Don't Give to Charities for Veterans, Police & Firefighters
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Give to Charities for Veterans, Police & Firefighters

1. Don't Give to Charities for Veterans, Police & Firefighters

Several charities exist for US military veterans, police and firefighters. They would not exist to their current lucrative extent without the emotional manipulation of media, primarily Fox News and its so-called nemesis, the mainstream media. First, veterans – the Veterans Administration exists to deal with health and other needs issues for vets since, arguably, the time of the Continental Congress of 1776, in one form or another. Before mass media, particularly visual, i.e., TV, appeals to supplementary veteran charities was much lower profile and handled within local communities, churches and families – this kept it more honest; less manipulative. Contributors knew the recipients. Mass media has a big dog in the fight - emotion-stories sell, it's that simple.
    So, now we're asked to donate to veterans who volunteered to military life (last draft was Vietnam) and, like many private sector professions, knew the risks. The difference is that private sector professions of risk don't get free press. Police and firefighters are even less eligible for public sympathy and therefore, charity. Most already are recipients of exorbitant tax paid pensions negotiated by nefarious labor unions, one of the main causes of municipal bankruptcies of which we're expected to "bail out." Again, like veterans, police and firefighters constantly lobby for free press and get it. Incredibly good actors, script writers and special effects folks – and let's not forget the tear-jerking songs, usually with a country twang, do great jobs lightening your wallet.
    The three groups who solicit for our dollars, above and beyond what we already give them, play the dangerous jobs card as part of their basis for exclusivity. Interestingly, the U.S. Bureau of Labor from which these occupations are officially deemed so dangerous, typically doesn’t include private sector positions. Isn't that convenient?
    Commercial fishing, farming and ranching, convenience store cashiers (robbery and assault), electricians, linemen (electrical), tower climbers, oil and gas rig workers and a host of private sector professions are more dangerous per worker hour than professionals in the military, police and firefighting industries. Shall we establish charities for those folks as well?
    ps: I can personally vouch for the farming and ranching industries - was raised a farmer
    references: do the research work yourself
    Last edited by MossyHead; 09-21-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: sp
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." attributed to Benjamin Disraeli by Mark Twain

Ive got to say, even though you have made some points, I look at it this way, who else puts their lives on the line for our sorry a$$es? Certainly not farmers, electricians, tower climbers etc. The soldiers volunteered for one reason or another, but they wear the uniform that represents our country, they spend a year or more over seas to fight an enemy on foreign soil so we dont have to fight them here, Police arrive to arrest the unruly neighbor who may have otherwise murdered his wife or beat his/her son unconscious. Firemen run into a burning building as others are running out, why? To pull our trapped behinds out of the flames. As I said, I understand what youre trying to say, however, I look at it this way, I made that money, I can give it to whom I want, you can choose to hold your dollars, I however will give because they deserve it.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

4. I'm curious, do you think that Veterans, Police and Firefighters don't deserve charities or that others (such as farmers) deserve them more?

We're farmers and ranchers, but we don't expect donations from taxpayers. However we DO get subsidies from the government which ultimately come from taxpayers. For those of you who say we're getting rich at taxpayers' expense, think again. I know there are some who get ridiculous payouts that certainly don't need them, but most of us just barely get by.
    That said, I think that firefighters, soldiers, and law enforcement are a lot more deserving than we are. Yes, farming is one of the more dangerous jobs, but we don't risk our lives to save people like they do.
    I do NOT make donations to anyone who calls me on the phone asking for my help though. Anything I donate to is either done locally or something of my own choosing. Too many of those calling for donations have high overhead, millionaire CEOs, and little of it ever gets to where it's supposed to.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

More charities than you can imagine are nothing more than a money making scheme of the already rich. Look at the figures of the Red
    Cross for instance, only 10% of the money collected goes to help folks. The rest goes to administration costs including over $750,000.00 per year for the leader. Give to St. Judes and other orgs. that truly use 100% of donations for their cause. I even hesitate to give food and water to some, as You never know where it actually goes. During Hurricane Andrew in Fla. My wife and I personally trucked 300,000 pounds of Ice from Tampa to Homestead Fla. We saw who got that ice and the effect it had on peoples lives.
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

Everyone is entitled to do what they want with their money and who they choose to donate to is their business.

If I have to make a choice of who to donate to, my first choice would not necessarily be to go with any profession where people get into for the money. IE: "Commercial fishing, farming and ranching, convenience store cashiers (robbery and assault), electricians, linemen (electrical), tower climbers, oil and gas rig workers and a host of private sector professions". (And don't give me the "you think farmers farm for the money?" line either. They aren't farmers for the nobility of the profession, they are in it because it is a family affair and the rewards that go with the job.) Everyone on the list choose their jobs for the rewards that go with the position.

I defy you to find a single man or woman that joined the military to get rich. THere are many reasons they may have joined but they are the only people hanging it all out there to protect our Nation. You cant say that about any pole climber or farmer.

And if you think that the VA is the say all do all for our veterans care, then you have never been involved with the VA. They do what they can with what they got but unfortunately, our government doesn't give enough to take proper care of the returning that need care. Our "elected representatives" do not deem the VA as a high priority for expenditure.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Ive got to say, even though you have made some points, I look at it this way, who else puts their lives on the line for our sorry a$$es? Certainly not farmers, electricians, tower climbers etc. The soldiers volunteered for one reason or another, but they wear the uniform that represents our country, they spend a year or more over seas to fight an enemy on foreign soil so we dont have to fight them here, Police arrive to arrest the unruly neighbor who may have otherwise murdered his wife or beat his/her son unconscious.
    Well I will be the one who says it Police and soldiers who volunteered for one reason or another do not put their lives on the line for our sorry a$$es but their own. Part of the reasons to volunteer to be a soldier is for the GI bill and other benefits offered for volunteering to serve your country. The Police sure as hell are not doing it to save our lives because there are more then enough videos showing the police standing by while a person is attacked and killed or raped. After one person sued the police this was the headline in the NYTimes
    WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po...otus.html?_r=0 So the only jobs you listed that do try and save our sorry a$$es would be the Firedepartment and first responder EMT's.

I do respect the people that decide to volunteer and server our country, I just don't believe they all do it out of wanting to keep us safe.

MossyHead: I don't mean to be constantly crossing swords with you but you seem to have a particular animus against the military. I attribute that to you never having served and you are basing your judgements on TV ads, etc. Believe it or not, I agree with you about all the ads you see concerning veterans. Those ads should never be run because the government should be taking care of our wounded service members. That was part of the contract when we all entered the service. All military members serve this country as a whole. They are representatives of the US and the defenders of our freedoms. If, during the course of their duties they become wounded or disabled, it is incumbent upon the government to provide them with necessary aftercare, not just throw them aside. The government, however, is not living up to it's part of the bargain and healthcare for the military has all but become nonexistent. What medications I get through a military hospital are not free. My civilian insurance is billed for the cost of the medicine, not the government. Again, that wasn't part of the promise of healthcare. Our Congress is at fault for not properly funding for this necessary medical care. The government can spend money on vacations all over the world for the president and his family and their large entourages, provide an Air Force jet for Nancy Pelosi to fly to California when she was Speaker of the House and all the other perks that go with political life but they can't fund health care for veterans and, in some cases, active duty members. If you want to have a voice in veteran's affairs, I would strongly suggest that you at least become familiar with your subject matter and not be so quick to rush to judgement. Look into the Veteran's Administration and how it is unable to provide necessary services because of funding then look into the funding process and see if you can get it changed. I know, as a disabled veteran, I would certainly appreciate it.
    You seem to take exception to any assistance being given to members of those "dangerous" professions which some willingly enter into. None of us entering those professions went in with the intent of having anyone providing for us afterward, with the exception of retirement pay. There are dangers inherent in those professions and, if we, who entered them, didn't do it, who would? I hope you are not so naive as to think we could exist without these people. Some, as in a post above, seem to think so but, when something happens, "Who you gonna call?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    So the only jobs you listed that do try and save our sorry a$$es would be the Firedepartment and first responder EMT's.

I do respect the people that decide to volunteer and server our country, I just don't believe they all do it out of wanting to keep us safe.
    For the most part, you're probably right about the police. But there are exceptions, such as domestic violence.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

I've read several of your posts Mossy... you seem to be a very angry person. Your hate mongering about the military has been strewn within several posts and now you've added public servants to your list of people to hate. The interesting thing about these three professions is they all have one thing in common: they all provide a public service of protection for the American people; the veteran fights for a national freedom and our individual freedom, the firefighter runs into the burning building to help those that cannot run out of it, and the police officer will run to the sounds of gunshots rather than do what the sheep have done which is run away from them.

If charities exist for these professions could it be that some in this country think we should be doing more for them than what they already receive because of what they do? None of these people are ever going to be rich doing what they do. They do what they do because they feel they make a difference.

Now, I understand your reasons for not wanting to give to a charity for any of these three professions, and I will not argue your reasons. However, what I don't understand is why you post that no one else should either. What I or anyone else does with our hard earned dollars should be our business, just as what you do with your dollars should be your business. No one likes to be preached to as to what they should or should not be doing especially when it comes to our money and this is exactly what you have done.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast