Don't Give to Charities for Veterans, Police & Firefighters - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Don't Give to Charities for Veterans, Police & Firefighters

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by MossyHead View Post
    Several charities exist for US military veterans, police and firefighters. They would not exist to their current lucrative extent without the emotional manipulation of media, primarily Fox News and its so-called nemesis, the mainstream media. First, veterans – the Veterans Administration exists to deal with health and other needs issues for vets since, arguably, the time of the Continental Congress of 1776, in one form or another. Before mass media, particularly visual, i.e., TV, appeals to supplementary veteran charities was much lower profile and handled within local communities, churches and families – this kept it more honest; less manipulative. Contributors knew the recipients. Mass media has a big dog in the fight - emotion-stories sell, it's that simple.
    So, now we're asked to donate to veterans who volunteered to military life (last draft was Vietnam) and, like many private sector professions, knew the risks. The difference is that private sector professions of risk don't get free press. Police and firefighters are even less eligible for public sympathy and therefore, charity. Most already are recipients of exorbitant tax paid pensions negotiated by nefarious labor unions, one of the main causes of municipal bankruptcies of which we're expected to "bail out." Again, like veterans, police and firefighters constantly lobby for free press and get it. Incredibly good actors, script writers and special effects folks – and let's not forget the tear-jerking songs, usually with a country twang, do great jobs lightening your wallet.
    The three groups who solicit for our dollars, above and beyond what we already give them, play the dangerous jobs card as part of their basis for exclusivity. Interestingly, the U.S. Bureau of Labor from which these occupations are officially deemed so dangerous, typically doesn’t include private sector positions. Isn't that convenient?
    Commercial fishing, farming and ranching, convenience store cashiers (robbery and assault), electricians, linemen (electrical), tower climbers, oil and gas rig workers and a host of private sector professions are more dangerous per worker hour than professionals in the military, police and firefighting industries. Shall we establish charities for those folks as well?
    ps: I can personally vouch for the farming and ranching industries - was raised a farmer
    references: do the research work yourself
    I had you on the ignore list but, I had to read this one... YOU'VE GOT TO BE PHUCKING KIDDING ME!

    Luke, I fully understand if you ban me for this but... I'm sick of this dude's BS, so here goes:

    F**k you, you half-sacked, ignorant, little boy playing on the computer, spouting trash that you've got no business talking about! I'm going internet tough guy now: Let me ever meet you and I promise if you opened your mouth with the trash you do, I'd knock your GD teeth through the back of your head! You little runt! You're pathetic, dude... why don't you actually do something with your life that will give you the context to talk the way you do...? Too late, you can't and won't... pvssy.

    Forum members: I ask that you not take what I've written personal, it has nothing to do with you but... if you feel the need to report me I understand. I have broken Luke's rules... I get that. If this is my last post... deuces!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  2.   
  3. #12
    Just make sure that if you do decide to donate to these groups that they actually benefit the ones intended instead of employees of the organization......
    A man must do what he has to do, ain't none of us getting out of this alive....I have it from a reliable source....
    There can be no love without pain; to show you the value of love......

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    MossyHead: The government, however, is not living up to it's part of the bargain and healthcare for the military has all but become nonexistent. What medications I get through a military hospital are not free. My civilian insurance is billed for the cost of the medicine, not the government. Again, that wasn't part of the promise of healthcare. Our Congress is at fault for not properly funding for this necessary medical care. The government can spend money on vacations all over the world for the president and his family and their large entourages, provide an Air Force jet for Nancy Pelosi to fly to California when she was Speaker of the House and all the other perks that go with political life but they can't fund health care for veterans and, in some cases, active duty members. If you want to have a voice in veteran's affairs, I would strongly suggest that you at least become familiar with your subject matter and not be so quick to rush to judgement. Look into the Veteran's Administration and how it is unable to provide necessary services because of funding then look into the funding process and see if you can get it changed. I know, as a disabled veteran, I would certainly appreciate it.
    What I highlighted in red is a damn shame that the US government should not be allowed to get away with. All of the people who volunteered to serve this country should get what they were promised for their service to this country.

    If the medicine they are not paying for is not related to injuries you suffered in the line of duty to your country then I agree with them because the US government should only be required to cover the medicine needed to treat the injuries you sustained during your service to the country.

  5. #14
    First and foremost, I must apologize in advance, as I am not one to judge others opinions. However with being currently overseas myself, I found this thread to be beyond appalling, especially when i myself being injured in the line of duty have seen what some of these groups do. While i will agree that not all charities give the largest portion of their proceeds. I have seen men and women of our armed forces that have been blown up, shot, and suffered other injuries. Myself being one of them. Most vets do not do it for the money, or glory, or anything of that nature. We volunteered because of our pride in our country and our patriotism. I have personally seen the effects of the charity groups that you complain about. Wounded Warrior Project, just to name one has clothed numerous soldiers that had to be dragged in and needed clothed because that soldier was from a different area and was simply passing through. They make sure that any need of a soldier is met. Any of them. The bond between soldiers is beyond any compare. You say we know the risks. While we have the possibility of coming to a country that does not want us... However, we don't go looking for the trouble. We do not want to be blown up, and we certainly do not want to be injured... On top of the fact that we are all the way across the world. You talk about having a dangerous job. And while i will agree that farming has many hazards, along with the other occupations that you listed. Think of this.... We work day in and day out... We are luck if we get on day in seven off. We work tired and hungry. Get little sleep. Our Hours of sleep are few. We are stripped from our families and loved ones, and all the while we are being engaged by the enemy. We have minimal living quarters, terrible food, and no personal space. While I am not complaining, because i would gladly do all of this again.. But don't sit here and tell me that we don't deserve a little compassion. I am a guardsman here on Deployment, i know the risk in the civilian world. But guess what, our service members comprise the less than one percent that are willing to step up and answer that calling. We have the guts to want to give back to our country. And trust me the pay is nearly nothing. We get shot at every day out here for pennies on the dollar. I have watched my brothers in Arms be shot hurt and even die, so that you can have the freedom of speech that you hold dear. Fankly, the original post is the first that i have ever truly been ashamed to read from anyone. I am a freedom loving, gun loving man. But think twice next time about who you decide to talk down about. Cause you weren't man enough to step up to the calling. If i have offended anyone in my comments, I am sorry. But as a vet, who is currently over, and injured... With the possibilities of having permanent changes in my life due to those injuries, i felt the need to at least speak for those of us over here fighting the fight. You should be ashamed with yourself to talk poorly about those who serve. Think about that the next time you might need an officer for something, or a firefighter, or an EMT.... And in my case, you see the American flag. The stipes are red for a reason. Freedom isn't free.. God bless America.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by CarryNM View Post
    More charities than you can imagine are nothing more than a money making scheme of the already rich. Look at the figures of the Red
    Cross for instance, only 10% of the money collected goes to help folks. The rest goes to administration costs including over $750,000.00 per year for the leader. Give to St. Judes and other orgs. that truly use 100% of donations for their cause. I even hesitate to give food and water to some, as You never know where it actually goes. During Hurricane Andrew in Fla. My wife and I personally trucked 300,000 pounds of Ice from Tampa to Homestead Fla. We saw who got that ice and the effect it had on peoples lives.
    I will say this, after Andrew the Red Cross did less for the people than the Salvation Army did while getting 90% of the credit for everything. Yes it jaded me but it jaded mom more towards them. And she was a Red Cross volunteer at the base hospital. Those who brought ice were very much appreciated by those that got it.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hog Jaw, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,275
    Howdy MossyHead,

    Quote Originally Posted by MossyHead View Post
    ps: I - was raised a farmer
    Maybe, but nowadays you're an IDIOT.

    Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    I've never seen a police or fire department holding charities for themselves. All the "fill the boot" charities I did while firefighting was for a specific medical cause, ie: cancer, aids, ms, etc. If anyone wants to donate, good for them, if they don't, good for them too. Do I donate beyond giving my time? If I feel like it.

    I pay my taxes, I put my fair share into this country hoping they will keep our military ready to defend us from an invasion. Should I give more? If I feel like it, most of the time though I'd much rather spend money on ammunition and firearms to protect my family. As far as fighting for my Rights, that responsibility rests on MY shoulders. No soldier fights for MY Rights, they may fight for "democracy" and freedom, but not MY democracy and freedom.

    I hope people realize, even though mossy is talking down to vets, police, and firefighters, those people that are talking down to him and farmers, garbage collector's, etc, are just playing in the same filthy mud pit. There's no pride in that mud pit.

    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north east Iowa
    Posts
    1,250
    Like any other organization some are better than others. Some pay the executives big salaries and use 90% for "administrative fees". Others do much better. Glen Beck's, "Mercury One", gives 100 % to the designated causes; and administration fees are paid by Blaze subscriptions. The Salvation Army's also good. But a blanket statement not to contribute to veteran charities is utterly despicable. The simple fact is that the government does not do its job of providing for the needs of veterans very well. Veterans face an intolerable wait for benefits. And in general government sucks at almost everything. Check the charities on the net. There are websites that tell the administrative costs

  10. Thanks for the thumbs up Stengun - you got guts and obviously not part of the trembling schoolish cliques, which comprise most of the forum, afraid to speak outside the box - hope your reputation is not ruined by it, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by MossyHead View Post
    Several charities exist for US military veterans, police and firefighters. They would not exist to their current lucrative extent without the emotional manipulation of media, primarily Fox News and its so-called nemesis, the mainstream media. First, veterans – the Veterans Administration exists to deal with health and other needs issues for vets since, arguably, the time of the Continental Congress of 1776, in one form or another. Before mass media, particularly visual, i.e., TV, appeals to supplementary veteran charities was much lower profile and handled within local communities, churches and families – this kept it more honest; less manipulative. Contributors knew the recipients. Mass media has a big dog in the fight - emotion-stories sell, it's that simple.
    So, now we're asked to donate to veterans who volunteered to military life (last draft was Vietnam) and, like many private sector professions, knew the risks. The difference is that private sector professions of risk don't get free press. Police and firefighters are even less eligible for public sympathy and therefore, charity. Most already are recipients of exorbitant tax paid pensions negotiated by nefarious labor unions, one of the main causes of municipal bankruptcies of which we're expected to "bail out." Again, like veterans, police and firefighters constantly lobby for free press and get it. Incredibly good actors, script writers and special effects folks – and let's not forget the tear-jerking songs, usually with a country twang, do great jobs lightening your wallet.
    The three groups who solicit for our dollars, above and beyond what we already give them, play the dangerous jobs card as part of their basis for exclusivity. Interestingly, the U.S. Bureau of Labor from which these occupations are officially deemed so dangerous, typically doesn’t include private sector positions. Isn't that convenient?
    Commercial fishing, farming and ranching, convenience store cashiers (robbery and assault), electricians, linemen (electrical), tower climbers, oil and gas rig workers and a host of private sector professions are more dangerous per worker hour than professionals in the military, police and firefighting industries. Shall we establish charities for those folks as well?
    ps: I can personally vouch for the farming and ranching industries - was raised a farmer
    references: do the research work yourself
    Last edited by MossyHead; 09-22-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: sp
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    I guess Mossyhead thinks that only the folks at ATT deserve a charity. So not everyone who risks their lives is known to the likes of Mossy but he is ungrateful to those he knows do.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast