21Yr Old Treated Like Criminal at DUI Checkpoint on 4th of July - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 21Yr Old Treated Like Criminal at DUI Checkpoint on 4th of July

Um...America can't afford anything right now, neither pet peeves nor "more important violations"...we are broke in all essence of the word "broke." We should all just comply...it's much easier and follows the American way.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    The problem iswe keep the going along to get along going we stagnate and right now we have to many it's easier to just comply rather than take a stand.
    For something like this? Not worth taking a stand. I posted on another thread where I went through a DUI checkpoint on the fourth. It went as expected. He asked if I've been drinking today. I said no. He asked about drugs or weapons and I informed him I have a licensed handgun in my pocket. He asked to see the license, gave it back to me, smiled and told me to have a nice day. I told him "thanks, stay safe" and went on my way. What's the problem? Oh wait, I live in NYS. Most would expect I'd be thrown to the ground and incarcerated over the gun. C'mon people.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

The nibbling away of our rights thru no co(ncern) it's not that much, and before you know it, you lost more then what you thought was an exceptiable loss. This dosn't concern you attitude is how we got where we are now.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    The nibbling away of our rights thru no co(ncern) it's not that much, and before you know it, you lost more then what you thought was an exceptiable loss. This dosn't concern you attitude is how we got where we are now.
    There's no loss. If you have to fight everything that ever even faintly resembles violating your rights there are a few things that will ring true all your life. You'll have spent your life banging schmucko on the head. You'll be arrested and cleared many times. Costly to get cleared repeatedly. And an arrest pops on a background check (not just convictions) so you don't get into school or good employment. We don't care what happened or if your rights were violated because every ex-con also has a story. We simply won't believe you. And if there is more than one arrest? Forget about it. It's a real problem for life.

Are you willing to work for half the money and have half the career or future because someone asked for ID at a checkpoint? I'd rather focus my life on productive things and having the money to fight the real battle that could someday need fighting. As I said earlier, my kid would get an ass-kicking from me.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I totally agree we should have our property seized when we haven't done anything illegal....now show me your papers!!! :-)
    Nope, not seized. Taken into protective custody.
    322.15 License to be carried and exhibited on demand; fingerprint to be imprinted upon a citation.—
    (1) Every licensee shall have his or her driver’s license, which must be fully legible with no portion of such license faded, altered, mutilated, or defaced, in his or her immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon the demand of a law enforcement officer or an authorized representative of the department.
    (2) Upon the failure of any person to display a driver’s license as required by subsection (1), the law enforcement officer or authorized representative of the department stopping the person shall require the person to imprint his or her fingerprints upon any citation issued by the officer or authorized representative, or the officer or authorized representative shall collect the fingerprints electronically.
    (3) In relation to violations of subsection (1) or s. 322.03(5), persons who cannot supply proof of a valid driver’s license for the reason that the license was suspended for failure to comply with that citation shall be issued a suspension clearance by the clerk of the court for that citation upon payment of the applicable penalty and fee for that citation. If proof of a valid driver’s license is not provided to the clerk of the court within 30 days, the person’s driver’s license shall again be suspended for failure to comply.
    (4) A violation of subsection (1) is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
    He refused to produce his license so he was not in compliance with almost every state's laws that say you have to produce your license if operating a motor vehicle on a publicly owned road upon demand by a LEO. For that, he was in violation and could be prevented from operating the vehicle until he produced it. Refusal to produce results in a citation. So they could take him in to get his fingerprints as allowed by Florida law for the citation if it happened in Florida. They need to get it out of the way as it would produce a traffic hazard. Hence the right to tow.

As for Seeya's comment, driving is not a right, it is a privilege. And something the states and Feds do regulate.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

7. I for one am thankful that I live in a state where "checkpoints" are considered illegal! And nobody is running up to the State Capital to repeal it! Between the Citizens (calling in a drunk driver) and LEs, we don't hear about how this (drunk driving) is a rampant issue requiring draconian measures to curtail it.
    When all other methods of protest have been dismantled, the system leaves us with only two options: stand and fight, or kneel and beg for mercy. All you need to know is what YOU would do when faced with that choice.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Totidem Verbis View Post
    I for one am thankful that I live in a state where "checkpoints" are considered illegal! And nobody is running up to the State Capital to repeal it! Between the Citizens (calling in a drunk driver) and LEs, we don't hear about how this (drunk driving) is a rampant issue requiring draconian measures to curtail it.
    Which state is that? It may be time to move again. After living here 21 years and never even seeing or hearing of a DUI checkpoint in Alabama, I got caught in two last year, both of them in the same place just a block from the turnoff to get to work, to which I was 20 minutes late both times.

To BC1 - Maybe if the past and current older generation had been more cognizant and protective of our rights over the last century or so, youngins' with the balls to stand up to government thugs wouldn't have to do our jobs for us, and could build that clean arrest record unencumbered by tyrants.

The notion that some rights matter and some don't is a premise that I will never understand, and definitely will never accept. Lick the boots of those who demand your rights of you if you want to, but to criticize kids who stand for theirs is just unconscionable. What do you get out of that?

Believe it or not, everything doesn't boil down to money. “What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?” That young man had the soul to stand up for his and your God-given rights, BC, and you would punish him for the rest of his life for it. And you refer to him as a "hack?" And you refer to the attempt of people like him to hold government to the authorities the Constitution grants it as purveyors of anarchy? What is it when the government ignores all the rights of The People that it is sworn to uphold? I call it tyranny. Apparently you just think it's normal, and anyone who interrupts your enjoyment of that normalcy is deserving of your disdain. It's disgusting.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Nope, not seized. Taken into protective custody.
    He refused to produce his license so he was not in compliance with almost every state's laws that say you have to produce your license if operating a motor vehicle on a publicly owned road upon demand by a LEO. For that, he was in violation and could be prevented from operating the vehicle until he produced it. Refusal to produce results in a citation. So they could take him in to get his fingerprints as allowed by Florida law for the citation if it happened in Florida. They need to get it out of the way as it would produce a traffic hazard. Hence the right to tow.

As for Seeya's comment, driving is not a right, it is a privilege. And something the states and Feds do regulate.
    I totally agree. I hope they soon regulate our foot traffic too, and also our citizenship and living quarters. We won't call it regulate though, we will call it "general protective custody." Just a quick rewrite of the law and we are good to go. Now show me your papers!!
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    Wondering, if he was driving a Class A Motorhome that he was living in, would that change anything as far as searches?
    Well, for purposes of stand-your-ground in Texas, the car is considered an "extension of your home". Seems to me that they would need a warrant to search a car, even at a DUI checkpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I totally agree. I hope they soon regulate our foot traffic too, and also our citizenship and living quarters. We won't call it regulate though, we will call it "general protective custody." Just a quick rewrite of the law and we are good to go. Now show me your papers!!
    Your foot traffic is already regulated in many states. Jaywalking can get you a ticket.

And by the way, I don't condone the illegal search that was done in the video. Now where are your papers for your insurance, registration, and DL? All three are normally requested at a traffic stop.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast