Green Ammo helps promote No Ammo

Thread: Green Ammo helps promote No Ammo

Blog Entries

Green Ammo helps promote No Ammo

Ammunition has been added to Obama's Green Agenda, to help his Antigun Agenda, with the apparent aim of using the federal agency green purchasing program to force ammunition manufacturers to switch from lead to non-lead bullets.

At the same time in efforts to deplete the Nation of ammo the federal government agrees to buy “all” lead-based ammunition in pre-production from major manufacturers.

“This could explain the huge FEMA, DHS purchase over the last couple years.

Even the U.S. military is supposed to shift to “green,” non-toxic or lead-free composite projectiles.

Bullet ?health? fears dry up ammo supplies
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

The "explanation" makes no sense. If the Feds were really trying to buy up all the lead-based ammo out there so that only the green ammo would be produced, then why stop at only .40 cal and .223? Why not buy up the 9mm, the .45 cal, and the .308 rounds which are extremely popular rounds? Why not go after .380, .30-30 and .30-06? They bought up only .40 and .223 and this "bought up" idea is misleading too, this purchase covers a 10 year period. In addition, the Feds didn't "buy-up" the ammo from major manufactures, they bid the sale to one manufacturer who will produce (that means load it new, not buy what is already out there) the ammo for the Feds over that 10 year period.

Now, with such a large order, I'm sure lead and brass are going to be harder to come by, and when the fear-mongering among us happens and we panic buy, then there really is a shortage of ammo.

Also, pushing a green ammo law into effect does what really for an anti-gun agenda? We already have non-lead shot for shotguns when used for fowl hunting. Has this discouraged duck and goose hunters? No. If a law comes down that says lead bullets are out, the most difficult thing is going to produce a bullet that does not have serious over-penetration. Lead is used because it is soft and can deform on impact well. Bismuth or steel will not deform as well, and will act much like a FMJ round. What I don't like is that all the science and technology for ammo has been aimed at lead for bullets, and not so much for other metals. It will take awhile for ballistics tests to be done to produce a quality defensive round for handguns. But I'm sure one will be had. The question will be, how expensive will it be.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

+1 for Wolf_Fire. Especially the last line: "...how expensive will it be?" This could be an 'un(?)' intended effect of the 'green' effort, that is to remove funds from the shooting world. Imagine the 'rush' for new ammunition if lead is 'banned' and only 'green' rounds are produced, and at a greater cost per round. You can look at the .22LR situation right now: supply is slowly returning and the cost per round is 5x the pre Sandy Hook price for rounds that cannot be reloaded easily.
    ________

DRNurse1

I guess it's time to stock up on Barnes bullets. Or maybe buy stock in Barnes bullets.

Small problem Wolf Fire. The contracts were for a 5 year period and not a 10 year one. That right there allows for a doubling of amounts. Now add to it the fact that the ammo makers were already near their limits for production and something has to give.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Small problem Wolf Fire. The contracts were for a 5 year period and not a 10 year one. That right there allows for a doubling of amounts. Now add to it the fact that the ammo makers were already near their limits for production and something has to give.
    Thanks for the correction. You are correct, the order was to be for a 5 year period.

Also, from what I've found... (looked on Fed Business Opportunities (fbo.gov)), one manufacturer that got at least part of the contract was Federal. I poured over their pages for about 1/2 hour and couldn't find the rest.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Thanks for the correction. You are correct, the order was to be for a 5 year period.

Also, from what I've found... (looked on Fed Business Opportunities (fbo.gov)), one manufacturer that got at least part of the contract was Federal. I poured over their pages for about 1/2 hour and couldn't find the rest.
    Federal is just one part of ATK. Which also owns Speer/CCI. ATK also runs the Lake City plant for the Feds. ATK is also the parent company of Hornady.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.