Americans suffer from an overdose of presumption ...

Thread: Americans suffer from an overdose of presumption ...

1. Americans suffer from an overdose of presumption ...

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy" .... James Madison

Americans suffer from an overdose of presumption. We believe that democracy is all benevolent to the point of deism while ignorant to our birth as a republic - and knowing this leaves most still wondering what a republic is and what a democracy is not. Are you brainwashed by democracy? Are you sold out to anything America does militarily as long as flags fly and medals are issued?

Let's look back to the days of the Mexican-American War.
    "It is a fact, that the United States Army, in marching to the Rio Grande, marched into a peaceful Mexican settlement, and frightened the inhabitants away from their homes and their growing crops ..."
    "Kings had always been involving and impoverishing their people in wars, pretending generally, if not always, that the good of the people was the object. This, our Convention understood to be the most oppressive of all Kingly oppressions; and they resolved to so frame the Constitution that no one man should hold the power of bringing this oppression upon us."
    Congressman Abraham Lincoln

"...one of the most unjust...ever waged by a stronger nation against a weaker nation," an act more reminiscent of "European monarchies" than a democratic republic ..." Ulysses S. Grant, reflecting upon the Mexican-American War

Is it possible that the illegal alien issue is a spiritual recompense for our theft of California, Nevada, and Utah and portions of what would later become Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming? $15 million paid to Mexico 'afterwards' wasn't exactly a contract of good intentions but a rug to cover our dirt.

The next time you beat your chest for your military contribution and war exploitations, consider if you were (are) part of the problem of America's weak foreign and domestic reputation. And don't say, "I was just following orders." Don't you have a mind of your own and guts?

Are you a synthetic patriot, a product of Fox News and neocons? Or are you a real patriot, born of John Locke, Thomas Paine and America's early fathers who would never have signed off on America's ongoing embracement of Manifest Destiny.

references: work for it and get it yourself
    Last edited by MossyHead; 09-18-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: sp
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

MossyHead: I will give you credit for your writing abilities and, in some small degree, I have agreed with some of your assertions. I fail to understand, however, what you are trying to do and particularly your rant about the military. One doesn't need to be an historian or political scholar to understand our government, republic or democracy, whichever view you choose to take. I dare say that all on here have been exposed to the same information as you, although maybe not to the same degree, but enough to understand what you are talking about. We, as citizens, in reality have little effect on our government. We vote in our political processes for the people we hope will look out for us and our country. Our political system has been bastardized by greed and struggles for power and has put us in our current position. The "Golden Rule." They have the "gold" and, consequently, have the power to rule. Now that that fact is established, what do you intend to do about it? Do you consider yourself to be a modern day Don Quixote, an elderly man lost in his own fantasy world? Is the government and military your windmills? Or, are you trying to instigate others into revolutionary action against the government? Some of your other writings have seemed an attempt to have members of the military reject our national policies in favor of your ideas of how things should be and having military members refuse to obey. You obviously do not know the ramifications such an action would have on individual members, or the military as a whole. It is easy for you, one who has never served, to pontificate to those who have served and are currently serving our country. You really don't have a dog in that fight. Quixote, in his eccentricity and fantasy world, chose the way of arms to resolve his problems. You, on the other hand, seem to have chosen the way of letters by which you express your dissatisfaction with the world. It is odd that you, as a civilian, seem to have the audacity to criticize people in a profession about which you have no knowledge yet seem to think of yourself as the wise sage.

Attachment 10381

There is no evidence that Madison said that. It is possible that this was a modern translation of this quote “The means of defence agst. foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home."

Just FYI
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

5. I read all of this Oldgrunt and have no contest with anything you say - and you speak truth. We all have to do what we have to do. Take care and have a good rest of week.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    MossyHead: I will give you credit for your writing abilities and, in some small degree, I have agreed with some of your assertions. I fail to understand, however, what you are trying to do and particularly your rant about the military. One doesn't need to be an historian or political scholar to understand our government, republic or democracy, whichever view you choose to take. I dare say that all on here have been exposed to the same information as you, although maybe not to the same degree, but enough to understand what you are talking about. We, as citizens, in reality have little effect on our government. We vote in our political processes for the people we hope will look out for us and our country. Our political system has been bastardized by greed and struggles for power and has put us in our current position. The "Golden Rule." They have the "gold" and, consequently, have the power to rule. Now that that fact is established, what do you intend to do about it? Do you consider yourself to be a modern day Don Quixote, an elderly man lost in his own fantasy world? Is the government and military your windmills? Or, are you trying to instigate others into revolutionary action against the government? Some of your other writings have seemed an attempt to have members of the military reject our national policies in favor of your ideas of how things should be and having military members refuse to obey. You obviously do not know the ramifications such an action would have on individual members, or the military as a whole. It is easy for you, one who has never served, to pontificate to those who have served and are currently serving our country. You really don't have a dog in that fight. Quixote, in his eccentricity and fantasy world, chose the way of arms to resolve his problems. You, on the other hand, seem to have chosen the way of letters by which you express your dissatisfaction with the world. It is odd that you, as a civilian, seem to have the audacity to criticize people in a profession about which you have no knowledge yet seem to think of yourself as the wise sage.

Attachment 10381
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

Oldgrunt, I thought you asked some rather poignant and relevant questions. I was actually hoping to hear answers to them. *shrugs*
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)