McCain VP Pick - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: McCain VP Pick

Palin as VP Choice

A lot is being said regarding Palin versus Biden and almost as much comparing her to Hillary. We will now see how it all turns out in the 2 month long dog and pony show we call elections. Personally, I think Palin has quite a bit to offer the US political scene plus she already far surpasses Hillary's demonstrated leadership at her age. Some things to remember:

Hillary is 15 years older and never held an elected office until after she stood for her first election at 53. Palin has been a City Councilperson for two terms, mayor for two terms, chair of the Council of Mayors of her state, served on policy-making boards several times and is regarded as one of the most popular and effective US politicians by the constituency she serves. Her popularity within her state is unbelievable and there isn't a politician in the country who doesn't wish they had support from their constituency like she enjoys. She has considerable governmental experience far beyond Obama and Hillary as well as EXECUTIVE experience surpassing Biden and McCain, who largely are legislators rather than executives.

I suspect Obama is more than a bit concerned by Palin. He was probably prepared for most of the others but seems hesitant to attack her (smart though because attacking a popular person with little or no vulnerability is a dangerous thing for a politician to do). Additionally, there is a large factor which it is only fair to consider. Obama does strike me as fairly well-mannered, an instinctive gentleman in fact. This may be difficult for many to comprehend but he may well be a bit concerned that he cannot legitimately attack her on anything. What a concept, huh? His best strategy may well be to remain respectful to her and focus the campaign on McCain. Walking around wringing his hands saying, Oh NO what if he dies and leaves HER as President could explode in his face if she gains the same popularity nationally as she did within her state. Attacking her on Energy and Conservation appears to be an exceedingly stupid thing to do since her background is far stronger than his and he cannot try anything in the area of foreign affairs since that would expose his own weaknesses.

In fact, when the debates start it will interesting since both candidates would be smart to position the debating of various parts of the platform and issues between Obama and Palin then Biden versus McCain. Obama must address McCain directly though but there seems little to be gained from Biden debating Palin insofar as issues are concerned.

All said and done, an interesting choice that we can now watch play out over the next 2 months.
    Last edited by ecocks; 08-31-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

3. Too bad we can't switch the ticket and run Palin for president. She is a good one by any measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Williamson View Post
    Too bad we can't switch the ticket and run Palin for president. She is a good one by any measure.

I agree. In fact, she's a helluva lot better than the guy at the top of the ticket, that's for sure.

5. This changes the race, for sure!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I like Palin, more than I like McCain, but I still won't vote for him...
    No flames here but just a reminder... a missing vote for McCain/Palin is a +1 vote for Obama/Biden. Perhaps put down your pride for election day and make a contribution to preventing a successful Liberal Democratic ticket which may change politics for the next 20-30 years. Remember the future... it is about SCOTUS not POTUS!

I know that I am putting my pride down and voting for McCain because it is the right thing to do.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    No flames here but just a reminder... a missing vote for McCain/Palin is a +1 vote for Obama/Biden. Perhaps put down your pride for election day and make a contribution to preventing a successful Liberal Democratic ticket which may change politics for the next 20-30 years. Remember the future... it is about SCOTUS not POTUS!

I know that I am putting my pride down and voting for McCain because it is the right thing to do.
    +1 I agree! This just reinforces my own beliefs that the worst Republican beats the best Democrat hands down.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not going to sell out by voting for someone I dislike (McCain) just because I dislike his opponent even more. That's why I'm voting Libertarian. I couldn't care less if Obama benefits as a result; the way I see it, the only way he truly benefits is if I actually cast a vote for him. Remember, picking the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil, and that is something I refuse to do.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not going to sell out by voting for someone I dislike (McCain) just because I dislike his opponent even more. That's why I'm voting Libertarian. I couldn't care less if Obama benefits as a result; the way I see it, the only way he truly benefits is if I actually cast a vote for him. Remember, picking the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil, and that is something I refuse to do.

Hey no problem, your choices are yours and I respect you for making one regardless of how it will impact the future of all. But, like I said- it's not about the POTUS, it is about SCOTUS. If Obama makes it in and seats potentially 3 far left liberal justices over his term in office and 8 years from now you wonder where your 2A rights and diginity disappeared to... you may want to do a search for your above statement and review why you made the choice you did and then consider the Justice appointments that robbed you of both.

I too am a Libertarian and I would love for Bob Barr to make it as POTUS. The reality is however that is not very likely to happen. It's not about the lesser of two evils, it is entirely about applying just a little bit of prescient logic in concert with some good old Ben Franklin "Common Sense".
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hey no problem, your choices are yours and I respect you for making one regardless of how it will impact the future of all. But, like I said- it's not about the POTUS, it is about SCOTUS. If Obama makes it in and seats potentially 3 far left liberal justices over his term in office and 8 years from now you wonder where your 2A rights and diginity disappeared to... you may want to do a search for your above statement and review why you made the choice you did and then consider the Justice appointments that robbed you of both.

I too am a Libertarian and I would love for Bob Barr to make it as POTUS. The reality is however that is not very likely to happen. It's not about the lesser of two evils, it is entirely about applying just a little bit of prescient logic in concert with some good old Ben Franklin "Common Sense".

Point well taken. However, what makes you think that McCain is much better than Obama on 2A? Have you seen his voting record on gun issues lately? See here:

Project Vote Smart - Senator John Sidney McCain III - Interest Group Ratings

So, yes, as a gun owner, John McCain doesn't strike as much fear in my heart as Barack Obama does, but his record on gun rights leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. Barr's record is way better, and that's why he's getting my vote.

One more thing. Even though I know that the next president will be either McCain or Obama, that does not mean I have to vote for one of them. I'm voting for the person I like most, even if I know they won't win.

Kind of like Ken Hamblin the Black Avenger once said. "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know".
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast