If you haven't yet... write the California Governor TODAY (Protect the 2nd Amendment) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you haven't yet... write the California Governor TODAY (Protect the 2nd Amendment)

As an addendum to this thread... after having written the California Governor over 100 times spread out over various days of this month and the past month (not exaggerating), each message different because each one dealt with a different proposed anti-gun bill (or was a follow-up with something else I had to say about one I'd already written to him about), yesterday I got a reply from the Governor's office asking me for more information about one of the messages I'd sent. The message I sent they asked me more about was one I had previously sent titled 'Gun Studies' and included quotations from the recent Harvard study that showed that crime is lower in states that have low or no restrictions on concealed carry.

So yes, they are reading something. It remains to be seen what they will do with the information we've sent.

Quote Originally Posted by freethink View Post
    As an addendum to this thread... after having written the California Governor over 100 times spread out over various days of this month and the past month (not exaggerating), each message different because each one dealt with a different proposed anti-gun bill (or was a follow-up with something else I had to say about one I'd already written to him about), yesterday I got a reply from the Governor's office asking me for more information about one of the messages I'd sent. The message I sent they asked me more about was one I had previously sent titled 'Gun Studies' and included quotations from the recent Harvard study that showed that crime is lower in states that have low or no restrictions on concealed carry.

So yes, they are reading something. It remains to be seen what they will do with the information we've sent.
    Awesome! Keep up the good fight in California. We need patriots everywhere.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Protect the Second Amendment! It is important. Thank you and thanks to everyone who has been sending the Governor messages regarding this issue.
    Again there is a form letter, very easy to use, anyone can fill out here: firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/california/2013-2014/askbrown/
    That will send a fax and e-mail to the Governor on the key bills asking him to veto them.
    You can also contact him directly here (PLEASE NOTE that the Governor's site to send him messages does NOT request your address or state, only your name and e-mail address -- so no matter where you are, fire him off a message!) --> Office of Governor Jerry Brown - Contact

IMPORTANT: Update / addendum here having to do with schedules....

For California:

Sept. 6 —Last day to amend bills on the floor (J.R. 61(a)(13)). (This date has just passed, so there will be no more amendments)
    Sep. 3-13 Floor Session Only. No Committees, other than conference committees and Rules committee, may meet for any purpose (J.R. 61(a)(12)).
    Sept. 13 —Last day for any bill to be passed (J.R. 61(a)(14)). Interim Recess begins upon adjournment (J.R. 51(a)(4)).
    Oct. 13 —Last day for Governor to sign or veto bills passed by the Legislature on or before Sept. 13 and in the Governor’s possession after Sept. 13 (Art. IV, Sec. 10(b)(1)).

The point of mentioning this is to emphasize the importance of contacting the Governor as soon as possible. Most of the anti-gun bills that have been rolling through the California legislature will be completely passed in both houses, State Senate and Assembly, by Sept. 9-11 of 2013 depending on the pace of the Legislature. One thing is for sure, the Legislature will not fail to send various bills to the Governor.

But the California Legislature by law has to pass those bills by Sept. 13 in order for the Governor to consider them. This is an extremely anti-gun Legislature and various anti-gun bills are on the second or third reading, very close to passage out of the Legislature. There is no point in contacting the Legislature anymore on these bills because the Legislature is not listening.

The Governor has been known to veto or return without his signature certain bills, including some anti-gun bills, when he has received substantial public input in opposition to such measures.

Because it is likely the Legislature will pass most of its anti-gun bills by Wednesday Sept. 11, it is vital that you continue to contact the Governor to urge veto of these bills before September 11.

The quickest way to do this: https://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-i...2014/askbrown/

You can also, if you like, take a little bit more time and go straight to the Governor's site - which does not ask for your address or state, only your name and e-mail address - so no matter what State you are from, feel free to send him a message suggesting he veto any gun control bills here: Office of Governor Jerry Brown - Contact

Thank you for defending the 2nd Amendment!

I used to "live" in California... if you call that "living".

Respectfully, what would I write the Governor about? Perhaps, that the flowers are still blooming on the sunny side of the mountain?
    G'Day and G'lock

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    I used to "live" in California... if you call that "living".

Respectfully, what would I write the Governor about? Perhaps, that the flowers are still blooming on the sunny side of the mountain?
    Perhaps you could write the Governor to explain why you no longer live in California. As I'm considering leaving California myself if certain (anti-gun, and other) laws pass, I would imagine that you have something to say about why California is losing its (taxpaying) residents.

Another person who travels this forum posted in a different thread,

"The second amendment was meant to be the guarantor all our liberties. Once the 2nd is destroyed, it is only short time until we become slaves of a tyrannical government."

That's a pretty good thing to tell the Governor, I would think.

The other day I wrote the Governor (again) but this time not on any particular bill. It was a general message which I faxed to him. Part of my message was as follows:

"California is not just a natural and beautiful place. It is also a place where we believe we can be free. It is this idea that is at the core of our desire to live out life as we see fit while exercising the rights that all US citizens hold. Not all States -- in fact, very few -- have taken steps to protect those rights over the States' lifespans. California has.
    But over the past year, that fact has changed. Freedom withers and fades with the blossoming of unconstitutional legislation that affects all of our rights.
    You have an obligation to veto the bills that I have sent you messages in opposition to. The bills I've contacted about, if passed, would fundamentally violate certain privileges established by case law as well as well-understood constitutional rights further expressed by case law and the laws of the land.

Article VI, Clause 2 of the US Constitution (the Supremacy Clause) states:

"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

You have sworn an oath to uphold this supreme law. It is vital that you do so.

Part of the oath you took reads:
    "I, (Edmund G. Brown Jr.), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support
    and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Consti-
    tution of the State of California against all enemies, foreign
    and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the
    Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the
    State of California; that I take this obligation freely, without
    any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will
    well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about
    to enter."

Defend the rights of the people and keep your oath. Veto the misguided bills of the California Legislature which I have previously written you about.
    "

Sept. 13 has come and gone. This is the last day that the Legislature had to pass bills that will be sent to the Governor.

With that we can see clearly what of the many gun control bills have failed and which have moved forward and are awaiting a signature or veto from the Governor (who has until Oct 13 to sign or veto the bills that have passed and been sent to him).

Observing this process is a sobering reminder of the horrible effect of the delusions of power that State legislators can come to have when they come to believe that they can pass edicts in direct violation of the Constitution.

For simplicity, those that have not passed by Sept 13 are marked below as FAILED below even if they are not marked as such on the California legislative information web site. In many cases, the ones marked as FAILED do not have enough forward momentum to make it through a legislative session, but it remains possible that their proposed language could be reintroduced at some future date in another legislative session.

The ones that have passed (but have not been signed into law as of the date of this post, and which could still be vetoed by the Governor) are shown below as "PASSED." Unfortunately all of the bills that the Firearm Policy Coalition has called out as bills of concern (that would result in bans or other unconstitutional infringements upon the 2nd Amendment right) have passed the Legislature and now are in the hands of the Governor awaiting his signature or veto.

As of the date of this post update, none of the below bills have been signed into law by the Governor.
    There still is a window of opportunity, right now, for you to write him and demand these bills be vetoed.

The Governor just vetoed a California bill known as AB 902, which would have doubled a fine for violation of a certain traffic law. His veto message was as follows: "No showing has been made that piling on an additional $252 will protect anybody. This enhanced amount strikes me as more punitive than deterrent." When writing the Governor, remind him that the same reasoning which he applied to AB 902 should be also used to veto the gun control bills, since the gun control bills are not only unconstitutional, but are generally designed to punish legal gun owners rather than deter actual crime. The page to contact the Governor is at: Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. - Contact or alternately, Office of Governor Jerry Brown - Contact
    When you write the Governor, please encourage him to VETO all of those bills that are shown below as "PASSED." Thank you.

SB 38 - FAILED
    SB 47 - FAILED
    SB 53 - FAILED
    SB 108 - FAILED
    SB 293 - FAILED
    SB 396 - FAILED, ORDERED TO INACTIVE FILE
    AB 231 - FAILED
    AB 760 - FAILED
    AB 740 - FAILED

SB 374 - PASSED
    SB 363 - PASSED
    SB 755 - PASSED