Racial Profiling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racial Profiling

Racial Profiling

Three items:
    1) If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and flies like a duck, it is safe to assume that it a duck. This saying sounds harmless because people do not think of ducks as dangerous.
    2) A better analogy might be, If you walk down a street and a dog runs out and bites you in the leg, that could be seen as a singular event. If you walk down another street and another dog runs out and bites you in the leg, that could be a coincidence. If, while walking down another street, another dog shows up, you would be exceedingly foolish to not be nervous. And that nervousness could cause a person to carry some sort of weapon, and to interpret movement as hostile. One could be wrong, but the mental preparation for conflict is normal and understandable as it is safer to prepare for conflict (especially when death or serious bodily injury is involved.)
    3) So, I think that a better mode of thought would be to understand this: If it looks like a tiger, and growls like a tiger, and stalks like a tiger, it would be exceedingly perilous to call it something else, or ignore the possibility of danger.
    "Racial profiling" is another name for discrimination. Discrimination means "sorting" and we do this many times a day when we choose between one thing and another. Humans do this normally and frequently because it is a positive survival characteristic. Somebody complaining about it isn't going change anything as long as suspicion of strangers remains a positive survival characteristic. That is as much wishful thinking as the thought that women as combatants on the battlefield is a good idea.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I confess that I am baffled that people seem to miss this. It is the damned way that human information processing works. Feed me enough information that links a set of characteristics together with a given behavior and if I do not make the connection, then there is something wrong with me. People who cannot learn associations between things are most often compromised in some way. If you want to look like a bad ass, gangsta, criminal, then don't be surprised when people take you for one.

Absolutely, discrimination is simply noting differences and that types of outcomes occur in the presence of different stimuli. It is what humans have evolved to do to survive. In days gone by, the ability to note certain characteristics and react accordingly was an ability that lead to survival. It remains that way today.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

It appears to me, that some believed and argue (including our President and Attorney General) that a persons civil liberties can be violated if you stop them from attacking and beating you. The President suggested if the race of the individuals were switched the outcome of the trial might have been different. I do not believe that would have happened. I would have been outraged, if the evidence was the same, and a black man was convicted for defending himself from an attack by a white man, or anyone else.
    Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no Evil, for YOU are with me; Remington 44 Mag:

5. He is wrong because here is the case that proves it - one the media hasn't covered because a black man killed a white teenage and was acquitted as self-defense.
    The Minority Report Blog | Conservative News & Opinion
    Here is another link: http://www.delawarepolitics.net/rode...rge-zimmerman/
    And another: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-nobody-cares/

Quote Originally Posted by the dark View Post
    I confess that I am baffled that people seem to miss this. It is the damned way that human information processing works. Feed me enough information that links a set of characteristics together with a given behavior and if I do not make the connection, then there is something wrong with me. People who cannot learn associations between things are most often compromised in some way. If you want to look like a bad ass, gangsta, criminal, then don't be surprised when people take you for one.

Absolutely, discrimination is simply noting differences and that types of outcomes occur in the presence of different stimuli. It is what humans have evolved to do to survive. In days gone by, the ability to note certain characteristics and react accordingly was an ability that lead to survival. It remains that way today.
    Dark: You are one of a few on here that I know to be black men and have made sense in comments you have made on different subjects. We haven't always agreed on the subjects but we have disagreed in a civil manner without race being involved. I don't pretend to think that race relations have always been good in the US but, being as old as I am, I can say with certainty that things have greatly improved in the last fifty years but, those like Rev. Al, Jesse, current NAACP members and NBPP seem bent on destroying those improvements. The younger generation is being led down the primrose path and enslaved by dependence on the government dole. They don't seem to want to work, especially if they can make more sitting on their duffs and being paid by Uncle Sam. The government can not continue subsidizing the indolent and will soon be cutting a lot of the freebies. What will the young people do then? You know as well as I do what they will do and that will be a sad day for us all.

I profile everyday... everywhere I go. There, I said it. Not based off of race, based off of the way somebody is dressed, their associates are dressed, their mannerisms, the way they may look at me or others, they way I may hear them speak, and I listen to my instincts. If my instincts are telling me to be cautious, for whatever reason... I listen. Everywhere I go, I examine the people around me to determine, as best I can, if they are carrying a weapon. I look into people's eyes and I look at their hands...

I PEOPLE profile, yes.

There's a quote from Gen. James Mattis I like. "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Racial Profiling

Racial Profiling equates to statistical probabilities. ALL this is nothing more then Criminal profiling with race being one of many items in the profile. NUF SAID..........
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Dark: You are one of a few on here that I know to be black men and have made sense in comments you have made on different subjects.
    I am sorry my friend if my chosen moniker has been confusing, but I am not black. My user name is actually a different reference that I will not bother to explain. I hope that does not diminish the sense of any comments I may have made (I am sure, to those who ARE black it would diminish my credibility). Indeed, on many issues I do not agree with all I read here but also think we have been able to disagree in a civil manner - that was, once, the hallmark of our society and, I think, a factor that was the foundation of the founders' plan - and informed citizenry that could engage in meaningful, rational debate. I do agree with your comments here; that the finite ability of the government to maintain its programs that support people who cannot survive otherwise will ultimately do nothing but foment discontent when the hand out is no longer there. That will be a sad day for us all.

My comments on discrimination largely emerge from my training - in many different areas. It has always been an evolutionary advantage that we discriminate and do so rapidly. It is not a perfect system - it does not always function well - but it IS what we do, it IS how we are built. And, as I noted, those who cannot learn to make such distinctions are usually considered compromised in some way. It is disingenuous for a society that feeds it citizens images and sounds that consistently link styles of dress and race and ethnicity, to then expect people not to make discriminations. Perhaps many who are my age remember when anyone having a tattoo was considered a "hoodlum". I can remember, as a white teen, being stopped and held by LEO numerous times when walking down the street, because at that time a bearded young man with hair down his back walking in that neighborhood (where I lived) was considered a suspect looking for a crime to commit. Profiles are not randomly created - there is a reason they become profiles. It is always part of our initial threat assessment to take a quick overall snapshot and assign some level of risk. Is it always accurate or foolproof? No, but it is what we do. Someday I will publish the many pages I have written on this topic.

Years of exposure to images of hooded gangstas in movies and music videos with misogynous and violent lyrics is bound to create such learning. In fact, it is that media presentation that leads young men, such as Martin, to begin living that lifestyle and dress that way so as to create just that impression. It is foolish to then say "Why did you suspect him" when he chose to look suspicious, chose to appear to be (and perhaps was) a dangerous criminal; this need not be an issue solely about race, either. As young white men have adopted this style, they, too, must accept that they begin to be associated with a lifestyle that makes them suspicious and may put them at risk.

Again - "The Dark" refers to something else, I am not black and that userID was not meant to deceive - my profile pic, both current and previous - has always shown me to be white.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Fudo, they had to use Duck because we all know that Geese are not harmless. And I would label 0bama a Goose. Noisy as one for sure.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Dark: I assumed you were black from the picture I first saw on your profile. Not the picture I see now. If you were black, it would not make any difference to me. I try to see the person, not the color of their skin. I was raised in the South during the days of racial discrimination and know first hand what things were like back then. At the age of sixteen, I lied about my age and entered the military and literally matured there. It was there that I learned skin color did not make the man, only what was inside the skin, and I lost the prejudices of race. Over many years I developed relationships with blacks that I still cherish to this day. One memory I will never forget occurred while on maneuvers in Kershaw, SC. A black soldier was assigned to our unit. We stopped at a local motel/restaurant to eat lunch. Because we had that black soldier with us, we were all run out of the place, the door locked and we were cursed all the way back to our vehicles. I had never been exposed to that type hostility before and it ended what prejudices I may have had before. On that day, I learned what it was like to be black and to face discrimination. I have seen race relations take a turn for the better in my life and would like to see that continue. I have found the younger blacks of today being the cause of their own problems. They are vulgar in their language, their dress and their general attitude of being due preferential treatment. The crime rate among blacks is inordinately high but, to hear them talk, they are innocent of any wrongdoing, even when caught in the act of a crime. They wear their pants with the crack of their azz showing and think that is cool. They wear dread locks which makes them look like the Aborigines of Australia and they love to make a scene in stores and restaurants over nothing at all. They deliberately draw attention to themselves and expect society to be accepting of their behavior. One thing I found particularly distressing about dealing with blacks was that they have a tendency to lie rather than admit to anything. I was an Administration Manager in several organizations and was responsible for disciplining personnel. Many blacks, even in the face of witnesses and evidence of wrong doing, would continually lie about the matter rather than own up to it. That is the type of behavior that alienates people and, until changed, will not help in any type of relationship. Racial profiling? Yes, and they make it necessary.
    With the advent of Neighborhood Watches profiling became necessary for people to protect their own property and lives. If one dresses in the manner of a hoodlum and is walking in a neighborhood in the wee hours of the morning, hell yes, you will be profiled. If a black is a victim caught or harmed by neighborhood watch personnel, you will see the same reaction as with TM and GZ. Unfortunate, sad, but true. The unfortunate thing is that there are many, many blacks who try to be upstanding citizens, work for their living and take pride in themselves. Then, there is that ten percent who screw it up for the rest. Why don't the race baiters go after that ten percent? No money in that and they use simpletons for claimed victims of discrimination. Where are the smarter black people to stand up for their race? (No, your comments have not been diminished by my mistaken identity.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast