email from today

Thread: email from today

1. email from today

I received this email today, really surprised i even got it..
    Dear Mr. Cripps:

Knowing of your interest in the public debate on gun control, I would like to share my thoughts with you on this important issue.

I support the Second Amendment. As a retired Navy Reserve officer who served in Afghanistan, I trained in the use of firearms and am currently a gun owner. I believe that law-abiding sportsmen, hunters and Americans who wish to defend their homes and businesses should have their rights protected.

It is time Congress takes a comprehensive look at how to reduce gun violence, with an understanding that there is no single cause to this problem and, therefore, no single solution.

Unfortunately, Illinois currently leads the nation in both gun violence and gang membership per capita with more than 115,000 gang members in the metropolitan Chicago-area alone. Armed gangs like the Gangster Disciples number in the tens of thousands and were responsible for nearly 80 percent of the 500 homicides in Chicago in 2012. The senseless shooting of 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton, an innocent bystander killed by gang gunfire in Chicago, is but one example of the real threat these gangs present to our communities and families.

That is why I favor measures to disarm the violent gangs of Illinois and protect the lives and safety of our citizens. Recently, I voted to confirm B. Todd Jones as the first confirmed director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) since 2006. Under his leadership, the ATF can reduce firearm-related crime in our communities by enforcing the law and targeting violent offenders.

Unfortunately, enforcing the laws that are currently on the books does not always result in significant penalties for dangerous offenders. Under current law, straw purchasers can only be federally*prosecuted under false statement laws that are difficult to prove and carry low penalties. I am proud to have joined my colleagues to introduce a bill that would for the first time make it a federal crime to transport illegal weapons and purchase firearms on behalf of criminals.

I named a portion of this legislation, S. 443, Stop Illegal Trafficking in Firearms Act of 2013, after Hadiya. With more than 330,000 guns used in violent gun crimes in the U.S. over the past three years showing telltale signs of black market trafficking, it is time that law enforcement agencies have the tools they need to keep illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands of dangerous people. Violators of the proposed legislation would be subject to up to 25 years in prison.

Also, in an attempt to make it harder for criminals and the dangerously mentally ill to obtain guns while preserving the rights of law-abiding citizen, I worked with my colleagues to introduce the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act, also known as the Manchin-Toomey Amendment. This bipartisan legislation would close loopholes in the existing background check system by requiring background checks for firearms purchasers online and at gun shows, similar to requirements we already have in Illinois. The legislation would also provide resources to assist states and the federal government to send all necessary records on criminals and the violently mentally ill to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).*

In order to preserve our Second Amendment rights, the bill would explicitly ban the federal government from creating a national firearms registry and would impose serious criminal penalties on any person who misuses or illegally retains firearms records. In addition, it would permit interstate handgun sales from licensed dealers, which is currently not allowed, and preserve current law that allows for private gun transfers. Finally, veterans would be allowed to contest their placement in NICS before they are placed in the system.*

By closing the existing loopholes commonly abused by criminals, we can dry up the firearm supply available to dangerous drug gangs while continuing to ensure that law-abiding citizens are able to exercise their Second Amendment rights. The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act was introduced as an amendment to S. 649, Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013, when it was considered on the Senate Floor. Unfortunately, the measure failed by a vote of 54-46 on April 17, 2013.

It is my hope that Congress can agree on common-sense bipartisan solutions that will reduce gun violence in our communities and across the country, while protecting Americans' Second Amendment rights.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me on this issue.* Please feel free to contact me at (312)*886-3506 or online at http://kirk.senate.gov*if you have any questions or concerns before Congress or the federal government.*It is an honor to serve you in the Senate.

Very truly yours,

Mark Kirk
    U.S. Senate

In order to preserve our Second Amendment rights, the bill would explicitly ban the federal government from creating a national firearms registry and would impose serious criminal penalties on any person who misuses or illegally retains firearms records.
    Too late. Ask ATF what happens to records sent for storage.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

I only got half way through the letter and tossed my hands up. Adding more firearms laws after bad ones doesn't stop criminals from breaking any of the laws. Go after the gangs... Take their leaders out using RICO statutes. You break the gangs, you break the crime. How is this difficult to understand?

Take the head of the dragon off, two things can happen, a new dragon head appears or its dead. Keep taking dragon heads off and the dragon will die.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I agree totally wolf_fire. Why this is so hard to understand is beyond me. I'm certainly not super smart but I get it.

6. Why? Because it make sense they can't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I only got half way through the letter and tossed my hands up. Adding more firearms laws after bad ones doesn't stop criminals from breaking any of the laws. Go after the gangs... Take their leaders out using RICO statutes. You break the gangs, you break the crime. How is this difficult to understand?

Take the head of the dragon off, two things can happen, a new dragon head appears or its dead. Keep taking dragon heads off and the dragon will die.
    Part of the problem, we have enough laws, we don`t enforce the one`s we have.
    Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no Evil, for YOU are with me; Remington 44 Mag:

email from today

As usual they want to add laws that they won't uphold to existing laws that they don't uphold so they can show criminals that they're not allowed to do that.AND WE PAY THESE PEOPLE TO DO THIS. And this idiot wants to talk about the 2nd amendment. Yep I see it now those criminals in Chicago are shaking in there boots!!! The only people that pay are law abiding citizens that just want there rights left alone
    FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE TRUTH AS LONG AS IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR

Mark Kirk is a RINO and is always on the wrong side of the gun control debate. I hope that no one actually believes anything he says. He's a big government progressive who will resort to any lies in order to strip citizens of their constitutional rights. As a Republican he is far more dangerous than Schumer who is openly hostile to the second amendment and the entire Constitution.

Lest we forget the dumb ass Obama health care bill, look at the Reid rider, should have read the damn thing before you signed it Ass Hole Obama. Screw your gun control.

After the Colorado thing. They are all shaking in their Gucci shoes.
    Hes running for cover saying Look we aren't gonna screw with your rights but we are declaring war on the gangs.
    Never mentioning that all of this gun violence he is trying to eliminate happens in neighborhoods that don't hear or see notin.

So you keep your rights but we are gonna screw over those blacks in the inner city.
    I believe that law-abiding sportsmen, hunters and Americans who wish to defend their homes and businesses should have their rights protected.
    WTF it he saying here.
    First of all when I hear them say "I believe" my response is I don't care what you believe you either follow the constitution or you are a tyrant. What's it gonna be ahole.

Screw this guy and find someone to primary him.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.