The PTSD scam
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The PTSD scam

1. The PTSD scam

The PTSD scam

Many think that WWII was our last legitimate war and thereafter the wars, mostly undeclared, were products of the MIC (Military Industrial Complex). I tend to believe this. President Eisenhower's military industrial speech was a warning directly to the people, a perfect fair well. Eisenhower was and remains the most credible observer of what the MIC could do to America, in my opinion.

The psychology industry is to be scrutinized as much as the MIC because it's constantly in need of validating itself and creating "data," a term it realized must be inserted into every discussion; every paragraph, to remain relevant and par with real sciences. The psychology industry will never cease inventing new illnesses to which nobody can see; better, no one can disprove. Like many industries, either government-funded or contracted, self-perpetuation and job security are first and foremost – the genuineness of the need of the industry is last of importance.

Interestingly, since the end of the American Civil War, one which commonly lost thousands of soldiers per battle and limbs as well, modern war has become safer for soldiers in leaps and bounds due to technology. Yet the call for personal sympathy after a modern war or battle increases per veteran.

Is it possible that modern wars' illegitimacy is the root of soldiers' and veterans' suicides more than anything else; just plain old guilt because unjustified killing is wrong?
    Last edited by MossyHead; 09-17-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: sp
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

No. That's the short answer. Longer answer is that this condition has been recognized and described since at least 1000 BC. A couple of examples are the description of trembling and fear by an Egyptian soldier, the leader of the 300 Spartans talking about the condition. See this site. https://www.myptsd.com/c/articles/hi...ss-disorder.9/

In civil war times it was called soldiers heart, WWI it was referred to as shell shock and since then often as combat fatigue. Now we call it PTSD. It can afflict anyone who has been subjected to extreme stress. Survivors of natural disaster, crime victims, anyone may be hit by it. It is not the sole province of soldiers and certainly not some politically conflicted and tortured soul. To try to inject some mumbo jumbo "illegitimate war" cause seems to demean it to me. It is not some touchy feely left wing guilt trip.
    Last edited by farsidefan1; 09-17-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: sp
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

I love the phrase military industrial complex. It's the easiest way to identify a wackjob that needs a tin foil hat. It's so disappointing to get deep into a conversation only to find out sometime is crazy. I appreciate when they announce it up front.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Like anything there are those that will exploit PTSD. As farsidefan1 stated, PTSD is real and it can and does affect many. Some are able to deal with it on their own others require professional help.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

The VA is among, if not the leader in identification, and treatment of PTSD. Those who doubt it, have never experienced anything that could remotely cause it.

NATIONAL CENTER for PTSD Home
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

There are some who take advantage of PTSD but I can assure you that it is real. My step son is on 100 % disability. He did suffer some serious physical injuries; but the total change in personality is undeniable. He does have a service dog and that really helps. But there is also a streak of violence, that along with the physIcal disabilities, makes holding a job virtually impossible. Before Iraq there was no sign of violent behavior.

This problem was observed and usually left untreated in WW2 vets. My uncle, who went ashore on D-day and remained In theatre until Germany's surrender, used to dive under a table when he heard a plane. His brother was also killed at the Battle the Bulge. It took years to get over his experiences and he never received any treatment.

Anyone who thinks PTSD is some kind of a scam is some kind of idiot who must never have spent time in combat or kown anyone who has. The reason we are hearing more about PTSD is because more vets are surviving wounds due better and more immediate medical care. Please refrain from making stupid and insulting statements about things which you can never understand.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MossyHead View Post
    The PTSD scam

Many think that WWII was our last legitimate war and thereafter the wars, mostly undeclared, were products of the MIC (Military Industrial Complex). I tend to believe this. President Eisenhower's military industrial speech was a warning directly to the people, a perfect fair well. Eisenhower was and remains the most credible observer of what the MIC could do to America, in my opinion.

The psychology industry is to be scrutinized as much as the MIC because it's constantly in need of validating itself and creating "data," a term it realized must be inserted into every discussion; every paragraph, to remain relevant and par with real sciences. The psychology industry will never cease inventing new illnesses to which nobody can see; better, no one can disprove. Like many industries, either government-funded or contracted, self-perpetuation and job security are first and foremost the genuineness of the need of the industry is last of importance.

Interestingly, since the end of the American Civil War, one which commonly lost thousands of soldiers per battle and limbs as well, modern war has become safer for soldiers in leaps and bounds due to technology. Yet the call for personal sympathy after a modern war or battle increases per veteran.

Is it possible that modern wars' illegitimacy is the root of soldiers' and veterans' suicides more than anything else; just plain old guilt because unjustified killing is wrong?
    Scam? You've obviously have never been in combat. Try holding your best buddies guts in with both hands waiting for a chopper & see if that doesn't **** up your head a little bit, have a hunch you'd be curled up in a fetal position pizzing yourself. Modern war has become safer? Ever hear of an IED you jerk.
    How do you brainwash a liberal? Simple, give him an enema.

It's posts like the OP's that makes me really wish that Luke instituted a "Dislike" button.

Anyone in combat understands the mental anguish that can utterly screw with a person as they try to adjust (if they can) back to civilian life. Anyone calling it a scam most likely has never served their country and certainly has never been in combat.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by MossyHead View Post
    The PTSD scam

This article is crap...

The psychology industry is to be scrutinized as much as the MIC because it's constantly in need of validating itself and creating "data," a term it realized must be inserted into every discussion; every paragraph, to remain relevant and par with real sciences. The psychology industry will never cease inventing new illnesses to which nobody can see; better, no one can disprove. Like many industries, either government-funded or contracted, self-perpetuation and job security are first and foremost – the genuineness of the need of the industry is last of importance.

One, you have obviously never served nor been in combat... as you have said in another thread... so, you have no friggin clue what you're talking about.

Two, if you doubt PTSD being real... you are as dumb as I think you are. I'll tell you what, let me implant my mind in your head for a month or so and then you can tell me if PTSD is real... especially during a period of time when I have a trigger that sparks a series of terrible flashbacks and nightmares.

Do I question what I did? You're ********* right I do! I took lives and I watched people die!!! If you don't think that will make anybody question what they did, you're an idiot. Do I like our gov't? Nope... sure don't. Do I agree with most of what we do? Nope... sure don't. Is it traumatic to be in combat? Yes, yes it is... It doesn't matter if you think you're the biggest, baddest M'er F'er around... unless you're already psychotic, it's going to bother you.

I've got some questions for you... How often do you hear the incoming indirect, the 107mm mortars, rhythmic chatter of PKM fire, the hiss of RPGs, the whiz and crack of .30 caliber rounds coming at you? How often do you hear the sound of your weapon sliding against your equipment, the rattle of mags, the thump of Mk 19s sending outgoing? How often do you see the explosion of incoming arty, the smoking 240 barrels or the dust on your boots? How many times have you been walking through walmart and as your wife is talking to you, you can't think of anything else but returning fire to the NE? How often do you initially think something on the side of the road isn't just trash?

How many days did you think you might not come home to your family? How many times did you say the number of hours you spent with your daughter before you left for Afghan, and think, "this is all she'll get..." How friggin many? How often do you taste the burnt powder in the air, when there is none? How many nights have you sat up looking at your boots, your medals and pictures of your friends? How many months did your wife struggle every day b/c her husband was "vacant"? How many times did she cry b/c she couldn't make love with him b/c he couldn't be anywhere else but, over there? How many anger outbursts have you had while doing daily activities, for no outward reason? How many people have commented about the bags under your eyes and you not be able to tell them why you can't sleep?

How many nights have you awaken, gasping for air... covered in sweat... screaming... b/c all you see when you close your eyes are those kids, your buddies or that one picture of your family still in your wallet... covered in dust? How many nights did you scare your wife b/c she didn't know what to do? How many times did you have to hold her after you awoke from your nightmare b/c she couldn't stop crying?

You have no idea what it's like to have PTSD, and it's offensive that you present it in this manner... believe me, son... it's real and you don't want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I am officially calling out Mossyhead as a troll. The last three posts I have seen him start have been anti-military, and by his own admission he has an utter disdain for those who have served. I haven't blocked anyone on this forum before, because I usually want to be able to refute unfounded claims or offer contradicting opinions.
    -
    Mossyhead, I have spent 25 years supporting and defending your right to voice your opinion; I have not read one item that makes me actually want to listen to it. You have nothing of value to add for me in this forum.
    Chief

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast