Am I a racist?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I a racist?

Am I a racist?

I've been thinking about this since the TM trial. I am a white/caucasian/non-Hispanic (whatever) guy. I grew up in New Orleans, where ('60s-'70s) the population was about 50/50 black/white with a few other ethnic groups thrown in, but not prevalent. I do not even know the proper terminology any more. In my lifetime it has been Black, Colored, Negro, etc. and I never know what is "PC".
    -
    What troubles me is that I am a Facebook frequenter which started so I could keep up with my kids, but I have "liked" and "shared" many conservative and pro-gun articles etc. because they show up and I actually do like them and I want my friends to see them as well.
    -
    Why do I get such a thrill at seeing a black person (Alan West, Tim Scott, Reverend Manning, Condoleezza Rice, Coloin Noir etc.) that shares my values? Why is it so rare and unique to have a fellow American who happens to have darker skin agree with me? (or me agree with them)
    -
    I find that I think that blacks are different, in that they may have different life experiences that lead to a different point of view on current events. I also don't have the racial pressure that they have. I am never worried that I might not be "white enough' to appease those around me, so I can't understand what pressure that might add.
    -
    I guess what I'm most troubled about is hyphenated Americans. I get extremely annoyed when any group profess itself as a ___-American, and I think that is what makes me immediately "share" any article that shows an "African-American" simply display the views of an American.
    -
    Does that make me a racist?
    -
    Batteries released.
    Chief

3. I think everyone who is honest with themselves possesses some racial bias. I, too, lived in New Orleans from ages 10-13 from '70-'73. There was a lot of racial tension as I remember it. I went to Livingston MS, and like other kids around us, we were bussed in to this black neighborhood. We often had white kids wearing army jackets fighting with the black kids. I think over at Abramson HS, there were actual riots. It's hard not to harbor some prejudice at a time and place when a group sets out to control you. That being said, I don't think I hold such attitudes today.

Paz

4. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Why do I get such a thrill at seeing a black person (Alan West, Tim Scott, Reverend Manning, Condoleezza Rice, Coloin Noir etc.) that shares my values? Why is it so rare and unique to have a fellow American who happens to have darker skin agree with me? (or me agree with them)
    My feelings are similar; I thought I was the only one. I'm not sure I would call it a "thrill", but I don't know a better word. Maybe just "surprise" since so many minorities are liberals.

I'm sure I am a little racists as l.biffle states. I'm white and grew up in a completely white New England community. I can only remember having one black student in my high school class of over 750. Weird part is that I didn't think that much about it despite all the race tensions in the early 1970s.

That said, the military did a pretty good job of making me colorblind, at least consciously. (I had a black friend/college classmate in my wedding party.) Who knows what goes on deep in the recesses of our minds.

So what is it that makes black gun enthusiasts and conservatives stand out? One thing is that they all seem so much more articulate than others. That has to have something to do different life experiences and the racial tensions I never experienced.

I'm an equal opportunity discriminator. I discriminate against undesirables equally and without regard to race.
    I'll tell you a funny story. I was at a friend's house in Margate, NJ, about a mile South of Atlantic City boardwalk. Exclusive area. Hoity-toity rich people. Private beach for town residents only. Sitting on the beach with some friends, one of whom was a prosecutor at the time. He's staring at something and I ask him what. He points to two black teens on an entirely white private beach. He says "they stand-out. Something's wrong." He's profiling. He's raised in a bad area so he's got a certain perspective. A few minutes later we hear girls screaming. "He stole my boogy board!" We chased these kids for two blocks. He dropped the board at the first block and I caught him at the second. Police came and took them away.
    Now some people would say he profiled based on race. But he had it pegged way in advance.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

You (according to the dreams of Obama's fathers) are white privileged whose time has come. If you didn't vote for Obama then Yes you are a racist pig. At least according to the mamby pamby meto's on MSNBC.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

Thereis no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism." Theodore Roosevelt in an address to the Knights ofColumbus in New York City- October 12th, 1915.
    As you can see, this “hyphenated American is not a recent phenomenon,but has been around for many years. IMO,the cause is a lack of education particularly the study of American history.
    Anyway, here is the speech delivered on that day:
    There isno room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer tohyphenatedAmericans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the verybest Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans bornabroad. But a hyphenatedAmerican is not an American at all.”
    “This is just as true ofthe man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German orIrish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of thespirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States.We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.”
    “But if he is heartilyand singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is justas good an American as anyone else.”
    The one absolutelycertain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility ofits continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangleof squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans,Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans,or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heartfeeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the othercitizens of the American Republic.”
    “The men who do notbecome Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought tobe no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an Americancitizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of aforeign land plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our bodypolitic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land, towhich he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every goodAmerican.”
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

8. Hey! I'm Caucasian-American and proud of it! Colion Noir has some sound judgement. I enjoy his videos. His head is screwed-on right.

Blog Entries
    No. You crave cohesion. This country is split by race and it seems that you want everyone to get along, regardless of skin color. Nothing wrong with that.

Every person, regardless of what they tell you is prejudiced to an extent. Think of the root words pre- (meaning before), judiced (meaning you are judging). Prejudice is a defense mechanism that can save your life. It is the ability to read facial expressions, the intent in someone's eyes, body language. It's the "summing up of a man" if you will before you get to know them.

Racism on the other hand is when you use that prejudice to affect your actions negatively about an entire group of people. I'm giving examples now and this is no way bears witness to my true feelings.... all Italians are organized criminals, all Irish are drunks, all blacks are hoodlums. These are racist feelings and attitudes. Whodat2710, what you wrote in your OP is your life experience and what you have witnessed. It bears no racism whatsoever.

Also, to address which term to use, since you have been alive long enough to see many terms, I personally use black. I've had some minor situations (however, hardly ever) where someone got huffy and tried to correct me by saying they were African-American. I politely tell them that I couldn't possibly know their country of origin... I've known white Africans and I've known blacks that weren't African. (don't ever call a Haitian or Jamaican an African-American) Therefore, I still use the term black. If someone is offended, I can not control their irrational problems nor their ignorance.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    You (according to the dreams of Obama's fathers) are white privileged whose time has come. If you didn't vote for Obama then Yes you are a racist pig. At least according to the mamby pamby meto's on MSNBC.
    No one on MSDNC can have any credibility because of Al Sharpton. In hiring Al they showed such poor judgment that everything and everyone is suspect.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast