Pediatrician questioning firearms @ home
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician questioning firearms @ home

How do you guys answer the question at the pediatrician about guns in the house? Read last year that they are allowed to ask, but what is our legal requirement to answer?

I'm strongly leaning to respond tomorrow that "you are welcome to ask me medical questions."
    Current status: getting personal instruction from a friend before CCL - still no holster, biometric vaults in-home, or full-size mag
    Gun: S&W M&P 9c

3. The only time I will answer about a gun is to a LEO...and that is ONLY if I did something wrong and I am carrying at the time. My doctor has no business asking me questions that do not pertain to my medical care.

I do not know if that line of questioning is legal or not.

Hmm... Dunno. I might consider saying something like "I make sure he understands gun safety so he'll know what to do if he sees a firearm in ANY house."

I'll have to look in to it... but then, people lie to their doctors all the time... Plus, doctor-patient confidentiality must factor in somewhere, though I wouldn't trust to that these days.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Medical questions do not pertain to my firearms therefore the doc has no need to know. And I instruct my children if asked by anyone that they are to tell them that they will have to ask their parents. That is not a question that they are to answer.

Doctor to patient: Do you have firearms in your home?

Patient to Doctor: How often do you make love to your wife?

Doctor to patient: That is none of your business!

Patient to Doctor: Exactly.

I'm sure you don't have to answer the question, but it's possible they can refuse to treat you or your family if you choose not to. Not sure about that. Has anyone tried telling them it's none of their business?
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    How do you guys answer the question at the pediatrician about guns in the house? Read last year that they are allowed to ask, but what is our legal requirement to answer?

I'm strongly leaning to respond tomorrow that "you are welcome to ask me medical questions."
    No legal requirement to answer. If you have a good relationship with the Ped, you might remind him/her that, while Obama declared that nothing in Obamacare prohibits a doctor from asking those questions, he/she is also under no obligation to ASK those questions, either. This is the "Protection of Second Amendment Gun Rights" clause that was engineered into Obamacare:

‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.—A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection(a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of anyinformation relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessedfirearm or ammunition in the residence or on the propertyof an individual; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearmor ammunition by an individual.
    ‘‘(2) LIMITATION
    ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protec-tion and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the collection of any information relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearmor ammunition;
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or
    ‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.
    ‘‘(3) LIMITATION
    ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None ofthe authorities provided to the Secretary under the PatientProtection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment madeby that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession ofa firearm or ammunition.
    ‘‘(4) LIMITATION ON DETERMINATION OF PREMIUM RATES ORELIGIBILITY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE.—A premium rate may notbe increased, health insurance coverage may not be denied,and a discount, rebate, or reward offered for participation ina wellness program may not be reduced or withheld underany health benefit plan issued pursuant to or in accordancewith the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or anamendment made by that Act on the basis of, or on reliance upon—
    ‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearmor ammunition; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use or storage of a firearm or ammuni-tion.
    ‘‘(5) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION REQUIREMENTS FORINDIVIDUALS.—No individual shall be required to disclose anyinformation under any data collection activity authorized underthe Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amend-ment made by that Act relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearmor ammunition; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearmor ammunition. http://www.ncsl.org/documents/health...ed.pdf#page=19
    This clause expressly prohibits the collection of information regarding individual firearms ownership.

When Obama discovered what Reid had done in including this clause, he immediately had the DHHS come out with a fact sheet that "explained" that the right of doctors to ask invasive questions had to be protected:

Protect the rights of health care providers to talk to their patients about gun safety: Doctors and other health care providers also need to be able to ask about firearms in their patients’ homes and safe storage of those firearms, especially if their patients show signs of certain mental illnesses or if they have a young child or mentally ill family member at home. Some have incorrectly claimed that language in the Affordable Care Act prohibits doctors from asking their patients about guns and gun safety. Medical groups also continue to fight against state laws attempting to ban doctors from asking these questions. The Administration will issue guidance clarifying that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit or otherwise regulate communication between doctors and patients, including about firearms.
    So you are under no obligation to answer their questions, they are not obligate to ask those questions, and they are prohibited from collecting data about our firearms ownership.

Please note that your healthcare insurance provider is also prohibited from taking any action against you as well.

My family has been schooled.
    Dr. to Family member: Do you have guns in the house ?
    Family members to Dr: Guns ?, What guns ?
    Summer hobby is boating on the Bay and Lake Michigan.
    Winter hobby is driving that Jeep off the sides of mountains.

When information about guns in a home becomes part of medical records, which regardless of what HIPPA actually says, the US government now has the information.

I don't care if I run into my doc leaving the range one day, and we chat about our guns. When asked in his office I will not answer, for then it is entered it into the database government has full access to and it is none of their damn business.

The same people that trust our government to not collect this type of information, are the same ones that also would never believe that our government is collecting and archiving all digital communications by citizens in the country, or more commonly known as complete fools.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

You guys rock. I'll school my wife before the appt. I never cease to be amazed at the collective knowledge and wit of my fellow members.
    Current status: getting personal instruction from a friend before CCL - still no holster, biometric vaults in-home, or full-size mag
    Gun: S&W M&P 9c

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast