Micky D's Minimum Wage Budget Ignores Tax Credits, Food Stamps and Reality - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Micky D's Minimum Wage Budget Ignores Tax Credits, Food Stamps and Reality

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Yup. Plus, if you make me pay workers more I raise the price of the product to compensate. And I'm not paying more $$ to someone who can't fill a simple order of a burger, fries and soda without mashing it together or screwing up the order. No skills, no pride in work = low pay.
    How Much Would A Big Mac Cost If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 Per Hour? - Forbes

Unfortunately, he's missing the larger picture of increased prices across the spectrum of food service employment... Micky D's wouldn't be the only one raise the compensation to it's employers. What would become of the environment then? Additionally, would the suppliers providing the food not take the opportunity to make more profit from it's mechandise by raising it's prices? If you were selling product X at $1.00 to A, and A sold it at $1.25 but then A raised it's prices to $1.50... that means that said supplier was missing out on additional profit, being as that the market was okay paying $1.50 for the product b/c, let's assume the demand remained. If you think the suppliers wouldn't raise their prices b/c of this... you're fooling yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Howdy gunnerbob,

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    McDonald's Minimum Wage Budget Ignores Tax Credits, Food Stamps And Reality - Forbes

Interestingly, you should be able to spot the underlying issue... government intervention. What the supporters of minimum wage fail to understand, is that by forcing (via law) civilian employers to pay it's employees more... the work force will simply be reduced to make up for the losses in revenue by more pay. You see, if employer X pays it's 50 employees $7.25hr... it can sustain the 50 employee work force. If said employer is forced to pay it's employees $9-10.00hr... they will just cut five employees from the force to cover the difference. The remianing employees will have to pick up the slack of the fired employees, thus still feeling underpayed for the work they do. Further, those employees who were fired are now unemployed and sucking the gov't teet of unemployment. The system hasn't gone anywhere, people. Between the overhead, taxes and regulations... AmeriKan businesses are already on thin ice and more gov't intervention isn't the solution.
    So, right after posting this you informed your employer that you would work for a $1.00 an hour without any benefits, vacations, healthcare, etc so he could hire more employees so each employee could do less work, right?

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Howdy tattedupboy,

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Not only that, but in the future, people with few skills will have a harder time finding work if minimum wage is increased. Those who favor a minimum wage law seem not to understand that the law of supply and demand also applies to wages; the more they're required to spend on labor, the less labor they'll use, and the higher the unemployment rate will be in the long run.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    WTF?!?

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on the 'Net.

Actaully this is ol' skool 1950's line of thinking in Big Business. Labor is cheap so throw a lot of people into the workforce to complete a job.

Today in 2013 Big Business no longer thinks that way. The new "Lean Thinking" is to use a bare bones workforce.

I work at a manufactoring plant that has been here since the 60's. Today, with basically the same equipment that has been here for over 30 years you produce 35% more product while only producing 5% of the scrape material with 75% of the workforce.

Sad part is the fact that as I call them the "Paper shufflers" that work in the front office has doubled. They do not buy of sell anything, they just write reports so they can go to meetings.

A couple of years ago my boss had to go to a 10:00 meeting. The 10:00 meetings was been ing held so they could decide what to discuss in their daily 2:00 meeting.

The next day, same thing.

Etc.

Still happens every day M-F.

Paul

While you enjoy your McDonalds food, think about this. It isn't that McDonalds pays kids too little, it is that the kids expect everything to be given to them. They are taught that in school and by the media. McDonalds down here had to bus kids into Palm Beach County a few years back because the kids there locally wouldn't work for the wages they could get. Instead they'd apply for welfare when they turned 18. I started working in 1977 for the state at the wage of $3.15 an hour. Dad, after getting out of the Navy, went to work for FP&L in 1971 for the same pay of $3.15 an hour. $3.15 an hour back then for a family of four was still poverty level but many were glad to just have a job. Not like today's ( I've got to have a new iPhone ) kids.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    How Much Would A Big Mac Cost If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 Per Hour? - Forbes

Unfortunately, he's missing the larger picture of increased prices across the spectrum of food service employment... Micky D's wouldn't be the only one raise the compensation to it's employers. What would become of the environment then? Additionally, would the suppliers providing the food not take the opportunity to make more profit from it's mechandise by raising it's prices? If you were selling product X at $1.00 to A, and A sold it at $1.25 but then A raised it's prices to $1.50... that means that said supplier was missing out on additional profit, being as that the market was okay paying $1.50 for the product b/c, let's assume the demand remained. If you think the suppliers wouldn't raise their prices b/c of this... you're fooling yourself.
    Bob, imagine what our homes would cost if we were required to use union construction workers. A two-bedroom house would be $500K. Just had a new roof put on my house. Contractor sent six guys, none over 5'6", only one spoke English. Mira, Inmigración esta aqui.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    WTF?!?

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on the 'Net. Actaully this is ol' skool 1950's line of thinking in Big Business. Labor is cheap so throw a lot of people into the workforce to complete a job. Today in 2013 Big Business no longer thinks that way. The new "Lean Thinking" is to use a bare bones workforce. Paul
    I think you are missing a big point here. Why do you compare McDonalds to "big business"? Do you know what a franchise is? McDonalds is a large corporation, but each store is owned by an individual. They are actually a small business unless the same guy owns a handful of stores.
    -If the guy has 50 employees, he pays X in salary
    -If minimum wages go up, he has few options. Raise prices (franchises aren't allowed much latitude on that), pay fewer people, or lose money.
    -they can't save money on product, it is controlled by the Corporation for consistency.
    -I'm sure they have very few benefits except for full-time management employees, so not much to do there except change them to part time and kill their benefits or have fewer managers. neither is really a good option because quality and consistency would go down.
    -
    If they raised prices, you would just skip that McDonalds and go to the next one. Easiest option is to cut enough employees so that the overall salary paid out remains the same.
    -
    The other option is the Liberal one that says the evil business owner should just have less profit so it can be redistributed to the needy...
    Chief

Howdy whodat,

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I think you are missing a big point here. Why do you compare McDonalds to "big business"? Do you know what a franchise is? McDonalds is a large corporation, but each store is owned by an individual. They are actually a small business unless the same guy owns a handful of stores.
    -If the guy has 50 employees, he pays X in salary
    -If minimum wages go up, he has few options. Raise prices (franchises aren't allowed much latitude on that), pay fewer people, or lose money.
    -they can't save money on product, it is controlled by the Corporation for consistency.
    -I'm sure they have very few benefits except for full-time management employees, so not much to do there except change them to part time and kill their benefits or have fewer managers. neither is really a good option because quality and consistency would go down.
    -
    If they raised prices, you would just skip that McDonalds and go to the next one. Easiest option is to cut enough employees so that the overall salary paid out remains the same.
    -
    The other option is the Liberal one that says the evil business owner should just have less profit so it can be redistributed to the needy...
    Nope, I didn't miss the point.

So, since you are NOT a Liberal right after you made your post you told your boss/employer that you would work for free plus work an additional 30 hours/wk for free so he could make a higher profit margin, right?

I find it funny/strange that some many people that are (R)'s want everyone to work for reduced wages so their employer can make a higher profit margin. Well, everyone except themselves that is.

Paul

Howdy BC1,

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Bob, imagine what our homes would cost if we were required to use union construction workers. A two-bedroom house would be $500K. Just had a new roof put on my house. Contractor sent six guys, none over 5'6", only one spoke English. Mira, Inmigración esta aqui.
    For starters the contractor should be in jail for employee illegal aliens.

Two years ago I had a 24'x30' shop built at my house and I used a contractor that only uses US Citizens. I had to pass on the first two because they only used illegals.

It's just a matter of morals, values, ethics and principles. Plus the US Citizens did an excellent job and cost the same price as the two contractors that employees illegals.

Union workers drive of the cost of items? Really? I guess that's why a Toyota pick up made by non-Union and illegal workers in San Antiono is so much cheaper the an equivalent Dodge, Ford of Chevy that's made by Union workers.

Oh, wait............. The Toyota is the most expensive of the 4 trucks. How is this possible?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy whodat,

Nope, I didn't miss the point.

So, since you are NOT a Liberal right after you made your post you told your boss/employer that you would work for free plus work an additional 30 hours/wk for free so he could make a higher profit margin, right?

I find it funny/strange that some many people that are (R)'s want everyone to work for reduced wages so their employer can make a higher profit margin. Well, everyone except themselves that is.

Paul
    No, we actually want the government to stay the hell out of business. They are bad at it. Look at our debt. They do things like raising the minimum wage so they can get votes from low-information voters. That same small business owner that keeps paying low-skilled workers minimum wage (with raises for tenure and increased skill) will be more likely to expand and open another franchise, thus producing more jobs, thus creating more revenue for the gub'ment in the form of taxes, etc.
    -
    In answer to your incessant straw-man argument that we should tell our bosses we will work for free, that is just ignorant. In a piss poor economy, I would be very happy to continue working for the same wage (and have a job) rather than have my employer be forced to pay everyone more with the possibility that I might not be one of them because he can't afford to pay as many people that forced wage.
    -
    Too bad you can't vote for Obama again huh...
    Chief

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast