White House Response to making School's safer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White House Response to making School's safer

150,000,000.00 for child safety in the United States. Pretty SMALL Band-Aid to be applied to such an important asset for the future of our nation.
    ~
    Divided between the 50 states they should would each receive 3,000,000.00.
    ~
    Within those 50 states there are 3,143 counties if split so they would each receive 47,725.10.
    ~
    Within those 50 states there is 98,817 public schools, 33,366 private schools, 4,495 degree granting institutions (as of 2009/2010) for a total of 136,678 schools and if split so they would each receive 1097.47.
    ~
    We have heard about schools having plans developed since Columbine and always hear after an incident that they had a plan in place.
    Plans are someone's way of saying we had good intentions. It is time to stop planning and start acting like we really have the intention of protecting our children.
    ~
    Stop building schools that look great and can't be protected, get back to buildings with basic form and function. I could never understand why there is so much glass in a school entryway, why the need for artsy fartsy design was necessary in an institution of learning. It doesn't have to make the cover of Architectural Digest for it to work, but that is what is happening in our country. How many students do without the needed materials because of money spent on B...S... because it looks good.
    ~
    Providing protection is simple and understandable confusing for some to understand, but if you will allow teachers who love what they do, love the children that they instruct year after year, that understandably accepts the concept of being trained to do a job they will seek or acquire training to do their job properly. Those that do not want that responsibility will not apply and will rely on those who will for the sake of our children.
    I will never understand how people think that teachers who have given up their lives to protect our children couldn't have done a better job of it had we allowed them to be better prepared by being armed, they were already willing and it cost them their lives. Why does this have to continue and how many more will have to die before we the people stop being stupid about this whole thing.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Quote Originally Posted by jrs View Post
    But under their plan, you can maintain your self-esteem and feel good about yourself while you take a bullet protecting the kids... the community will thank you posthumously.
    I think a better idea is to have the community thank you (really boosting your self esteem) while you explain to the media how you were able to put one between the shooters eyes.
    I'd laugh, since I know you were being sarcastic, but the truth is, this is the way a lot of psycho-babbled educators think. It's sad, truly truly sad.

I like your "better idea" though especially since I am a teacher.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wish every teacher was required to be trained and armed as a condition of employment. As far as a plan goes, like I said, the kids will never be armed. If an idiot shows up and starts shooting, what are they supposed to do prior to a teacher getting a shot off? Just like tornado drills or fire drills, they have to train how best not to be a target of opportunity before the BG is riddled with bullet holes. For that there needs to be a plan, and it needs to be practiced.
    The problem with that is then the administration would have to admit to the community that their particular school is unsafe. When Lanza happend in CT, Virginia Tech happened, and Columbine, the first thing our administration did was put out a letter to the community telling them how safe our schools were. Bullsh-t!!!! I teach in one and its security is so riddled with holes, swiss cheese would be envious.

I personally have my own plan to take care of the kids that are in my care. The school's plan would rather have them be sheep for the slaughter. Their idea is to turn out the lights and sit against the wall so the gunman looking in the window couldn't see anyone and move along. *rolls eyes*
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    The antis love these mass shootings so that they can dance in the blood screaming for gun bans. They don't want to stop mass shootings, they look forward to them. Why else would they oppose security measures that would put a stop to them?
    You are exactly right about the progressives. They really don't give a ***** about the kids. Obama and his sycophantic minions only care about themselves, their power, and total control over us, the stupid little people. They gladly use the bodies of murdered children as stepping stones to reach their ultimate goals.All one has to do is to look at the carnage wrought by the abortion industry. The second amendment stands as an obstacle to their total control. Anarchy simply aids the progressives in their quest for the all powerful tyrannical government.

Margret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was one of the early proponents of the eugenics movement. Her goal was to wipe out the inferior races, and mental and physical defectives. So do you think that the progressives care about children? Their goal was simply to breed better workers for the collective and to eliminate those who contribute little.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Bullsh-t!!!! I teach in one and its security is so riddled with holes, swiss cheese would be envious. I personally have my own plan to take care of the kids that are in my care. The school's plan would rather have them be sheep for the slaughter. Their idea is to turn out the lights and sit against the wall so the gunman looking in the window couldn't see anyone and move along. *rolls eyes*
    OK, I have two kids still in high school, and I hope their teachers have that attitude. Now, pretend that you were allowed to CC in your job (we all know you would never be sneaky...) and you hear repetitive gunfire in the hallway outside your class. Do you want to be worried about herding screaming kids away from the door and windows? Do you want to have to try and explain to them the difference between cover and concealment? They should already know these things. That is a plan. That is something that should not wait until the first shot. Hence, the plan and training I mentioned.
    Chief

First off whodat, thank you for the compliment. I agree with that plan, but that plan will never happen if we have administrators who politically want the community support. They will say that the schools are safe, when they are not. To comprise an active shooter plan and teach the kids about concealment vs. cover, would admit that the school is not safe. Our drill, where the kids are to line up against the wall and shut off the lights, is called an "Unidentified visitor drill" and last school year was performed once.

Hopefully you can see what I have to deal with. There is much liberalism in education and, as we have seen too many times, liberalism doesn't deal in reality.

The right thing to do is to allow those school employees (administrators, teachers, counselors, cafeteria workers, maintenance, janitors, etc.) who wish to carry, to carry. If that involves some sort of mandated training program, so be it, but allow them to carry at work in order for the children to have someone who is willing to defend and protect them. Now if we can eliminate the "our school is safe" rally cry of the liberal administrators, we can then set forth plans on how to deal with a panicked school such as you mentioned. All this hinges on administrators willing to admit that their school districts are not safe.

This may surprise you, but I am retiring in December and starting college in January to get my Bachelors in education. My desire is to help you and others fight that liberalism in education. I don't think my efforts will be as difficult in SC as yours are up north. I have 2 decisions to make. One is what level of education to try and make my stand; elementary to try and instill the desire to learn rather than check boxes and pass standardized tests, or middle/high school where the kids can understand more. The other is what department. I love history, but I am also good at English and love to read.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    This may surprise you, but I am retiring in December and starting college in January to get my Bachelors in education. My desire is to help you and others fight that liberalism in education. I don't think my efforts will be as difficult in SC as yours are up north. I have 2 decisions to make. One is what level of education to try and make my stand; elementary to try and instill the desire to learn rather than check boxes and pass standardized tests, or middle/high school where the kids can understand more. The other is what department. I love history, but I am also good at English and love to read.
    It doesn't surprise me at all and I wish more conservative-minded thinkers would start to get into education. I applaud your efforts especially so late in life. My background was in sales and finance after I was in the Air Force before I decided to get into education. Unfortunately, most teachers go from public education, to college, to public education and never really experience life outside of education. Therefore, they cannot teach about what is really out there in the world. They don't understand the plight of the working man, nor understand the fight to raise up the corporate ladder, nor understand what's it like to see massive lay offs in their field or that field disappearing. (My father was in the steel industry.) In other words, they don't truly understand the need to think and prepare for the worst.

Being that I've been in education for over 15 years, may I make one suggestion? History and English are both great subjects and they both lend well to "outside of the box" type discussions in class which is what you are most likely looking for. However, both of those subject areas are a dime a dozen. Anytime there is either an English or Soc. Studies position open there are literally hundreds of applicants. You will need to make yourself look more marketable. I would suggest multiple certification areas. Maybe English and Social Studies. You know yourself and your skill set better than I do. Just something to ponder. Also, if you haven't already done so, start substitute teaching and gain contacts. You can actually do so without certification in most states (of course, check out the requirements in SC).

What level to teach is a tough call. I think you'd be able to have more freedom to explore certain areas of discussion in a middle or high school setting than you would an elementary setting.

About the efforts "up north". Pennsylvania is a conundrum. People have described it as Pittsburgh on one end, Filthadelphia on the other and Alabama in the middle. The bulk area of this state is God fearing, Country loving, gun toting conservatives. If you recall Obama's comment about PA, "They can cling to their guns and Bibles". I just live too close to Pittsburgh. We sometimes get thrown in with states like those we border: NY, NJ, and MD.

Thanks for the advice, and I agree that life experience is what is lacking in most schools. I have 36 months of GI Bill to "spend", and used Tuition Assistance to get about 25 credit hours already. With the transfer credits from my career I shouldn't have to waste any time on electives, so a "double" certification might be do-able. I wish I was better at math so I had more options.
    -
    My only interest in elementary education stems from the fact that a lot of parents don't do their jobs. Many are just baby-sitters, and don't instill their kids with the desire to learn and read. They also don't allow them to fail and learn from those failures. I know from meeting some of my teenage kids friends that by high school it may be too late. For the kids who can think critically about a subject, it is easier to give them a different viewpoint than what they pick up from the MSM and pop culture. I have a few months to figure it out.
    -
    As far as the school goes, I'll hopefully be attending Charleston Southern, which has a great placement ratio for graduates, and is also a very conservative (Christian) school. I shouldn't have to wade through a bog of Liberal idiots to get my degree. I'll also be retiring with over a 50% disability based on several issues, but none permanently debilitating. I should have both a Veterans and a DAV edge over some job applicants.
    Chief

I totally agree with you about the elementary education and if you can be a positive influence, doing so at a younger age is much better. It's just that elementary schools generally are more micro-managed by their administrators than the secondary schools. Either way, I wish you all the best.

Thanks for your service with the Coast Guard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12