Zimmerman, why are Americans letteing the media and politicians decide for them?

Thread: Zimmerman, why are Americans letteing the media and politicians decide for them?

1. Zimmerman, why are Americans letteing the media and politicians decide for them?

I believe the George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin incident is more of a tragedy then just the fact of a 17 year old boy losing his life. It shows the sorry state of a country that is supposed to represent the ability to learn, accept, adapt, improve, and move on with life. Somehow our country is still stuck in past and refuses to move forward when it comes to racism.

Even though I do believe there are incidents of racism and people in this world that are racist, I do not believe that George Zimmerman is a racist nor did he profile Trayvon Martin because he was a black teen. I believe that this was a case of someone that was watching out for their home and neighborhood, like people used to do years ago when people cared about and knew their neighbors better.

Let’s look at this from a different perspective. From the time I was a little boy, I was taught and the older I get the more it is taught to the youth is to look for signs of things that could become a problem before it is a problem so we can prevent bad things from happening. Examples are; watch the friend that is drinking all the time, he might be an alcoholic. Watch the neighbor that does weird things, acts weird, and could be hiding things; he could be a kidnaper with three girls hidden in his house for 10 years. If there are allot of break-ins and vandalism in the neighborhood, look out for anyone that appears suspicious, or acts like they don’t belong.

From the beginning this whole case has been processed by the media, the public and politics, not by the facts and actions that led up to the event. If you do not believe this, please take off your blinders and read the rest. I will keep opinions and media hype out of this and use only facts, but will show how media, public, and politics affected the case.

Who is George Zimmerman? George Zimmerman is 5’7”, 185 lbs. and a person who was liked in his neighborhood by all, not just the whites, the blacks, or the Hispanic. He had people of different races that said they don’t believe he is a racist, helped people of different races and even had interracial relationships. In early 2011, Zimmerman participated in a citizen forum at the Sanford City Hall, to protest the beating of a black homeless man by the son of a white Sanford police officer. During the meeting, Zimmerman called the behavior of officers on duty "disgusting" and detailed officers napping while on duty and refusing to take on difficult assignments.[1]This does not sound like a person that is a racist. He tried to get on the police force, was part of the neighborhood watch and has call 911 several times to report incidents in his neighborhood. Does that in anyway make him racist? No. Does it make him an overzealous citizen that is interested in the law? Yes, but is that a bad thing? It could be if the person tries to take the law into their own hands. It can also be good if used the right way, like caring and watching out for your family and those around you which is something that most people will not do anymore, they would rather turn their heads the other way just so they won’t be involved. It is this attitude that allows someone to hide three young girls in their basement for ten years and get away with it. Final question, is there any real evidence that George Zimmerman was a racist, other than the false stuff that the media publicized? No.

Who is Trayvon Martin? Trayvon Martin 5’11”, 158 lbs. and was a typical 17 year old high school student that was temporarily living with his father because he was suspended from school and having problems at home. At the time of the shooting he was suspend from school and had been suspended twice before. Once for tardiness and truancy and another suspension in October 2011 was for graffiti, when Martin was observed by a security camera in a restricted area of the school marking up a door with "W.T.F." Martin's third suspension involved a marijuana pipe and an empty bag containing marijuana residue. 1
    The only facts that anyone other than George Zimmerman are sure of are: 1. Trayvon Martin was walking through the Retreat at Twin Lakes gated community at the same time George Zimmerman was driving through the same community. 2. George called 911 to report a suspicious looking person and that person was Trayvon. 3. George followed Trayvon. 4.The 911 dispatcher told George that they did not need him to follow Trayvon. The reason the 911 dispatcher told him “they do not need” instead of “Do not” is because a dispatcher is not allowed to give an order to a citizen. 5. An altercation occurred. 6. Trayvon was shot and killed. 7. The jury after hearing all the evidence and listening to the witnesses determined that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute George for any crime.
    In the beginning the police who trained professionals on investigation and were there two minutes after the shooting, talked to all the witnesses and examined all the evidence and questioned George for hours, while it was still fresh in everyone’s mind. Determined that George was innocent of any crime and released him without charge. In the end our legal system also determined the same outcome as the police did in the beginning. So what happened in between? There were three factors, the media, the public, and politics.

The media factor I believe was the major contributor and what started the controversy of a normal case that should have been over after the police completed their investigation. I, myself at that point had not heard anything about the George and Trayvon shooting. The first media report I heard was that a white man had called 911 and reported a suspicious looking person in his neighborhood and then under his breath said the statement “******* Coons” referring to Trayvon being a black person. At this point I even jumped on the ban wagon and said that this guy should be prosecuted. As I watched the case develop through the media I read headlines: “White 29 year old man shoots Unarmed 17 year old boy”, Neighborhood watchman with gun shoots unarmed teen, etc. All these headlines are made for one thing, to catch the eye of the public and get them to read their paper, article or magazine, whether or not it paints a one sided picture. The purpose of this is solely for monetary profit, not to report accurate news like the media was originally designed to do.
    The public factor was similar to my first reaction, “George needs to be prosecuted for what he did.” The difference is I watched all sides not just stuck with me first reaction. After the media started reporting George as a racist, they realized that it was selling and even more media started reporting the same way. After this the public, acting on what they felt was a horrible injustice, started protesting. This public reaction is a complete normal and expected reaction. I feel us in the United States have this ability because of the freedom we have been given and it is a GREAT thing if used properly. The problem is, as more facts and information came out, the media would only report the money making facts and the public “now outraged” would only listen to what they believed. Between the media, the public outcry, and also other different groups protesting. The politics started getting involved.

The politics of this case were ridicules, but was the final and main reason that George was charged with a crime. When was the last time that a governor, congressmen, or the President of the United States got involved in a local shooting? I truly believe that if the politicians where never involved in this, George would not have been charged with a crime and it would not have seen the courthouse, because after the shooting and investigation it was correctly determined, by the letter of the law, there was no crime.

The laws that covered this case were the Stand-your-ground law which is a type of self-defense law that gives individuals the right to use reasonable force to defend themselves without any requirement to evade or retreat from a dangerous situation[2] , The Florida Statutes for JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE which states: Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if: (1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or (2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013. History.—s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1188, ch. 97-102; s. 2, ch. 2005-27.[3] Of those two laws the only one used for the trial was the self-defense law, the stand your ground was not used, and Concealed weapons laws, which George had applied for, received and was legally carrying his weapon. He was also not on neighborhood watch duty at the time, so there was no reason that he should not have been carrying his weapon.

In closing, this entire case should have never made it to court. If you consider only the true evidence and facts in the case you will not be able to come to any other conclusion. 1st fact, George Zimmerman gave a complete statement and reenactment to the police which was never proven any different. 2nd most of the media circus on this case was made to give the appearance of a large adult male shooting a small unarmed high school student including lies from the media in order to sell the story and make money. The public bought into the stories causing the media to publish more of the same which enraged the public even more to the point of certain groups making threats to George and his family. 3rd fact is the politicians fell into the same trap as the citizens by pushing the law enforcement officials to prosecute a case that should have never going to court just to make sure they get their votes. That sad thing is, even though George has been proven innocent not once by the, but also by a jury the government and people are still not happy, they want to push for a civil trial. Where do we draw the line? Do we do it when George is put in front of an angry mob on the capitol steps and let them stone him to death?

One last note, while writing this I read another article from fox news that George Zimmerman and one other person saved a man from a rolled over truck in an automotive accident instead of staying hidden and passing it up. Doesn’t sound like cold blooded racist killer to me.

[1] Fact from wikipedia.org

[2]wikipedia.org Stand-your-ground_law

[3]fl statutes

There is a major problem in this writeup. #3 and #4 are out of order.
    3. The 911 dispatcher told George that they did not need him to follow Trayvon. The reason the 911 dispatcher told him “they do not need” instead of “Do not” is because a dispatcher is not allowed to give an order to a citizen. 4. George did follow Trayvon.
    Reverse those two, and the whole case takes on a different flavor. GZ was already out and attempting to ascertain where TM had gone before the dispatcher said he did not need to do that.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

4. got it, thanks for pointing that out.