NRA needs to become more proactive against school shootings
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NRA needs to become more proactive against school shootings

NRA needs to become more proactive against school shootings

As an NRA Life Member, I generally support all policies and positions taken by the organization. I have done so ever since I joined up in the 1980's when California, my adopted state and current home, tried to suppress gun ownership with its infamous Proposition 15. Today, the media reports that a middle school student in Sparks, Nevada shot fellow students and a teacher and then took his own life. At least one other is dead. How did this young person obtain a loaded firearm? It seems to me the NRA could help the current situation by developing a national ad campaign on family gun safety, a campaign that would be as well-conceived and as widespread as the erstwhile "I am the NRA." But it should be more than advertising. It should be a multi-faceted campaign of education and communication that is serious and effective. It may or may not recommend new legislation. But it should demonstrate convincingly that the NRA's support for the 2nd Amendment allows no room for gun ownership where loaded firearms can fall into the hands of unsupervised minors. It should be part of a national, local and state-level campaign to eliminate in so far as possible all school shootings. As the preeminent gun organization in America, the NRA has an obligation, as well as an opportunity, to lead the way out of this national nightmare involving the misuse of guns by children. It is time to do more than oppose reflexive and useless gun-ban legislation. The NRA must step up.

How about just eliminate the un-Constitutional gun free zones, like schools? Rather than try to force people into a certain type of action like you are suggesting, let those that work at the school carry if they so choose.

Now when a BG comes to the school with a firearm, there are other people with firearms to stop the threat.

Easy-peezy, follow the Constitution.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Perhaps the problem is that the NRA's base doesn't see much value in education but rather responds to slogans and flag waiving. sure, the NRA spends some on gun safety education, but contributions might drop if the NRA spent a majority of its resources on on a campaign aimed at educating the public about gun safety, adults and children included. The NRA can't even have a gun raffle - it has to be a "banned gun" raffle to garner interest from the rank and file.

I have to wonder why (hell, I know why) the staff member who was killed trying to save students from the shooter was not armed so his intervention could have been active and not passive. All too familiar a scenario for those of us who have been in the classroom on a day when the campus alerts go off and we go into lockdown. A classroom full of students looking to you, a potential active killer and a gun-free zone. Recipe for disaster.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

I think there's two separate issues here. Keeping guns out of the hands of unsupervised kids, and school shootings. School shootings can be done by adults as well as kids, so keeping guns out of the hands of kids won't necessarily stop that problem. Arming teachers or having some sort of armed staff will stop that, or make it too dangerous or ineffective.

The other issue can include kids shooting themselves or friends accidentally. The NRA can help with that... they already do, with their Eddie Eagle program (if only schools would allow that to be taught to all kids there'd probably be fewer problems). They could have better programs for parents... how to talk to your kids, etc. Possibly offer safety classes for the younger kids. But really, this comes down to parental responsibility. Keep the guns locked up and teach your kids what to do and not do with them. There's already a lot of resources out there for parents... the NRA can emphasize the importance of it, but if the parents aren't willing to teach the kids, or allow schools to teach the kids about guns and safe handling, there's not much they can do.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

I think it is a little premature to begin trying to seek solutions considering we haven't even established a motive. In a Fox News article there is a mention in the last paragraph that the school where the shooting took place has a strict uniform policy forbidding the wearing the colors red or blue because these are commonly associated with rival gangs. Barely a mention of what could be a central point.
    That being said why not incorporate firearm safety courses in school curriculum instead of pointing a finger of accusation saying bad gun, bad gun. The NRA invest heavily in gun safety education and would probably invest more if they were given the opportunity to do so.

Put the blame where it belongs - Pi$$ poor parenting.
    Summer hobby is boating on the Bay and Lake Michigan.
    Winter hobby is driving that Jeep off the sides of mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Boater View Post
    Put the blame where it belongs - Pi$$ poor parenting.
    Have you seen the irrational rants - I mean, blogs - by mothers who are furious at their schools for trying to play the Eddie Eagle movie for kids? Even my pro-gun control sister thinks they're insane! I mean really, you don't want your little kid to know not to touch guns?!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    I think there's two separate issues here. Keeping guns out of the hands of unsupervised kids, and school shootings. School shootings can be done by adults as well as kids, so keeping guns out of the hands of kids won't necessarily stop that problem. Arming teachers or having some sort of armed staff will stop that, or make it too dangerous or ineffective.

The other issue can include kids shooting themselves or friends accidentally. The NRA can help with that... they already do, with their Eddie Eagle program (if only schools would allow that to be taught to all kids there'd probably be fewer problems). They could have better programs for parents... how to talk to your kids, etc. Possibly offer safety classes for the younger kids. But really, this comes down to parental responsibility. Keep the guns locked up and teach your kids what to do and not do with them. There's already a lot of resources out there for parents... the NRA can emphasize the importance of it, but if the parents aren't willing to teach the kids, or allow schools to teach the kids about guns and safe handling, there's not much they can do.
    So what you are advocating is that school staff be allowed their 2nd Amendment rights back AND that parents should actually parent. What novel ideas.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    So what you are advocating is that school staff be allowed their 2nd Amendment rights back AND that parents should actually parent. What novel ideas.
    Yep! Gonna revolutionize the world! We shall use logic and common sense. Politics will work again!
    Modern Whig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast