Man arrested for guns at Pelosi's personal hotel - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested for guns at Pelosi's personal hotel

sounds like a bunch of crap to me
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    What a crock. Just because Pelosi and the Dem Convention was in there!

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Hunter apologizes for Pelosi scare

KUSA - A Wyoming hunter who accidentally caused a security concern at the Grand Hyatt hotel Saturday says he's sorry for the problems he caused and didn't know the Democratic National Convention was in town.

When Joseph Calanchini walked into the Grand Hyatt hotel with 2 rifles and 2 pistols Saturday around 4 p.m., Denver Police evacuated House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) from the hotel until they arrested Calanchini and made sure it was safe for Pelosi to return.

"I didn't even know the DNC was in town. I don't watch the news," said Joseph Calanchini from the Denver City Jail where he's being held on bond. "If I had known, I would have done things differently. It was a simple mistake."
    Calanchini, who talked to 9Wants to Know from the Denver City Jail, says he had the weapons because he's getting ready to go on a hunting safari trip in Limpopo Basin, South Africa on August 28. He plans to hunt warthog, impala, baboon and jackals with a friend there.
    He says he had just picked up his rifles from the Sportsman's Warehouse and had them in a locked gun case when he checked in at the Grand Hyatt. The clerk checking him in noticed the rifle case and called security.
    "I'm amazed. It's not like they were illegal weapons, they were all registered to me," said Calanchini. "It was bad timing."
    Police say Calanchini had permits for the rifles, but did not have concealed permits to carry two pistols that were found in his luggage. Calanchini says he forgot they were in there.
    He was charged with unlawfully carrying weapons, a misdemeanor. Calanchini is being held on $10,000 bond at the Denver City Jail.
    "I didn't mean to cause any problems," said Calanchini. "I'm sorry, it was not intentional."
    Calanchini, who is registered as an independent, says he doesn't know who he's going to vote for yet.
    "Would this affect my choice as a candidate? No. There's more important issues than this," said Calanchini.
    The 29-year-old man from Pinedale, Wyoming, has never been arrested before. He says he's hunted for several years in places like Canada, California and Wyoming. He planned the safari to South Africa with a friend in June.
    He says the U.S. Secret Service interviewed him for an hour and a half on Saturday to make sure he's not a threat.
    "They know I'm not trying to do anything," he said.
    Calanchini, who sells drilling tools across Colorado and Wyoming, says he is a frequent guest at the Grand Hyatt.
    But the Grand Hyatt General Manager says he was not a registered guest at the hotel.
    "We don't know why he was walking through our hotel," said General Manager Ed Bucholtz.
    After police searched and towed Calanchini's car, they allowed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) back into the hotel.
    "The speaker was never in any danger. And she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," said Brendon Daly, Pelosi spokesman.
    That seems to tell the story... But it does appear he had the pistols concealed without a permit? Don't know how that will play out for him. Anyway its too bad he walked into this, sounds like he said "bad timing"

His mistake was to have guns around one of the Princes or Princesses of America, those folks who pretend they "serve" us in our government. And who ways we don't have an aristrocracy. Time for his lawyer to get involved, he might be able to finance his next hunting trip courtesy of the citizens of Denver.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

5. Sounds like false arrest to me.Let pilousy pay for his hunting trip.

I imagine that they will find something to charge him with before it is over to keep the false arrest from happening. I would not go on a shopping spree quite yet.

I'm almost certain he can beat the charge of carrying a concealed handgun; after all, the pistols were in his luggage, not on his person. And, after he beats the charges, he needs to sue the pants off of the police department, the secret service, or whoever is responsible.

Might as well get used to it..This is how it works

Bureaucracy works like this and I certainly don't have the money or time to be able to fight it......whenever something contrary to the wishes of those in control happens they simply arrest you and confiscate whatever they want. In a few days or months the charges are dropped and your property is returned.

No damages will be paid...you are out time, an attorney, and possibly property if you don't use caution. This is how it works for protesters, people intent on ill will, and normal everyday innocent people found in places that they should not be (even without notice).

Just consider how a pilot flying his own small airplane feels when he is caught by some F-16's protecting the presidents plane with a 30 mile radius prohibited zone that moves with Air Force 1. You need to know where you are going and what is happening in that area....situational awareness means more than the moment you are in.

You must use caution, protect or conceal, go to places that are friendly...get out the word on hotel chains and businesses that are not friendly. I can't believe that it will be long before there are scanners at the doors in establishments that don't desire your business. Unfortunately, you will have made plans and you won't find out until you are inconvenienced.

I don't know the answer other than a friendly rating system made available on the internet. Hopefully, someone will start a searchable website devoted strictly to business ratings and locations.

It's been my experience that MANY hotel/motels have policies prohibiting "weapons" I have yet to see a lodging facility that says "firearms prohibited". It's always "weapons" or more specifically "illegal weapons". Since I don't own any "weapons", I simply keep a low profile and go about my business. I make a great effort to use "gun friendly" establishments whenever possible. Sometimes it's not possible, or I find out AFTER I check in.

So far I've only had problems once while traveling with my firearms. After a brief discussion with hotel security, it was agreed that I keep my firearms locked in my hard case when not in use. The head of security was retired PD. When he realized that I knew the local laws, and I was able to prove that the hotel policy was "bogus", he simply asked that I keep my firearmslocked up when I was out of the room.

Avoid problems by KNOWING the local laws and NEVER advertise that you have firearms.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

In this morning's news hype they said he had a trunk full of guns and drugs, any bets on if it was just Aspirin?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    It's been my experience that MANY hotel/motels have policies prohibiting "weapons" I have yet to see a lodging facility that says "firearms prohibited". It's always "weapons" or more specifically "illegal weapons". Since I don't own any "weapons", I simply keep a low profile and go about my business. I make a great effort to use "gun friendly" establishments whenever possible. Sometimes it's not possible, or I find out AFTER I check in.

So far I've only had problems once while traveling with my firearms. After a brief discussion with hotel security, it was agreed that I keep my firearms locked in my hard case when not in use. The head of security was retired PD. When he realized that I knew the local laws, and I was able to prove that the hotel policy was "bogus", he simply asked that I keep my firearmslocked up when I was out of the room.

Avoid problems by KNOWING the local laws and NEVER advertise that you have firearms.

gf
    That's what I'm always preaching on the various gun forums to which I belong. Ninety nine times out of a hundred, a place that isn't off limits under the law but is posted will not have a metal detector or security frisking patrons, so the sign can effectively be ignored. Yeah, many will say not to spend money at any place that is posted, but the way I feel is that if they won't enforce their policy, I'm within my rights to ignore it as long as I'm not breaking the law, and in fact, I have indeed ignored just about every no guns sign I have ever seen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast