Brown vetoed a bill Friday that would have imposed the nation’s toughest gun restric

Thread: Brown vetoed a bill Friday that would have imposed the nation’s toughest gun restric

Brown vetoed a bill Friday that would have imposed the nation’s toughest gun restric

You Won’t Believe Which Governor Just Vetoed an Anti-Gun Bill That Would Have Been America’s Most Restrictive — Or Why He Shot It Down

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed a bill Friday that would have imposed the nation’s toughest restrictions on gun ownership, saying it was too far-reaching.

“I don’t believe that this bill’s blanket ban on semi-automatic rifles would reduce criminal activity or enhance public safety enough to warrant this infringement on gun owners’ rights,” the Democratic governor wrote in his veto message.

The legislation would have banned future sales of most semi-automatic rifles that accept detachable magazines, part of a firearms package approved by state lawmakers in response to mass shootings in other states.

It was lawmakers’ latest attempt to close loopholes that have allowed manufacturers to work around previous assault weapon bans. Gun rights groups had threatened to sue if the semi-automatic weapons ban became law.

Brown also noted that California already has some of the nation’s strictest gun and ammunition laws.

The legislation was among 17 gun bills considered by the governor as he works toward a Sunday deadline to act on bills sent to his desk last month. He signed 10 firearms bills into law while vetoing seven.

Democratic Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, who proposed the rifle restrictions, said in a statement that more than 1,100 Californians have been killed with guns since the mass school shooting in Newtown, Conn., in December.

“I believe aggressive action is precisely what’s needed to reduce the carnage in our communities, and to counter the equally aggressive action by the gun industry,” Steinberg said.

California Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, second from left, gestures to a pair of semi-automatic rifles as he discusses a package of proposed gun control legislation at a Capitol news conference in Sacramento, Calif. Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed Steinbergs’s SB374 which would have banned future sales of most semi-automatic rifles that accept detachable magazines, Friday, Oct. 11, 2013. (Credit: AP)

Paul Song, executive chairman of the Courage Campaign, an advocacy organization that supported the gun bills, said in a telephone interview that Brown appeared to be trying to defuse a possible campaign issue as he runs for re-election next year. The organization later released a much stronger statement accusing the governor of “cowardly behavior” and saying he “will have blood on his hands.”

Brown objected to the bill banning the sale of future semi-automatic weapons with detachable magazines because he says it also would have applied to low-capacity weapons commonly used for hunting, firearms training and target shooting, and some historical and collectible firearms. Brown also didn’t want thousands of legal gun owners to have to register their existing weapons as assault rifles and be blocked from selling or transferring the weapons.

“That was, without a doubt, the most egregious piece of anti-gun legislation ever brought to a governor for his signature,” said Clint Montfort, an attorney with Michel and Associates, West Coast counsel for the National Rifle Association.

“We appreciate that the governor has respected the rights of California gun owners.”

Montfort said the NRA is examining the bills that Brown did sign into law to see if any merit legal challenges.

The governor signed a measure from Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, which bans kits that allow people to turn regular ammunition magazines into high-capacity magazines, as well as two other pieces of legislation that restrict the ability of mentally ill people to possess firearms.

But Brown rejected a bill that would have required owners whose firearms are lost or stolen to promptly notify law enforcement. The governor noted he vetoed a similar bill last year and still doubts that criminalizing the failure to report missing weapons would help law enforcement track down gun traffickers or those prohibited from owning weapons.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

Dunno if this is a true win or just a delay tactic to protect his chances at reelection. Maybe it's another sign of the repercussions of the CO recall. Either way, some freedoms preserved for Californians.

Didn't the Supreme Court rule that a whole class of firearms could not be banned? This bill would, therefore, be unconstitutional (as are all gun control laws). Gov. Brown did the right thing on this one. Saved the state a whole lot of money on lawsuits. He did, however, sign the lead ammo ban, but it will not be in effect till 2019 and maybe never due to federal government rulings on armor-piercing ammunition.
    We're still fighting! We'll keep fighting! All you people who have left CA should have stayed and helped us.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons" General MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by JeanP View Post
    Didn't the Supreme Court rule that a whole class of firearms could not be banned? This bill would, therefore, be unconstitutional (as are all gun control laws). Gov. Brown did the right thing on this one. Saved the state a whole lot of money on lawsuits. He did, however, sign the lead ammo ban, but it will not be in effect till 2019 and maybe never due to federal government rulings on armor-piercing ammunition.
    We're still fighting! We'll keep fighting! All you people who have left CA should have stayed and helped us.
    Six years is a long time to stockpile ammo in.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

CA is violating the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    CA is violating the second amendment.
    All states are violating the 2nd Amendment. Some just worse than others. Form 4473 is the first step in that and all states have to have it filled out.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    All you people who have left CA should have stayed and helped us.
    Umm....Really? You pay the exorbitant taxes that keep that commie rat-hole in business. If you want to beat 'em, you should all leave, and when the beast is starved and bankrupt, maybe go back and rebuild from the ash-heap. If you're anything like this CA native though, you'll find a home where you don't feel ripped off every time the property/sales/vehicle registration/utilities/income tax bills come in, and that doesn't even take into account the multitude of liberty-killing laws that you willingly choose to live under.

You can stay and fight the Marxist state government, the race riots, the earthquakes, fires and mudslides, the four-county-wide Gestapo-style manhunts like the one for Chris Dorner, the pollution that closes the beaches you grew up nearly living in/on, the "border" check points that are 80 miles from the border and on and on and on, but don't tell those of us who chose to find some peace in their lives that we should've stayed to save your bacon from the fire when all it would take for you to be quite a bit more free is for you to get in the wind under your own power.

We decided to leave the first night of the Rodney King riots. A month later, CA was in our rear view mirror. Before that, I lost almost everything I owned in a house fire, and what I was able to salvage I put in the garage and it got burglarized while the house was being rebuilt and we were staying with Mom. Before that, the Sylmar Earthquake knocked me out of bed on my 16th birthday, knocked the house I grew up in off its foundation, and knocked the DMV where I was going to get my driver's license down to the ground. Before that, I can remember my single mom and grandmother being scared out of their wits trying to figure out how to secure the house because all we saw on the news showed the Watts riots burning what seemed like all of LA County to the ground.

CA is still the highest populated state in what's left of this dead Union. If ~40,000,000 of you can't figure out how to fix it, that should tell you that there's something wrong with you for staying, not something wrong with those of us who found some semblance of freedom elsewhere.

You really should learn how to end a post that otherwise would've inspired empathy and understanding for your plight. But if you want to play the blame-game, you really need look no further than your own damned mirror.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Umm....Really? You pay the exorbitant taxes that keep that commie rat-hole in business. If you want to beat 'em, you should all leave, and when the beast is starved and bankrupt, maybe go back and rebuild from the ash-heap. If you're anything like this CA native though, you'll find a home where you don't feel ripped off every time the property/sales/vehicle registration/utilities/income tax bills come in, and that doesn't even take into account the multitude of liberty-killing laws that you willingly choose to live under.

You can stay and fight the Marxist state government, the race riots, the earthquakes, fires and mudslides, the four-county-wide Gestapo-style manhunts like the one for Chris Dorner, the pollution that closes the beaches you grew up nearly living in/on, the "border" check points that are 80 miles from the border and on and on and on, but don't tell those of us who chose to find some peace in their lives that we should've stayed to save your bacon from the fire when all it would take for you to be quite a bit more free is for you to get in the wind under your own power.

We decided to leave the first night of the Rodney King riots. A month later, CA was in our rear view mirror. Before that, I lost almost everything I owned in a house fire, and what I was able to salvage I put in the garage and it got burglarized while the house was being rebuilt and we were staying with Mom. Before that, the Sylmar Earthquake knocked me out of bed on my 16th birthday, knocked the house I grew up in off its foundation, and knocked the DMV where I was going to get my driver's license down to the ground. Before that, I can remember my single mom and grandmother being scared out of their wits trying to figure out how to secure the house because all we saw on the news showed the Watts riots burning what seemed like all of LA County to the ground.

CA is still the highest populated state in what's left of this dead Union. If ~40,000,000 of you can't figure out how to fix it, that should tell you that there's something wrong with you for staying, not something wrong with those of us who found some semblance of freedom elsewhere.

You really should learn how to end a post that otherwise would've inspired empathy and understanding for your plight. But if you want to play the blame-game, you really need look no further than your own damned mirror.

Blues
    Well, I guess you told me. Do you feel better? I wasn't looking for sympathy, empathy or understanding. I was just saying that sometime we have to take a stand. I choose that time to be now. Too many people in California, myself included, stood back and did nothing. We saw all this coming and sat in our easy chairs and let other people do our fighting for us. We voted liberal politicians into office because we believed their lies. We created the problem. Now, some of us, believe we have to fix it.

I am sorry for your misfortunes in California. And, I am happy that you found a place to have a good life elsewhere. However, I believe that unless we fix California, you are going to face the same problems where you currently live. I'm seeing this happen in many other states. Please keep careful watch on what is happening in your state capital. Be really careful who you vote for. That way you can continue to have the good life you have made for yourself and your family. As the old saying goes "As goes California, so goes the rest of the nation."

I just ask that you wish me and mine a successful fight. For fight it is and we will keep at it.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons" General MacArthur

Well, I guess you told me. Do you feel better? I wasn't looking for sympathy, empathy or understanding. I was just saying that sometime we have to take a stand. I choose that time to be now. Too many people in California, myself included, stood back and did nothing. We saw all this coming and sat in our easy chairs and let other people do our fighting for us. We voted liberal politicians into office because we believed their lies. We created the problem. Now, some of us, believe we have to fix it.

I am sorry for your misfortunes in California. And, I am happy that you found a place to have a good life elsewhere. However, I believe that unless we fix California, you are going to face the same problems where you currently live. I'm seeing this happen in many other states. Please keep careful watch on what is happening in your state capital. Be really careful who you vote for. That way you can continue to have the good life you have made for yourself and your family. As the old saying goes "As goes California, so goes the rest of the nation."

I just ask that you wish me and mine a successful fight. For fight it is and we will keep at it.
    You are so right! Many who have left CA, NY or other lib strongholds have started voting and trying to change their new home state into what they ran away from. The lib-o-rats must be stopped, defeated not got along with. The libs never try to get along with anyone who opposes their view or agenda! There are also libs in the GOP. They must be weeded out too!

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Well, I guess you told me. Do you feel better?
    Actually, no. I take no joy at all in contemplating the state of the state of CA. Your last line just seemed weirdly non-sequitur as what preceded it was about freedom and rights etc, which my wife and I exercised by leaving.

I wasn't looking for sympathy, empathy or understanding.
    I said the rest of your post engendered empathy and understanding. Accept it or reject it, it's yours to do with what you will.

I was just saying that sometime we have to take a stand. I choose that time to be now.
    I applaud that choice, but quite obviously that's not what you "just" said. You also included a scolding for anyone who's left CA, and that's what I limited my comments to. I certainly did not intend any of those comments to deride or criticize your activism.

Too many people in California, myself included, stood back and did nothing.
    That would decidedly not be me. I fought Prop 15 in the early 80's with way more trips to Sacramento than I could afford. Same with the motorcycle helmet law after Pete Wilson (whom I voted for) promised bikers he would never sign one, but vacillated behind the insurance lobby pressure. We extracted promises from him right up to two days before he signed it, after about 12,000 of us left town of course. I was still fuming over that betrayal a few months later when the Rodney King riots broke out, and that was all that was necessary to push us out. But neither of us "stood back and did nothing" while we were there, that you can take to the bank.

We saw all this coming and sat in our easy chairs and let other people do our fighting for us. We voted liberal politicians into office because we believed their lies. We created the problem. Now, some of us, believe we have to fix it.
    In 1974 I got in some trouble in Germany while I was in the Army. A small law-office that catered to GI's and was funded by the ACLU made the consequences bearable and got me a ticket home. All attorney fees were picked up by the ACLU, so when I got home I kind of felt like I owed them, so I looked up the local chapter and volunteered to help 'em out however I could. Within a couple or three weeks I got a call inviting me to their monthly meeting, and the first thing on the agenda was discussing how they could promote a gun control proposal that was in its beginning stages, which eventually became Prop 15. I sheepishly raised my hand and said something like, "Umm....doesn't the 2nd Amendment protect gun rights? Why is the ACLU supporting the denial of rights?" I literally got laughed out of the room, and so a conservative gun-rights advocate was born. I think I can lay claim to being the first one to protest against Prop 15 by walking out of that meeting and never looking back over my left shoulder. And after five years living in WA State I went back for personal family reasons just in time to get in the thick of the fight for the fully-matured Prop 15. And we won. Killed it, so to speak.

I said all that to say this: I come from a rabidly Democratic family, but by age 19 when I realized that it was a left-wing issue to push for gun control, I knew right then that I was a conservative. I dove into and studied the Constitution and found myriad issues on which I could hang my conservative hat. I never ever voted in liberal politicians. I don't say that to chide you for what you say above, but just to say that that was never something I could relate to, even amongst all the friends I grew up and went through school with. Everyone around me was leftist and as such, I just didn't fit in, even though I was a native, so when I found a woman who shared my values (perhaps ironically, who was from another of the most liberal states, Massachusetts) in '85, we were both looking East long before we loaded up the truck and actually left.

All that said, I hope many more Californians are coming around like you apparently have. I certainly don't have any criticism for that, and sincerely hope my previous post didn't come across as though I did.

Well, when I lived there I used to buy into that mantra too. It really isn't true here and in others of the more rural states though. In 2010 Alabama Republicans took all three branches of government for the first time in 136 years. I'm not sure if any neighboring states made such complete turnarounds as we did, but the trend down here in Dixie Land is definitely leaning conservative, as well in states like WY, MT and SD, and probably others that I haven't kept an eye on. We passed laws that went into effect in August of this year that turned the state from "may issue" to "shall issue," as well as strengthening gun laws and making them closer to being Constitution-compliant. Other Southern states either have new laws too, or legislation is pending that accomplish similar things as we have.

Perhaps this time, if fortune shines on you, the new mantra will be, "As Dixie goes, so goes California."

Consider it wished.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...