Left With Nothing....(It Could Happen To You).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left With Nothing....(It Could Happen To You).

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Unhappy Left With Nothing....(It Could Happen To You).

On the day Bennie Coleman lost his house, the day armed U.S. marshals came to his door and ordered him off the property, he slumped in a folding chair across the street and watched the vestiges of his 76 years hauled to the curb.
    Movers carted out his easy chair, his clothes, his television. Next came the things that were closest to his heart: his Marine Corps medals and photographs of his dead wife, Martha. The duplex in Northeast Washington that Coleman bought with cash two decades earlier was emptied and shuttered. By sundown, he had nowhere to go.
    All because he didnít pay a $134 property tax bill on time.

Left with nothing | The Washington Post
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Stories like this make me hate the human race. It's amazing how people and corporations come up with ways to screw people out of money and property.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

You only lease the property you never actualy own it. That how they get your property.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Living rent free in Bluesstringer's head apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    You only lease the property you never actualy own it. That how they get your property.
    There is one plot that you do own forever but you probably don't enjoy it much
    The finest Vodka is a razor Matthew, it leaves no ragged edges.

I'd like to get the rest of the story.

Why did he not take advantage of the District of Columbia Senior Citizen or Disabled Property Owner Tax Relief program. When a property owner turns 65 years of age, or when someone becomes disabled, they should learn about and file an application immediately for senior citizen or disabled property tax relief. This government sponsored benefit reduces a qualified property owner's property taxes by up to 50 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    There is one plot that you do own forever but you probably don't enjoy it much
    Trust me, they would, and have taken those plots of which you speak.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Poor guy. Surely if he'd reached out someone would have given him the money he needed. It wasn't that much. Heck, I don't even know the guy and I'd have given him that much if it meant he could keep his house.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

The County Assessor in most states let you get four years behind in taxes before they will start foreclosure action, but those penalties and interest keep piling up every month so it is a good idea to stay current.

My wifes uncle Jack decided to drop out of society a few years back to sit around drinking and smoking instead of working or paying taxes. He was living in the old paid off family house by himself. His mom, brothers and sisters all quit claimed off the title so he would not wreck their credit. He let it get four years past due and would pay for one year to stall them. A few years back year he sent his check in late so a months worth of interest had been added, meaning he was still four years past due. I just happened to be teaching someone how to use the county assessors system and used his name as an example. I rushed into the tax collector who said that they were going to turn it over to the Sheriffs for foreclosure next month since the property taxes were four years past due. I tried to argue that it was not the taxes that were past due only the interest charge, but it did not make a difference. I paid the $13.28 to buy him an extra year and got the forms for a senior deferral where the State of Oregon would pay is taxes until he died then his kids could pay back the state or the deed would pass to Oregon. I helped his daughter fill out the forms and sat down with him, his mother and daughter to explain the program. He said that he did not want to put a lien on the house. I tried to explain that property taxes were already a lien, but he would not budge. He just expected family to keep supporting him by making the payments. There is just no way to change some peoples mind.

I just checked county records and it looks like he deeded the house over to his son last year who is keeping the taxes current. Too bad the old vet in the story did not have anyone. I hope he was not as stubborn as our Uncle Jack Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    Poor guy. Surely if he'd reached out someone would have given him the money he needed. It wasn't that much. Heck, I don't even know the guy and I'd have given him that much if it meant he could keep his house.
    But Peggy, Doug Hannah told me you were a racist Hitler and should put on your robe and cap and you would.... *gulp* help this guy. Yes, I'm being facetious.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    On the day Bennie Coleman lost his house, the day armed U.S. marshals came to his door and ordered him off the property, he slumped in a folding chair across the street and watched the vestiges of his 76 years hauled to the curb.
    Movers carted out his easy chair, his clothes, his television. Next came the things that were closest to his heart: his Marine Corps medals and photographs of his dead wife, Martha. The duplex in Northeast Washington that Coleman bought with cash two decades earlier was emptied and shuttered. By sundown, he had nowhere to go.
    All because he didn’t pay a $134 property tax bill on time.

Left with nothing | The Washington Post

The thing that is bugging me (aside from the fact that our government is throwing vets out onto the street) is the US Marshals came in and took over the house. Usually this is a county Sheriff detail. I'm wondering if the crookedness of our nation's capital has anything to do with getting Federal agents to do the county's work?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast