An interesting take

Thread: An interesting take

An interesting take

Si vis pacem para bellum

That is a well thought out article, and I am surprised the Huffington Post actually published it.

Only because it was written by a black man. IMHO if a white man had written the EXACT same article they would not. I am tired of it. Why can't I like or dislike a person based on whether or not they are a dumb-azz without the color of their skin becoming involved? If I hate a white person it's not a problem, but if I hate someone from any other race for the exact same reason then I'm racist. I think that one of the worst things that has happened in this country is so-called "political correctness". The problem is that it is never about correctness, it's just political.
    Chief

Doctor King had it right. Character is vastly more important than color. Unfortunately there is a severe shortage of "character-ists" and no shortage of "racists" of any skin color. You may be right whodat2710, the Hufpo may not have published that same article if the author was white, just because it would not suit the papers political leanings.

I am alone in VA, my family in SC. I live in the low rent district of Norfolk due to still having a mortgage etc. in SC. A few months ago there was a knock on my door, and a young girl asked if she could use my phone. To make a long story short, a 16 year old black girl hung out with an almost 50 year old white guy for about an hour waiting for her mom to show up. We talked about everything from her wanting to join the military to her views on Obama. She was in the ROTC at her school and had no end of questions about the Coast Guard, and the military in general. In short, I had a blossoming, curious young mind open to my views (even though she may have just been polite, which says volumes) and actually listening! I was not thought of as some creepy-azz cracker, and I did not view her as some unfortunate black child from a broken home. We were just two people, one with a wealth of worldly experience and one with the innate ability to listen and the open mind and desire to learn.
    -
    Everyone can make a difference. Being from New Orleans, and the fact that my schools were about a 50/50 split between black and white, I may have a different viewpoint. But in the end, if we are all Americans with American values, isn't that what counts?
    -
    Perhaps Reverend Manning addresses the problem best:
    Pastor Calls Trayvon Martin 'Pot-Smoking, Paranoid 17-Year-Old Boy,' Rails at Church for Being 'Black' on Verdict
    Chief

I hate whats going on, and wondering if I'm being racist. But then, I think back 13 years to when a friend of mine died suddenly from a brain anurism. He was living at my house (rent free) and helping me doing some modernization projects. When he died, we were in the locker room at a ski resort where we both worked, getting booted up for the days work. After a short time, many who knew my friend started up an educational foundation in his name, and I've been on the board of directors for 12 years now. I miss my buddy, and enjoy carrying on his name and beliefs.
    Oh, my friend was black, I'm white.