Small Legal Victory for Military Veteran Arrested After ‘Rudely Displaying’ Rifle - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Legal Victory for Military Veteran Arrested After ‘Rudely Displaying’ Rifle

Even if it was a "set-up" to walk through busy areas/etc - why would it make any difference? its no different then when Open Carry people walk around towns/etc - plenty of videos of them doing it and rally's supporting it. the cop was in the wrong to try and take it off him. He literally walked up, grabbed the gun, then attempted to remove it without asking, without any reason other then his belief he was right. More so when open carry is legal. Even if Grisham was trying to provoke a response, trying to push boundaries, and what not - So a entire persons life is now defined by everything that can be dug up about them in past?

As for Grisham grabbing the stock - idk about you but a single point slings quick detach feature wasn't meant to be yanked on from a 2nd party. The whole point of a sling like that is to prevent it being yanked away by another party while making it quick access. The cop was pulling the gun and thus Grisham to him. and to prevent being yanked by the neck - he replanted his feet and held to the stock - at which point the cop went for his gun. The cop was stupid in trying to use the QD while holding the gun. He should have just asked for the rifle from Grisham - more so because the QD feature would require both the cops hands + focus to maneuver it off the guy.. He should have just asked questions / waited for backup - and stood at a distance. Instead the cop approached / grabbed the rifle and tried to remove it.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunewolf View Post
    Even if it was a "set-up" to walk through busy areas/etc - why would it make any difference? its no different then when Open Carry people walk around towns/etc - plenty of videos of them doing it and rally's supporting it. the cop was in the wrong to try and take it off him. He literally walked up, grabbed the gun, then attempted to remove it without asking, without any reason other then his belief he was right. More so when open carry is legal. Even if Grisham was trying to provoke a response, trying to push boundaries, and what not - So a entire persons life is now defined by everything that can be dug up about them in past?

As for Grisham grabbing the stock - idk about you but a single point slings quick detach feature wasn't meant to be yanked on from a 2nd party. The whole point of a sling like that is to prevent it being yanked away by another party while making it quick access. The cop was pulling the gun and thus Grisham to him. and to prevent being yanked by the neck - he replanted his feet and held to the stock - at which point the cop went for his gun. The cop was stupid in trying to use the QD while holding the gun. He should have just asked for the rifle from Grisham - more so because the QD feature would require both the cops hands + focus to maneuver it off the guy.. He should have just asked questions / waited for backup - and stood at a distance. Instead the cop approached / grabbed the rifle and tried to remove it.
    Dunewolf, I agree with everything you're saying here. I posted the Yon blog-post as a related story is all. I said, "Yon is convinced that Grisham set up the Temple PD, using his status as a "combat vet" (which Yon dismisses as a lie), his son, the slung AR and his route through busy areas where he knew someone would call him in as nothing more than props for his "play." I don't know if I buy it really, but y'all decide."

Did you read the piece? Yon was embedded with Grisham's unit. He knows him well. It wasn't just a piece by a stranger scrutinizing only the events in the video, it was a piece adding to what he knows first-hand of the person in the video being harassed and illegally arrested.

I agree that the cop was in the wrong, and other OC'ers get support from me on a regular basis - I think in all cases where someone slams them. I don't care if he set it up either, except I do find it distasteful if he used his son as a prop in doing it. I also wouldn't appreciate a big lie being the basis for garnering support. I have supported MarkedGuardian and other OC'ers who are/were up-front about them being out there just to create contacts in an effort to educate and/or resist LEOs that don't know or won't follow the law, and I support Grisham for the same reason(s), but if what Yon says has any validity, he risks alienating people like me who put personal honor, honesty and credibility above the issues we might agree on.

I wasn't giving the cop a pass for going after the QD, I was clarifying for jrs that that is indeed what he was doing as his post suggested to me that he wasn't aware of that fact.

Yon's piece gives first-hand opinions about Grisham's character, both as a person and as a soldier. If that's 100% irrelevant to you, then disregard it. If you like to know as much as you can about the people to whom you lend your support, then read the piece, and then, like I said, decide for yourself if what Yon says matters to you.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Yeh I tried to go read the site - but it wouldn't load with the way my browser security is set up - I block flash/scripts/etc on unknown sites. The way his site is coded nothing loaded but the menu bar at the top - rest is all empty of text/etc.

I wasn't trying to point out you as in the wrong or anything, I was trying to use what you posted (as its only thing I could read) about Yon, as a basis for argument that it shouldn't matter his (Grishams) history, as its what took place in the video as shot by the cops dash-cam. All events leading up to it don't matter either really.

basically what Yon is doing is a character attack - which even if correctly told shouldn't even effect the case - since its hearsay in court. The cop is wrong, but instead of admitting his mistake - he throws a bunch of charges at the guy hoping something sticks, when it falls flat the prosecutor tries to attack the character in order to make some kind of charge stick. Which the judge shouldn't even entertain.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunewolf View Post
    Yeh I tried to go read the site - but it wouldn't load with the way my browser security is set up - I block flash/scripts/etc on unknown sites. The way his site is coded nothing loaded but the menu bar at the top - rest is all empty of text/etc.

I wasn't trying to point out you as in the wrong or anything, I was trying to use what you posted (as its only thing I could read) about Yon, as a basis for argument that it shouldn't matter his (Grishams) history, as its what took place in the video as shot by the cops dash-cam. All events leading up to it don't matter either really.

basically what Yon is doing is a character attack - which even if correctly told shouldn't even effect the case - since its hearsay in court. The cop is wrong, but instead of admitting his mistake - he throws a bunch of charges at the guy hoping something sticks, when it falls flat the prosecutor tries to attack the character in order to make some kind of charge stick. Which the judge shouldn't even entertain.
    Again, I agree with mostly everything you're saying here, except for one thing - I don't see how you can assert knowing, "Basically what Yon is doing...." when you say in the same post that you haven't read the piece you claim to be basing that conclusion on. My very limited synopsis of a rather long and detailed blog-post doesn't give you anything more than my impressions of it which, as far as you should be concerned, could be quite biased as I already said I've read Yon quite a bit and that I trust him. If you're going to claim to know "basically what Yon is doing," you should base it on your own interpretation of what he wrote, not what I said or think about what he wrote.

That said, I realized that I made a very significant mistake in my last post. I said that Yon knows Grisham well. Oops. He's never met him. I know how the mistake happened. When I first found the Yon blog-post, the search result that I clicked on went to Page 2 of the post. I didn't realize that I was reading Page 2 of 2 until I just clicked on the link in my Post #8 trying to see if the site looked particularly bloated such that security software would block just plain text and some .jpg's (which it didn't to me), but anyway, the link I copied from the top of Page 2 did go to Page 1, so I just saw Page 1 for the first time, and it says right in the first paragraph or two that Yon has never met Grisham. Still, everything he says about Grisham is based on either personal experience (over the internet) or extensive research in his capacity as a military journalist. Yon was embedded with Grisham's unit, but apparently it was after Grisham had left.

Anyway, I am glad I went back to the link and found my mistake. I made the record straight as soon as I found it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by DRDuff View Post
    Although I am a staunch supporter of the second amendment and a veteran myself, I fail to understand why he felt that an AR-15 was necessary for a hike with his son. I also don't understand why he felt the need to lock a magazine into the weapon when he had a concealed carry on his side. Texas is not that dangerous! I hope things work out for him also.
    Since when is the Second Amendment about proving "need"? Ever been around where coyotes hang out? Heck, have you ever been around anywhere where there aren't any coyotes ever around?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by DRDuff View Post
    Although I am a staunch supporter of the second amendment and a veteran myself, I fail to understand why he felt that an AR-15 was necessary for a hike with his son. I also don't understand why he felt the need to lock a magazine into the weapon when he had a concealed carry on his side. Texas is not that dangerous! I hope things work out for him also.
    Concerning the bold statement, this applies to me as well, but I'm not sure how it pertains to your next statements. How can you both be a "staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment" and ridicule a man for exercising said right? Have you been hiking in areas that have feral pigs? Have you been hiking in areas with coyotes? These are but two reasons that someone would "NEED" to carry an AR. Texas is dangerous. They have many wild animals in TX, they also have another brand of wild animal called a criminal. The AR is a perfect deterrent for that particular brand of animal and it was completely legal for him to carry this way in TX.

But you miss the point, staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment. No where in the 2nd Amendment does it address that you must have a need for your weapon. The need is already expressed within the amendment. Mocking each other's choice of carry only leads to a disunity in the firearms community. Our community needs to be united and solid to fight the antis. Saying things like "I fail to understand why he felt that an AR-15 was necessary" is something the anti's would say. Don't be an anti and in the same breath say you are a staunch supporter. You are either one or the other.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12