Feds STILL buiying up ammo supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Feds STILL buiying up ammo supplies

  1. #1

    Feds STILL buiying up ammo supplies

    Apparently they just moved purchases from DHS to TSA. Not any better.

    "The latest agency to buy massive amounts of ammunition is the Transportation Security Administration, which doesn’t even arm most of its agents.

    The FedBizOpps.gov website reports that the TSA is seeking to purchase nearly 3.5 million rounds of .347 SIG caliber training ammunition. Weapons experts told WND the .347 is an unknown caliber, and the document likely contained a mistake, instead intending to reference a .357 caliber.

    The agency’s workers mostly are unarmed, with the primary exception being the federal air marshals who travel aboard airliners to deter and respond to violence, hijackings and terrorism.

    There are no firm numbers available on the number of agents, but experts estimate there are several thousand. The planned purchase, then, would give the agency the availability of nearly 10,000 rounds per day for “training.”"

    Washington still sucking up ammo supplies
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    There is a real misunderstanding with how government agencies procure their supplies of ammunition. The agency in question puts in for a bid of "x" rounds of ammunition and lets businesses bid for the sale. Once a bid has been agreed upon the agency then will make a purchase order (usually for less than the "x"). These government agencies aren't "buying up all the supplies", they are ordering their own supplies that the ammo manufacturers will make for them.

    Unfortunately, the people who are buying up the supplies that are already out on the market are the very same people that we all know that carry and read stuff like this and think, "uh -oh, I better stock up". When that mentality sets in, then the supplies get bought up and we have ammo shortages.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  4. #3
    Why does the TSA need 3.5 million rounds when the only TSA agents that carry a weapon are the air marshals? I still think it's excessive. And as far as that goes, why can't they borrow some from DHS? They've got plenty. I can't see that they still need to be buying all they can.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    There is a real misunderstanding with how government agencies procure their supplies of ammunition. The agency in question puts in for a bid of "x" rounds of ammunition and lets businesses bid for the sale. Once a bid has been agreed upon the agency then will make a purchase order (usually for less than the "x"). These government agencies aren't "buying up all the supplies", they are ordering their own supplies that the ammo manufacturers will make for them.

    Unfortunately, the people who are buying up the supplies that are already out on the market are the very same people that we all know that carry and read stuff like this and think, "uh -oh, I better stock up". When that mentality sets in, then the supplies get bought up and we have ammo shortages.
    What ammo supplier would agree to a million round quote then honor that quote when they order less? If I walked up to a car dealer and told him I wanted 100 cars for my company and wanted a good price at "X" amount each then only purchased 10 cars I would not expect him to honor the original quote.

    My company does business with some government agencies and this is not how we do it plus there are way to many hoops they make you jump through just to get paid. If even the slightest problem occurs it's always our fault and must be corrected at our expense just for the privilege of doing business with them. And they are "slow pay" to boot. Maybe some companies think doing business with the GOV is a gravy train but it's actually more trouble than it's worth.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    Why does the TSA need 3.5 million rounds when the only TSA agents that carry a weapon are the air marshals? I still think it's excessive. And as far as that goes, why can't they borrow some from DHS? They've got plenty. I can't see that they still need to be buying all they can.
    Good question! I think there is more going on here than meets the eye. In the 60's when Skunk Works was building the SR-71 the aircraft's performance envelope exceeded the stress levels of conventional steals and alloys but not Titanium. The only place to buy Titanium in sufficient quantities was from the Soviet Union. To avoid suspicion the government created shell companies to purchase the metal so no one would be the wiser. IMHO, I think these ammo purchases are nothing more than a modern day version of a shell game. If Sears ordered 160 million rounds of mil spec ammo that would really look strange. The kicker is that the Social Security Administration and the IRS now needs AR-15's and Shotguns and The National Weather Service needs ammo? I didn't know that you could fend off tornadoes with a volley of gunfire and don't piss off those senior citizens because they will hit you with a cane. There just spreading the purchasing around so it doesn't look suspicious and their training/practice excuse is getting old.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north east Iowa
    Posts
    1,250
    I really can't understand why ammo is still in short supply and overpriced. Everyone was convinced things would be back to normal before now. In most of the northern Midwest the retailers are still rationing ammo and certain calibers are not available (.22, 30-30, 9mm, ) or on an occasional basis. I have stopped my purchases for now since I already have an adequate stock. And I will not pay ridiculous inflated prices, sometimes 3 times those of last October.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    I really can't understand why ammo is still in short supply and overpriced. Everyone was convinced things would be back to normal before now. In most of the northern Midwest the retailers are still rationing ammo and certain calibers are not available (.22, 30-30, 9mm, ) or on an occasional basis. I have stopped my purchases for now since I already have an adequate stock. And I will not pay ridiculous inflated prices, sometimes 3 times those of last October.
    They are still rationing it in Kansas too. That is if you can even find it. Walmart hasn't had any for handguns for a long time. Unless you're there when they're stocking it, I've heard. Gun stores are too expensive and gun shows too few and far between. Even online most of it's way overpriced or the price doubles with shipping.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    Good question! I think there is more going on here than meets the eye. In the 60's when Skunk Works was building the SR-71 the aircraft's performance envelope exceeded the stress levels of conventional steals and alloys but not Titanium. The only place to buy Titanium in sufficient quantities was from the Soviet Union. To avoid suspicion the government created shell companies to purchase the metal so no one would be the wiser. IMHO, I think these ammo purchases are nothing more than a modern day version of a shell game. If Sears ordered 160 million rounds of mil spec ammo that would really look strange. The kicker is that the Social Security Administration and the IRS now needs AR-15's and Shotguns and The National Weather Service needs ammo? I didn't know that you could fend off tornadoes with a volley of gunfire and don't piss off those senior citizens because they will hit you with a cane. There just spreading the purchasing around so it doesn't look suspicious and their training/practice excuse is getting old.
    I think it's all still going the same place, probably DHS. They're just assigning it to various departments. You're right, most of those departments shouldn't need guns or ammo at all. National Weather Service? Seriously?
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    I think it's all still going the same place, probably DHS. They're just assigning it to various departments. You're right, most of those departments shouldn't need guns or ammo at all. National Weather Service? Seriously?
    Yep! Here's the link: National Weather Service Follows DHS In Huge Ammo Purchase | Education News
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    That was a year ago. I would SO love to know exactly where that ammo is now.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast