Palin = Reagan & Thacher - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palin = Reagan & Thacher

I personally disagree with the implication that Sarah Palin has less "experience" than Obama. If anyone running has "0" experience, it is Obama, in spades (and that is NOT a pun). Sarah has to deal with Russia, Canada and Japan on huge international fisheries issues (remember, she is in between Russia - 50 miles away - and Canada), she is the Commander-in-Chief of the Alaska Air and Land National Guard, which permanently operates the primary missile defense system for the USA. She has had to make major decisions, and stand by them, both as a mayor and a governor - something Obama (famous for voting "Present" in the senate, how is that for decisive!) and Biden have never had to do. Remember, being a senator (state or federal) is being a member of a "Good Old Boys Debating Society" - then off to a liquid lunch! They debate and potificate, but do not take responsibility for any earth shaking decisions (it is a club of "Royalty, after all). Just my take from a lot of reading and research, plus Sarah and Todd are Bristol Bay gill net commercial fisherfolks, as tough and ready as anyone (I did that for 16 tough years!).
    sailor

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    I personally disagree with the implication that Sarah Palin has less "experience" than Obama. If anyone running has "0" experience, it is Obama, in spades (and that is NOT a pun). Sarah has to deal with Russia, Canada and Japan on huge international fisheries issues (remember, she is in between Russia - 50 miles away - and Canada), she is the Commander-in-Chief of the Alaska Air and Land National Guard, which permanently operates the primary missile defense system for the USA. She has had to make major decisions, and stand by them, both as a mayor and a governor - something Obama (famous for voting "Present" in the senate, how is that for decisive!) and Biden have never had to do. Remember, being a senator (state or federal) is being a member of a "Good Old Boys Debating Society" - then off to a liquid lunch! They debate and potificate, but do not take responsibility for any earth shaking decisions (it is a club of "Royalty, after all). Just my take from a lot of reading and research, plus Sarah and Todd are Bristol Bay gill net commercial fisherfolks, as tough and ready as anyone (I did that for 16 tough years!).
    sailor

I guess that Hawaii's geographical proximity to Japan also gives Hawaii's governor foreign policy expertise, much like Florida's geographical proximity to Cuba, as does California, New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas's proximity to Mexico. While we're at it, let's also assume that Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Vermont, and Maine's proximity to Canada makes those governors experts in Canadian foreign policy? Give me a break. Sarah Palin is no more a foreign policy expert than B. Hussein Obama is an NRA member.

I wouldn't argue that Palin has any foriegn policy experience just because of the geography of Alaska, but on the other hand, I wouldn't attempt to say that Obama has any such experience from his half-year or so in the Senate. The entire 'experience' argument is a loser for the Obama ticket because everyone would expect the more experienced member to be on top of the ticket. In that regard Obama/Biden is upside-down.

Meanwhile, it seems like there are a lot in the media who are absolutely RABID about tearing down Palin, which I think will actually help her in the long run; there are a lot of us out here who really don't trust some of those guys in D.C. and New York to bring us unbiased news coverage, and I'd say that so far, they have lived up to those expectations. Gibson quoting Palin out of context in order to make her seem like a fanatic is just the most recent example. It's like they really can't help themselves sometimes, and I think that it will end up hurting their Chosen One.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but personally, I'm not super-hyped about McCain. He was not my first, second, or even third pick for the Republicans, and I've spent the last few months weighing my third-party options. Then he picked Palin. That might change things. The problem is that I would rather vote for Palin than McCain. Which means that the best argument for voting for McCain right now are 1) that he might not appoint horrible judges to the SCOTUS like we KNOW Obama will, and 2) he's pretty friggin' old and might die soon. It's pretty depressing, but that's just the way I see it.
    "Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."
    -Abraham Lincoln, March 21, 1864

The media and we put more emphasis on the cantidates themselves than we should. One thing that concerns me is whoever is elected president, who will he surround himself with as advisors and will he listen to them.

This is my concern with Obama is that I am afraid of those that he allows to give him advice and what he does with that advice. In my opinion he has surrounded himself with some very questionable people to be his close advisors and will continue that path. With that I am very concerned about him winning the election. Although I do not agree with McCain on a lot of things I do think that his advisors will be much closer to my thinking than Obama. Palin can overcome her lack of experience by choosing a good staff and I think she would.

The media has their own agenda and it has nothing to do with the truth. Again I post the following quotes as a reminder to what they really are all about.

"Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we decide they ought to have."
    Richard Salent, former president, CBS News

"We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets, and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows."
    Katherine Graham, Washington Post publisher and CFR member.

"There is no such thing as an independent press in America, unless it is in the country towns. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print.

"I am paid $150.00 a week for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for doing similar things. If I should permit honest opinions to be printed in one issue of my paper, like Othello, before twenty-four hours, my occupation would be gone.

"The business of the New York journalist is to destroy truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify, to fawn at the feet of Mammon; to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. We are the tools and vessels for rich men behind the scenes. We are intellectual prostitutes."

John Swinton, editor of the New York Tribune.

"We are going to impose our agenda on the coverage by dealing with issues and subjects that we choose to deal with."
    Richard M. Cohen, Senior Producer of CBS political news.

"We in the press like to say we're honest brokers of information and it's just not true. The press does have an agenda."
    Bernard Goldberg, as quoted by Harry Stein in the June 13-19, 1992 TV Guide.

Now anyone still think we really have a free pess that tells us the truth?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

When it all comes down to it, there really aren't any good choices in this election. Sure, with McCain, we can be sure he'll appoint pro 2A Supreme Court justices, but with the Senate under Democratic control, how do we know that he won't be forced to settle for a borderline liberal? Does anyone remember Bush 41's appointment of David Souter, who is now solidly a part of the court's liberal wing? How do we know that the same won't happen with McCain?

8. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    When it all comes down to it, there really aren't any good choices in this election. Sure, with McCain, we can be sure he'll appoint pro 2A Supreme Court justices, but with the Senate under Democratic control, how do we know that he won't be forced to settle for a borderline liberal? Does anyone remember Bush 41's appointment of David Souter, who is now solidly a part of the court's liberal wing? How do we know that the same won't happen with McCain?
    You make a good point. But while we may not be sure McCain won't select a borderline liberal for SCOTUS, I think we can all pretty much agree that Obama definitely will select a liberal SCOTUS nominee!
    Stay safe - DW
    NRA Endowment Member
    Retired Fed

As far as 2A is concerned, the only person I can say I would trust to protect our rights is Palin; McCain, Obama, and Biden are too wishy washy on the issue to be trustworthy. However, before anyone rejoices over a possible McCain victory for that reason, we first need to restore the Senate back to Republican control so that we can be sure that no pro 2A Supreme Court appointees get filibustered or rejected. A pro 2A presidential nominee (can't say that either Obama or McCain really fit that bill) doesn't mean a hill of beans if the Senate won't approve his Supreme Çourt nominees.

What gets me is all the Hollyweird fruit cakes that have begun to attack her. When I see these mental midgets attack someone it just reinforces my support for them.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

What???

You mean you aren't swayed by the brilliant arguments of Chevy Chase, Lindsay Lohan, or even Sean "P-Diddy" Colmes? You sir, must be some sort of anti-intellectual, Christian Extremist Hatemonger(tm)! Shame on you, HK42, shame! You need to learn to listen to those who are obviously better than you.
    "Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."
    -Abraham Lincoln, March 21, 1864

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast