Starbucks falling from grace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks falling from grace

Angry Starbucks falling from grace

For those of you that have viewed Starbucks as a bastion of gun rights for not taking a stance or discriminating against gun owners as part of its customer base, it appears they've officially "not taken a stance", but encourage gun owners to leave them outside:

Starbucks Says Guns Unwelcome, Though Not Banned - ABC News

Can't say I'm terribly surprised. I understand them wanting to remain neutral, but by opening their mouths, they just tipped the scale to a side. I'm absolutely certain they will experience a dip in sales now. If legitimate gun owners can be counted on for at least one thing, it's principled views and steadfast dedication to taking the high road.

Quote Originally Posted by spasmonaut View Post
    Can't say I'm terribly surprised. I understand them wanting to remain neutral, but by opening their mouths, they just tipped the scale to a side. I'm absolutely certain they will experience a dip in sales now. If legitimate gun owners can be counted on for at least one thing, it's principled views and steadfast dedication to taking the high road.
    Don't just take your business elsewhere though, make sure they know why. My email to Starbucks:

Goodbye Starbucks. Your recent decision to blame the gun owners of America for dragging you into the gun control debate has caused me to take my business elsewhere. Maybe you should have asked the anti-gun groups to leave you alone as much as you asked the law abiding gun owners to leave you alone.

I find it hard to believe that you would make this decision based on the fact that historically you have made more money from the pro-gun groups than the anti-gun groups. But, if you don't want our money, someone else does.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by spasmonaut View Post
    For those of you that have viewed Starbucks as a bastion of gun rights for not taking a stance or discriminating against gun owners as part of its customer base, it appears they've officially "not taken a stance", but encourage gun owners to leave them outside:

Starbucks Says Guns Unwelcome, Though Not Banned - ABC News

Well he!!, they folded up like a cheap tent in a hurricane once pressure came to bear. They got wiped off my hero for the week award list.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

5. Starbucks, ya can't have it both ways! Have some integrity and show some faith in law abiding cc holders! We are safer than the radical left, and much more polite!! The life we save could be your employee!!

The Second Amendment protects All Rights!!

6. Starbucks "Our Public Request: No Weapon in our Stores Q&A"... Starbucks is caving! No more guns allowed per Corporate policy
    Hello alternative coffee shop!

They were probably threatened with endless and relentless audits by the IRS. Just a thought.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Starbucks devious request

A lot of people are missing the deviousness of Starbucks statement. Starbucks has pretty much disavowed any chance of being portrayed as "the bad guy" on this. Let's say someone brings a firearm into Starbucks... who's the bad guy? Is it Starbucks? No, not Starbucks....why? Because Starbucks didn't PROHIBIT firearms in their stores. Starbucks would never do that. They just politely asked the customer not to bring his gun into their store. But that guy with the gun - look at how inconsiderate he is! Starbucks was so nice just to politely ask him not to bring his gun into the store, but he won't listen to polite a polite request not to.

What is the anti-gun crowd going to do with that? "SEE! LOOK! We told you all about those pro-gun guys! They won't listen to polite requests! See how dangerous they are?!? It's not enough to just ask them to leave their guns outside, we must have laws to make them leave their guns outside! Poor, poor Starbucks! Those gun guys just won't respect their polite requests!"

I would rather Starbucks "manned up" and just posted their stores and prohibited firearms instead of taking the easy way out and pushing any and all bad publicity onto the pro-gun side.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

It's hard to blame them... they really were stuck between a rock and a hard place. No matter what they say they lose a bunch of customers. I'd always seen "we follow state law" as a desperate attempt to stay neutral, but these days people don't want neutral. I do wish they'd shown some backbone and stuck to their policy; I really don't like anyone or anything swaying to peer pressure, and while they still seem like they're making an attempt to stay neutral, this is kind of a cop-out. Sure, I get as a business they have to keep the customers happy, but still. Why not just put out an official statement asking us to stop our appreciation days? I would have respected that. Frankly, I actually appreciated someone abstaining from the argument and complying with local law. If the people change the law, they'll go with it. How many politicians nowadays are willing to do that?
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SR40c View Post
    They were probably threatened with endless and relentless audits by the IRS. Just a thought.
    "HEADLINE: STARBUCKS TARGETED ALONGSIDE TEA PARTY AND FREEDOM WORKS AS RIGHT-WING EXTREMISTS"

Hilarious. Good one SR40c!
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    It's hard to blame them... they really were stuck between a rock and a hard place. No matter what they say they lose a bunch of customers. I'd always seen "we follow state law" as a desperate attempt to stay neutral, but these days people don't want neutral. I do wish they'd shown some backbone and stuck to their policy; I really don't like anyone or anything swaying to peer pressure, and while they still seem like they're making an attempt to stay neutral, this is kind of a cop-out. Sure, I get as a business they have to keep the customers happy, but still. Why not just put out an official statement asking us to stop our appreciation days? I would have respected that. Frankly, I actually appreciated someone abstaining from the argument and complying with local law. If the people change the law, they'll go with it. How many politicians nowadays are willing to do that?

No they were not stuck between a rock and a hard place. Defer to local laws, and if someone stages a rally (any rally) at their store tell them to disperse. Their argument was with the rallying. So stop the rallying. Now they've chosen... "we don't like your guns, but I guess we'll put up with them if we have to". Really? Screw Starbuck's message. They spent a load on advertising to say they don't want guns when their real beef was they didn't want gun rallies.

As an aside, I never got why people would spend such an exorbitant amount on a cup of coffee when they can brew their own for pennies. *shrugs*
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast