Man arrested for guns at Pelosi's personal hotel - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested for guns at Pelosi's personal hotel

1. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    That's what I'm always preaching on the various gun forums to which I belong. Ninety nine times out of a hundred, a place that isn't off limits under the law but is posted will not have a metal detector or security frisking patrons, so the sign can effectively be ignored. Yeah, many will say not to spend money at any place that is posted, but the way I feel is that if they won't enforce their policy, I'm within my rights to ignore it as long as I'm not breaking the law, and in fact, I have indeed ignored just about every no guns sign I have ever seen.
    Um...in most jurisdictions that allow property owners to post the no firearms signs, they require people to honor them...they can actually have you arrested for trespassing. By ignoring the signs, you are, in fact, breaking the law. If you don't like the signs, you have the right to go somewhere else. You don't have the right to break the law by ignoring them.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by joespahr View Post
    Um...in most jurisdictions that allow property owners to post the no firearms signs, they require people to honor them...they can actually have you arrested for trespassing. By ignoring the signs, you are, in fact, breaking the law. If you don't like the signs, you have the right to go somewhere else. You don't have the right to break the law by ignoring them.

In Texas the law perscribes the exact size , wording etc that the sign must be. If the sign does not meet the requirements then the sign holds no weight and so you can indeed ignore it. The establishment can not just put up any kind of sign they wish. Now if they find out you are carrying they can ask you to leave and if you do not you can be charged with trespassing. When I see a sign that is not "offical" I do indeed ignore it. My gun is covered and know one is the wiser.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

4. This hole thing is BS.Guns were secure for travel.Man is owed resittion

Quote Originally Posted by joespahr View Post
    Signs do not hold the force of law; (actually, Kansas is the only place where signs hold the force of law). If you're caught ignoring a no gun policy, that, in and of itself is not a crime. If you're asked to leave and don't, then you've broken the law (trespassing), and even that is not a gun charge, so you won't lose your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Signs do not hold the force of law; (actually, Kansas is the only place where signs hold the force of law). If you're caught ignoring a no gun policy, that, in and of itself is not a crime. If you're asked to leave and don't, then you've broken the law (trespassing), and even that is not a gun charge, so you won't lose your permit.
    In SC the signs carry the full force of the law and you can lose your permit. The signs must meet specific code and I see very few of them but if they meet code do not take them as a suggestion.

The fine can be up tp $200 plus 30 days in jail for first offense. Second offense is loss of permit in addition to fine and jail.
    Last edited by FN1910; 09-03-2008 at 06:05 AM.

7. ...BOGUS... usually whenever i go out of town for more that 24 or so hours i bring my guns with me. doesn't matter if i'm goin to TN to fish for a day or two or back home to visit the folks, my guns are coming with me. this isn't because i have to have massive firepower, it's because i'll be damned if i put one of my firearms in the hands of a criminal while i'm away. if i have to stay in a hotel i WILL NOT leave my guns in my car. should be that every state has some form of castle doctrine in hotels. maybe this fella (or one like him) booked a hunting trip in the area months ago and liked the hotel. freakin pelosi...

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    In SC the signs carry the full force of the law and you can lose your permit. The signs must meet specific code and I see very few of them but if they meet code do not take them as a suggestion.

The fine can be up tp $200 plus 30 days in jail for first offense. Second offense is loss of permit in addition to fine and jail.
    Ok, so we can also add SC alongside Kansas as one of a very few states where ignoring a sign in a place that is otherwise not against the law will get you arrested and can result in the loss of your permit. The fact remains, however, that in the vast majority of states, ignoring a sign is, at the very worst, a petty misdemeanor, and that's the way it should be.

Also it's legal in SC to carry a concealed weapon from your vehicle to your hotel/motel room.

SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.
    Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Also it's legal in SC to carry a concealed weapon from your vehicle to your hotel/motel room.

SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.
    Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.
    Because it starts off by saying "notwithstanding any provision of law" I am assuming that you do not need to have a permit to have a handgun in a hotel room. I like this provision, except for the fact that it only applies to "concealable weapons." By concealable weapons, do they only mean handguns? I'm asking, because, depending on what you're wearing, anything, including a shotgun or rifle, can be concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Because it starts off by saying "notwithstanding any provision of law" I am assuming that you do not need to have a permit to have a handgun in a hotel room. I like this provision, except for the fact that it only applies to "concealable weapons." By concealable weapons, do they only mean handguns? I'm asking, because, depending on what you're wearing, anything, including a shotgun or rifle, can be concealed.
    Yes they mean handguns. Trying to conceal a rifle or shotgun would be illegal in SC. I've always carried my long guns into a room in a hard or soft case.

(6) “Concealable weapon” means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast