Congressional Reform Act of 2013

Thread: Congressional Reform Act of 2013

This may have already been posted here, but I received it again via e-mail and can't say I oppose any of it...

1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

Problem is the people your wanting to enforce are the same people that would have to vote it in.
    FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE TRUTH AS LONG AS IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR

Never said it was a perfect idea...
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

Repeal the 27th Amendment and replace it with the people of each state shall determine the pay of their representative and senators not to exceed the poeverty level of each district or state. The president shall not make more then 2 times the averaged poverty rate of the nation. And shall be entitled to unemployment from thier state includes the president and all appointed.

Feel free to add or make changes as this could catch on
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    Never said it was a perfect idea...
    On the contrary, it is a perfect idea and would help to eliminate the current "old boy" network in Congress. Unfortunately, that is the very reason it will never happen!

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    This may have already been posted here, but I received it again via e-mail and can't say I oppose any of it...

1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
    You forgot term limits... No more than 12 years in Congress (6 terms in the House, or 2 terms in the Senate, or a combination thereof, not exceeding 12 years) Then you go back to your real job after you have served the American people!!!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I don't know, items one and three are at odds. That and Congress people have paid into Social Security since 1984, I believe, when they changed their retirement. Also, they currently pay into their own retirements, but most people would LOVE to have THEIR retirement programs! They're about five times better than the average. As for number seven, the American people have ALLOWED these "contracts" to be made, so there's no argument there, either. I think wolf_fire had the right idea that would pretty much automatically solve most of these issues and that's TERM LIMITS. I would also allow Representatives terms for FOUR years with a two-term limit. I'd go one step further and revert to allowing the state governors to appoint their Senators as was originally in the constitution and changed in 1913. 'Course that would involve another amendment, I believe. Funny thing (not really) about 1913. That's the year I believe that the income tax was OKed. Oh, and the Federal Reserve, I think. And the dollar was worth about 96% MORE than it is now!
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.