21Yr Old Treated Like Criminal at DUI Checkpoint on 4th of July - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: 21Yr Old Treated Like Criminal at DUI Checkpoint on 4th of July

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Your foot traffic is already regulated in many states. Jaywalking can get you a ticket.

    And by the way, I don't condone the illegal search that was done in the video. Now where are your papers for your insurance, registration, and DL? All three are normally requested at a traffic stop.
    Curious, do you believe we have Rights not written in the Constitution?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2.   
  3. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    To BC1 - Maybe if the past and current older generation had been more cognizant and protective of our rights over the last century or so, youngins' with the balls to stand up to government thugs wouldn't have to do our jobs for us, and could build that clean arrest record unencumbered by tyrants.

    The notion that some rights matter and some don't is a premise that I will never understand, and definitely will never accept. Lick the boots of those who demand your rights of you if you want to, but to criticize kids who stand for theirs is just unconscionable. What do you get out of that?

    Believe it or not, everything doesn't boil down to money. “What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?” That young man had the soul to stand up for his and your God-given rights, BC, and you would punish him for the rest of his life for it. And you refer to him as a "hack?" And you refer to the attempt of people like him to hold government to the authorities the Constitution grants it as purveyors of anarchy? What is it when the government ignores all the rights of The People that it is sworn to uphold? I call it tyranny. Apparently you just think it's normal, and anyone who interrupts your enjoyment of that normalcy is deserving of your disdain. It's disgusting.

    Blues
    I can't make every fight. Neither can you. None of us can. And whether their right or wrong I can't be jailed repeatedly. I like the DUI checks. I don't drink often and never would drive. I sure don't want to get killed by someone who decided to point a 3,000 pound weapon at me and pull.

    Why am I so had on him? Because he's wrong. Countless... countless times this has reached appellate courts both state and federal and has repeatedly found to be constitutional. It isn't about what I believe is constitutional. The law of the land is set down by nine robed judges. And Junior doesn't look old enough to be an attorney. If he wants to argue points of constitutional law he should get a J.D. That's IF a school will accepts him after arrest.

    You claim I'm punishing him for the rest of his life? No, he's punishing himself for the rest of his life. When I hire there is no way to tell the difference between a con and him. Both claim innocence. Both have a record. I can't take the chance that a new employee will steal, be insubordinate or screw with a client. He's not my problem. He's a punk. Nothing less. DUI and license checks are legal and he should just comply. He should go to law school and learn the way law is changed in America.

    It is my opinion that no amount of resisting or complaining will do anything other tan cause self-harm. America is gone and I've given-up on her.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I can't make every fight. Neither can you. None of us can. And whether their right or wrong I can't be jailed repeatedly. I like the DUI checks. I don't drink often and never would drive. I sure don't want to get killed by someone who decided to point a 3,000 pound weapon at me and pull.

    Why am I so had on him? Because he's wrong. Countless... countless times this has reached appellate courts both state and federal and has repeatedly found to be constitutional. It isn't about what I believe is constitutional. The law of the land is set down by nine robed judges. And Junior doesn't look old enough to be an attorney. If he wants to argue points of constitutional law he should get a J.D. That's IF a school will accepts him after arrest.

    You claim I'm punishing him for the rest of his life? No, he's punishing himself for the rest of his life. When I hire there is no way to tell the difference between a con and him. Both claim innocence. Both have a record. I can't take the chance that a new employee will steal, be insubordinate or screw with a client. He's not my problem. He's a punk. Nothing less. DUI and license checks are legal and he should just comply. He should go to law school and learn the way law is changed in America.

    It is my opinion that no amount of resisting or complaining will do anything other tan cause self-harm. America is gone and I've given-up on her.
    If America is gone and you give up on her, why should we listen to the power elite in black robes? Who broke America, the young punk or the judges?

    We're all free but we all wear chains.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Which state is that? It may be time to move again. After living here 21 years and never even seeing or hearing of a DUI checkpoint in Alabama, I got caught in two last year, both of them in the same place just a block from the turnoff to get to work, to which I was 20 minutes late both times.

    To BC1 - Maybe if the past and current older generation had been more cognizant and protective of our rights over the last century or so, youngins' with the balls to stand up to government thugs wouldn't have to do our jobs for us, and could build that clean arrest record unencumbered by tyrants.

    The notion that some rights matter and some don't is a premise that I will never understand, and definitely will never accept. Lick the boots of those who demand your rights of you if you want to, but to criticize kids who stand for theirs is just unconscionable. What do you get out of that?

    Believe it or not, everything doesn't boil down to money. “What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?” That young man had the soul to stand up for his and your God-given rights, BC, and you would punish him for the rest of his life for it. And you refer to him as a "hack?" And you refer to the attempt of people like him to hold government to the authorities the Constitution grants it as purveyors of anarchy? What is it when the government ignores all the rights of The People that it is sworn to uphold? I call it tyranny. Apparently you just think it's normal, and anyone who interrupts your enjoyment of that normalcy is deserving of your disdain. It's disgusting.

    Blues
    .
    There are many, many venues for this kid to have pursued a legitimate grievance against the idea and practice of DUI checkpoints. He could start a petition drive. Speak at town-hall meetings. Meet/communicate with his representatives both at the local and state level. Meet/communicate with the sheriff or city chief of police. Organize a legal protest if all these efforts prove fruitless. If he garners enough support, things will change. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts this kid has done none of that. That requires work, sustained work at that. No, this kid is no bill of rights hero. He was out to post a video of a confrontation that he contrived. He was wrong on at least as much as he was right. You say you were stopped at a DUI checkpoint a couple of times. Did you behave like this kid? If not, why not, if you champion his stand? Did you communicate with your local government expressing your view? Did you try to organize like-minded citizens in your area against this practice? Maybe you did, I don't know. Cop baiting is BS, and will change nothing.

  6. #35
    I'm grateful for DUI checkpoints. I've been a student of them for years since my job for many years was DUI court screenings and I still do MVD Revocation Assessments for drivers who lost their license due to DUI and are now eligible to reapply. Just reading the newspaper accounts DUI checkpoints routinely nab about 15% of the drivers. That's based on reports of how many drivers went through the checkpoint and how many were arrested. Simple math. What's important about this - other than getting the drunks off the road before they kill or injure your loved ones - is that everyone knows the cops set up the checkpoints on drinking holidays and often the locations are announced by the media. Yet drunks still happily drive through the checkpoint thinking they're "fine." Most checkpoint DUI drivers I've screened had a high tolerance and even though they were incredibly drunk they felt "fine." These are the drivers who cause tragedy. The good news is they also get a chance to be educated as to how far their drinking has gone and get a chance to address that issue. I'm all for the rights of society to cull the drunk drivers off the road as opposed to a drunk driver's "right" to drive drunk. Remember, when you get your driver's license you agree to have your blood, breath, and pee sampled in exchange for the right to drive. Next time you're cruising down the two lane think about 15 of every 100 drivers coming at you the other way being too drunk to drive.

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,613
    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    .
    There are many, many venues for this kid to have pursued a legitimate grievance against the idea and practice of DUI checkpoints. He could start a petition drive.
    Right, kind of like Californians did to get Proposition 8 on the ballot and passed in a general election....twice, only to have all those thousands of people who expressed the will of The People overturned by SCOTUS just last week. Great idea!

    ***Edit: There was a quote from JCliff's post and a reply from me here that got mangled because of a video link in it when I made an otherwise irrelevant edit. When I tried to fix the mangling, somehow I lost almost all of that paragraph, so the following paragraph may seem disjointed and without context. Oops.

    Even leaving the modern-day state of "legal" protest aside though, it's certainly not uncommon that the best-organized protests that go off without a hitch are nonetheless ignored by politicians and the courts. Best recent example I can think of was the grass-roots protest against ObamaCare between the days of March 20 - 22, 2010. I was there along with anywhere between 40,000 and 200,000 of my closest friends (depending on which source you believe - my personal feeling is that we were at least 100,000 strong). The national opposition to ObamaCare was in the 60% range on the evening it was passed. By the time the Supremes got it, it was opposed by somewhere in the range of 70%, and on the text of the bill the way it came to SCOTUS, it was ruled unconstitutional. But wait! Ol' John Roberts thought he had a better idea than restraining his court to the authorities granted him in the Constitution, as well he thought it was better to override that 70% opposition, and the most usurpative thing he did on the basis of what he perceived as his "duty" was to make the unconstitutional bill "constitutional" by changing the verbiage relating to fines into an imposition of a tax, and voila! ObamaCare was made constitutional!

    That pretty much proves to this observer that there is umm....a wall of separation between The People having free and unencumbered access to their rights, and those who usurp, violate and deny them on a regular basis.

    This is a picture taken by me with my camera that's housed on my PhotoBucket account of what I saw as I rounded the corner of the Capitol Building on March 20, 2010.

    And if anyone's interested, this is a link to the whole album devoted exclusively to that gathering.

    And if you're at all interested in the narrative that I posted about the gathering, you can find that here on another forum.

    Bottom line JCliff, none of your suggestions are very original, all of them are tried daily to mostly (by a wide margin) unsuccessful results, and liberties are frittering away day-by-day with no trustworthy, oath-abiding authorities to turn to for relief, from the Supreme Court to the Congress to the President on down to the lowliest elected officials in our respective state and local systems. As young as the guy in the subject-video may be, he seems to have already figured that out, and at least tried to do something about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    If he garners enough support, things will change.
    Can you name an issue that was changed by protests or meetings with LEOs and their bosses etc? I mean, yeah, there was that darned prohibition thing, right? Or the women's suffragette movement, or maybe we need to mount a movement of the magnitude of the civil rights movement to get rid of the very simple and obvious constitutional violation of ignoring the 1st Amendment mandate for probable cause before a citizen is forced by "law" to interact with law enforcement involuntarily. Is that what you're suggesting is what this kid should do instead of simply standing up for his rights on the spot?

    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    I'll bet dollars to doughnuts this kid has done none of that. That requires work, sustained work at that.
    Maybe he's done those things, maybe not, but his "work ethic" towards major political movements is not really the point, is it? He has obviously learned to read, he has obviously read the 1st Amendment and relied on the force of law it represents, and it was everyone from the cops who hassled him for no reason to the Supreme Court who is going against that law, not the kid who tried to defend his own rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    No, this kid is no bill of rights hero. He was out to post a video of a confrontation that he contrived.
    How do you know he contrived that encounter in any way? Just because he had a video camera? Just because he turned it on when he realized he was being herded into a contact with LE involuntarily, and he wanted to document it? I'd venture to say that 75% or better of us have a video camera with us at all times in the form of our cell phones. Whether that was a cell phone video or not is irrelevant though. He wanted to document what he believed was an illegal stop, which as far as I'm concerned, is only prudent these days. Also as far as I can tell, that is the extent of evidence that you have that he contrived anything, and I find such evidence to be nothing more compelling than being based in a bias against anyone, kid or geezer, who stands up for their rights on the spot.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    He was wrong on at least as much as he was right.
    Not if you just read the words in the 1st Amendment he wasn't. He was 100% right according to those words. It's just too damned inconvenient for LE to be held to those words, so courts, being on the same side of the authorities that LEOs are, have relieved them of the inconvenience of having to have probable cause to initiate a stop. The kid was right - the courts and LE are wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    You say you were stopped at a DUI checkpoint a couple of times. Did you behave like this kid? If not, why not, if you champion his stand?
    Like I said, I was late for work because of those stops. No, I didn't challenge the cops either of those times, but I don't see how that makes my stance any less valid. I said in my last post that things are the way they are and there's not a whole lot we can do about them, but suggested that all of us who claim to be highly concerned with the erosion of our rights should at least be telling the truth about incidents like this one, and that's all I've done, is tell the truth as I see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    Did you communicate with your local government expressing your view? Did you try to organize like-minded citizens in your area against this practice? Maybe you did, I don't know.
    Nope, I didn't over this particular issue, but I have spent countless hours and monies on other issues. I'm one man. I have pretty big shoulders, but I can't carry the weight of every single issue that comes down the pike, even if many of them are important enough for me to express an opinion about on these boards. Now you know. So?

    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    Cop baiting is BS, and will change nothing.
    And ignoring the words as-written in the Constitution by cops just because the oligarchy known as the Supreme Court gives them permission to is much, much more stanky BS, and reveals a character of all who would do such as morally, ethically and legally bankrupt, which as far as I can tell, is the entirety of LE in this country, and the subject-video is just one very minor and obscure example in a virtual sea of much more egregious examples that is consistent with that overall conclusion.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,613
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I like the DUI checks.
    Then you don't like the 4th Amendment as-written or as-intended. I do. I think it's safe to say that the kid in the subject video does too.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I don't drink often and never would drive.
    I don't drink or do drugs at all, and haven't had so much as a single beer for at least 15 years, which is one reason that I know that in my case, there is no conceivable probable cause even possible to force me into a stop to "check my sobriety" and a contact with LE that I want no part of. That's the problem. It's not a DUI check, it's a freakin' fishing expedition, and that's exactly what the 4th Amendment was written to prohibit. The kid in the video wasn't drunk or drugged, was he? No, he just questioned the JBT's authority, and BOOM! THAT's what that dragnet garnered, not a person driving while under the influence.

    If you "like" DUI checkpoints so much, and if you want to smoke and joke with the cops on the side of the road where you live, can't you do that without vocalizing your support for the violation of every other citizen in America's rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I sure don't want to get killed by someone who decided to point a 3,000 pound weapon at me and pull.
    Do you have any stats on how many impaired drivers are caught in these road-side fishing expeditions? If you honestly believe that they are efficient at stopping drunk drivers.....well, no, I'm not going to say you're delusional because I know you're not, but without some pretty substantial showing of efficacy for these kinds of catch-all-that-catch-very-few road blocks, I'm going to have to say that they aren't worth the hit to our rights that they unquestionably impose.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Countless... countless times this has reached appellate courts both state and federal and has repeatedly found to be constitutional.
    Then square those countless usurpations with this:

    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

    That is the law from which all other laws concerning searches of any kind flow. It doesn't give local, state or federal lawmakers the option of adding caveats to it, or of removing protections from it. All those countless decisions and rulings to which you refer are nothing less than the government making it easier and more convenient for the government to usurp that law, which renders the law null and void by their own acts of usurpation!

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    It isn't about what I believe is constitutional.
    It should be.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    The law of the land is set down by nine robed judges.
    True. Which is why I said that it should be about what is constitutional for you, because what you describe (accurately) here, describes a dictatorial oligarchy, and not a representative republic. So the kid in this video is standing for a constitutional right that you aren't personally very concerned with. If the above quote is true, and I believe with all my heart that it is, then sooner or later that oligarchy will get around to usurping rights that do effect you personally, and all your pontificating about your need for a clean arrest record or whatever, isn't going to matter a wit. The whole country has been acquiescing our rights away to an oligarchy in black robes for at least 100 years, and the logical conclusion of that apathy and complacency is that you and that kid could be sharing the same jail cell for no legal reason sooner or later.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    And Junior doesn't look old enough to be an attorney. If he wants to argue points of constitutional law he should get a J.D. That's IF a school will accepts him after arrest.
    Wow. No one but an attorney should protest our government? Sometimes you say stuff that I can't imagine even you believe. Keep the hyperbole down to a dull roar, would ya please?

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  9. #38
    I hope the dog scratched the crap out of his hood for being a wangdong. This video proves nothing than rampant wangdongness. These retarded videos are all over youtube and proves that kids like this one have no other better things to do in life than to be a.......wangdong. People can clear a DUI checkpoint in about 1-2 min after speaking with the LEO. Even if they only nail 2 DUI operators in a night, that's all good with me. I don't feel as though I should or even my family should share the roads with intoxicated drivers.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,086
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Your foot traffic is already regulated in many states. Jaywalking can get you a ticket.

    And by the way, I don't condone the illegal search that was done in the video. Now where are your papers for your insurance, registration, and DL? All three are normally requested at a traffic stop.
    A normal traffic stop is precipitated by an officer observing a law being broken.
    At a dui checkpoint, you are being questioned for no reason. Next they'll be searching our homes without cause, because we might have contraband. Like guns. Or 13 round magazines.

    Or forcing us out of our home at gunpoint, because there might be a terrorist inside.

    How can you not see how insidious this kind of thing is?

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    I hope the dog scratched the crap out of his hood for being a wangdong. This video proves nothing than rampant wangdongness. These retarded videos are all over youtube and proves that kids like this one have no other better things to do in life than to be a.......wangdong. People can clear a DUI checkpoint in about 1-2 min after speaking with the LEO. Even if they only nail 2 DUI operators in a night, that's all good with me. I don't feel as though I should or even my family should share the roads with intoxicated drivers.
    "Better a thousand guilty men go free than one innocent be imprisoned."

    Yes, thousands of peoples Rights are violated, but as long as they catch the bad guys it's worth it...

    Sounds like the pathetic calling of gun control...if only to save one child's life....
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast