same with religion, however, some can discuss it with civility while others want to become adversarial. Go back to your Bible and see if it doesn't say it is "the inerrant word of God."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    We don't feel like we are any better than someone else but we do have morals established by our God and refuse to accept anything less as a substitute for our liberal leaning society. The Bible says they are sinning and that is good enough for me.
    Yes this moral stance was made very clear by the way the church and it's members allowed there "leaders" to molest kids and allowed it.

Yes this moral stance was made very clear by the way the church and it's members allowed there "leaders" to molest kids and allowed it.
    C'mon now maine. We will be the first to admit what was done was wrong and we are thoroughly ashamed of the priests who committed such acts and the ones who covered them up. That judgment is on the men, not the religion itself. You are a little too inclusive there. If you want to condemn the denomination for the acts of some of it's ministers, you will be condemning them all. All religions have had ministers err and commit the most egregious sins. Those sins were not committed by God nor in the name of religion. They were due to the inherent weaknesses of men, not the religion. Quite a difference.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast