Feds STILL buiying up ammo supplies - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Feds STILL buiying up ammo supplies

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    What ammo supplier would agree to a million round quote then honor that quote when they order less? If I walked up to a car dealer and told him I wanted 100 cars for my company and wanted a good price at "X" amount each then only purchased 10 cars I would not expect him to honor the original quote.

    My company does business with some government agencies and this is not how we do it plus there are way to many hoops they make you jump through just to get paid. If even the slightest problem occurs it's always our fault and must be corrected at our expense just for the privilege of doing business with them. And they are "slow pay" to boot. Maybe some companies think doing business with the GOV is a gravy train but it's actually more trouble than it's worth.
    First- my point of any agency must request and then manufacturers will bid is valid as you have confirmed as such with your own business.

    Second- I followed closely the reports of DHS requesting billions of rounds of .223 and .40 caliber ammunition for over the next 5 years. I have followed on the fed biz opps sight and have checked the actual orders which were far less than the billions reported or requested.

    Third - I have no idea why a manufacturer would agree to terms like that, all I know is what I have seen. You may scroll through all the orders over the last year for .223 and .40 ammunition of that sight if you wish to verify what I have said. I have already done so and am not going to waste my time scrolling through them again just because you don't agree

    Fourth - since you have agreed that the government does indeed request, get bids and then orders, then my main point of them not buying up the supplies that are already on the market is indeed valid. Our shortages of ammunition is from the citizenry buying up ammo for fear that there will be a shortage because the citizenry doesn't realize these bids are for new manufacture and not the feds grabbing all the ammo that is already out there.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  2.   
  3. Sounds like they're using other agencies to cook the books but still monopolize the supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    Apparently they just moved purchases from DHS to TSA. Not any better.

    "The latest agency to buy massive amounts of ammunition is the Transportation Security Administration, which doesn’t even arm most of its agents.

    The FedBizOpps.gov website reports that the TSA is seeking to purchase nearly 3.5 million rounds of .347 SIG caliber training ammunition. Weapons experts told WND the .347 is an unknown caliber, and the document likely contained a mistake, instead intending to reference a .357 caliber.

    The agency’s workers mostly are unarmed, with the primary exception being the federal air marshals who travel aboard airliners to deter and respond to violence, hijackings and terrorism.

    There are no firm numbers available on the number of agents, but experts estimate there are several thousand. The planned purchase, then, would give the agency the availability of nearly 10,000 rounds per day for “training.”"

    Washington still sucking up ammo supplies
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

  4. #13
    OK. I'll throw some fat on the fire.
    Rumor has it that the US government is taking much of what they have been buying and taking it out into the ocean and dumping it.
    .
    See what happens when rumors get started?
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

  5. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Houston, Texas, United States
    Posts
    519
    If you think I am wearing a FOIL HAT it's OK... I really think BARRY and his co conspirators want to go to war with US ! (George Washington is really rolling over in his grave)

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    OK. I'll throw some fat on the fire.
    Rumor has it that the US government is taking much of what they have been buying and taking it out into the ocean and dumping it.
    .
    See what happens when rumors get started?
    As much as I'd hate for that to be true, I guess it would be better than using it on us. But I'm also more inclined to think they're saving it for us.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    First- my point of any agency must request and then manufacturers will bid is valid as you have confirmed as such with your own business.

    Second- I followed closely the reports of DHS requesting billions of rounds of .223 and .40 caliber ammunition for over the next 5 years. I have followed on the fed biz opps sight and have checked the actual orders which were far less than the billions reported or requested.

    Third - I have no idea why a manufacturer would agree to terms like that, all I know is what I have seen. You may scroll through all the orders over the last year for .223 and .40 ammunition of that sight if you wish to verify what I have said. I have already done so and am not going to waste my time scrolling through them again just because you don't agree

    Fourth - since you have agreed that the government does indeed request, get bids and then orders, then my main point of them not buying up the supplies that are already on the market is indeed valid. Our shortages of ammunition is from the citizenry buying up ammo for fear that there will be a shortage because the citizenry doesn't realize these bids are for new manufacture and not the feds grabbing all the ammo that is already out there.
    I agree on points 1 to 3 but when the gov buys new ammo it reduces the capacity for the ammo manufactures to restock or make new ammo for the commercial side of the business. Right now they are all running at max capacity and are weeks if not months behind. The public in part is to blame for panic buying whats left in the supply chain but I don't blame them. If I didn't reload my ammo I would most likely be standing in line with them. Highly publicized school shootings with our brainless leaders introducing illogical feel good laws to ban just about everything firearm related doesn't help either. Kinda like a perfect storm with several fronts all merging together into one at the worst possible time. One thing that's positive in this mess is it shows that the public is not going down without a fight. In some areas it seems to be getting better but some are still seeing empty shelves.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hog Jaw, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,275
    Howdy BigSlick,

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    What ammo supplier would agree to a million round quote then honor that quote when they order less? If I walked up to a car dealer and told him I wanted 100 cars for my company and wanted a good price at "X" amount each then only purchased 10 cars I would not expect him to honor the original quote.

    My company does business with some government agencies and this is not how we do it plus there are way to many hoops they make you jump through just to get paid. If even the slightest problem occurs it's always our fault and must be corrected at our expense just for the privilege of doing business with them. And they are "slow pay" to boot. Maybe some companies think doing business with the GOV is a gravy train but it's actually more trouble than it's worth.
    Simple.

    On the 'Net you're Big Slick but but regards to "buying power" compared to the USA Gov't you're No Slick.

    You buy 1 car while the Govt buys +10,000 cars.

    The car manufactor really cares less if you buy a car but they want US's business.

    Pretty simple.

    For the "Tinfoil hat" crowd:

    When the Gov't buys ammo, or anything else for that matter, they sign contracts for a set price for an extended period of time, usually for 5 years and some, like the DHS purchase of ammo was for 10 years.

    This might be a poor example since a considerable number of the members live with their Mom and do not have a mortgage and will not understand the point that I'm making but here goes anyway:

    Look at your mortgage. Mine is a fixed 30 year mortgage. The monthly payment will not change for the next 30 years.

    I would not have agreed to a mortgage with an unknown monthly payment after a certain period of time because I would not know what that payment would be or if I could afford it.

    So, I signed a contract for a specific item at a specific payment for a 30 year period of time.

    The Gov't, both Federal, State, City, County, etc does the same thing, except in this case it's ammo instead of a house.

    Pretty simple.

    Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I agree on points 1 to 3 but when the gov buys new ammo it reduces the capacity for the ammo manufactures to restock or make new ammo for the commercial side of the business. Right now they are all running at max capacity and are weeks if not months behind. The public in part is to blame for panic buying whats left in the supply chain but I don't blame them. If I didn't reload my ammo I would most likely be standing in line with them. Highly publicized school shootings with our brainless leaders introducing illogical feel good laws to ban just about everything firearm related doesn't help either. Kinda like a perfect storm with several fronts all merging together into one at the worst possible time. One thing that's positive in this mess is it shows that the public is not going down without a fight. In some areas it seems to be getting better but some are still seeing empty shelves.
    If it truly "reduces the capacity for the ammo manufactures to restock or make new ammo", then how are they, as you put it, "running at max capacity". Even your post confirms that the ammo manufacturers have the supplies needed to manufacture ammo, they just don't have the time and manpower to keep up with demand. You say they are running at max capacity. Then why are they behind? Because the citizenry is buying it with a hoard mentality. And you are very correct about the "perfect storm" imagery. You get Sandy Hook, the Obama administration, George Zimmerman all together and the firearms owners did react, but in a way to show our leaders in Washington and other political venues that we aren't standing for their tyrannical rule.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy BigSlick,



    Simple.

    On the 'Net you're Big Slick but but regards to "buying power" compared to the USA Gov't you're No Slick.

    You buy 1 car while the Govt buys +10,000 cars.

    The car manufactor really cares less if you buy a car but they want US's business.

    Pretty simple.

    For the "Tinfoil hat" crowd:

    When the Gov't buys ammo, or anything else for that matter, they sign contracts for a set price for an extended period of time, usually for 5 years and some, like the DHS purchase of ammo was for 10 years.

    This might be a poor example since a considerable number of the members live with their Mom and do not have a mortgage and will not understand the point that I'm making but here goes anyway:

    Look at your mortgage. Mine is a fixed 30 year mortgage. The monthly payment will not change for the next 30 years.

    I would not have agreed to a mortgage with an unknown monthly payment after a certain period of time because I would not know what that payment would be or if I could afford it.

    So, I signed a contract for a specific item at a specific payment for a 30 year period of time.

    The Gov't, both Federal, State, City, County, etc does the same thing, except in this case it's ammo instead of a house.

    Pretty simple.

    Paul
    We did that in our agency for Diesel fuel. So that while Joe Six Pack was putting $3.00/gallon Diesel in his truck, we were spending $0.84/gallon for our use. And getting it delivered in 7500 gallon quantities per load. And we could go thru 50,000 gallons per day, every day, for 3 to 6 months at a time. Our contracts were for unlimited supply at fixed price per gallon. And for my sites, it either got billed to the USACE, USDOI, or FEMA.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast