Feds Stage Pre-Dawn Raid for Potato Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feds Stage Pre-Dawn Raid for Potato Gun

Feds Stage Pre-Dawn Raid for Potato Gun

QUICK! Everybody hide your potato guns before the Feds raid your house. I didn't know there was such a thing as a potato gun until I read this article. Wonder what calibers they are in? The underlying theme in this story is that the Feds were upset about Mrs. Hudson writing articles that were not favorable to the Air Marshal program and a bogus warrant to search for unregistered weapons and a "potato gun" was used to get into her home. Their registered weapons were seized along with her personal confidential files. Gestapo tactics seem to becoming common place now days. The files were later returned to her but I don't now about the weapons.

Audrey Hudson’s husband had just left for work on August 6 when suddenly, her dog began barking. The nationally-known journalist walked over to the curtains and peeked outside to discover her Chesapeake Bay home was surrounded by law enforcement officers wearing full body armor.

The phone rang. It was her husband.

“I’m in the driveway,” he said. “The police are here. Open the door.”

And so began Hudson’s nightmare – held captive by armed agents of the U.S. Coast Guard, Maryland State Police and the Department of Homeland Security as they staged a pre-dawn raid in search of unregistered firearms and a “potato gun.”

But instead of taking the potato gun, agents seized unrelated government documents and notes from the former Washington Times journalist.

Agents took Hudson’s records during a search for guns and related items owned by her husband, a civilian Coast Guard employee. They also confiscated her legally registered firearms, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The armed agents held Hudson and her husband in the kitchen as they searched their home. At some point, one of the agents asked if she was the same person who had written a series of stories critical of the Federal Air Marshal program in the mid-2000s.

Hudson did indeed author those stories for The Washington Times.

“Those stories were embarrassing to the agency,” she told me.

It wasn’t until five weeks after the pre-dawn raid that Hudson realized agents had taken her private documents – documents that were not listed on the search warrant. At the time she was told that “miscellaneous documents” had been taken.

“I got a call from Homeland Security and they told me I could come pick up the documents,” she said. “The search warrant did not allow them to walk out with those documents. They clearly violated the search warrant.”

It appears the agents were on a fishing expedition. Hudson tells me her home is filled with boxes and boxes of files.

“But they only took five files – and all five had to do with the Federal Air Marshal stories,” she said.

The Coast Guard told The Associated Press its investigator was suspicious that the government documents in her possession were labeled “law enforcement sensitive.” However, they were returned after concluding Hudson had obtained them under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act.

But that doesn’t explain why the Coast Guard took her personal, handwritten notes. Nor does it explain why the Coast Guard accessed her personal Facebook page.

“I think they found a great way to get into my house and get a hold of my confidential notes and go through every other file in my office,” she said.

The Washington Times said Friday it is preparing legal action to fight what it called an unwarranted intrusion on the First Amendment.

“While we appreciate law enforcement’s right to investigate legitimate concerns, there is no reason for agents to use an unrelated gun case to seize the First Amendment protected materials of a reporter,” Times Editor John Solomon said.

The Coast Guard defended their actions. A spokesman said the warrant authorized police to search the family’s home for guns, ammunition, records of gun purchases, gun cleaning kits and other gun-related documents.

It should be noted that neither Hudson nor her husband have been arrested and no charges have been filed.

“We have absolutely no idea what this is all about,” Hudson told me.

I’ve got a pretty good idea. It’s about the federal government trying to intimidate an American journalist.

The Obama administration has a history of targeting journalists in their effort to root out leaks. The Associated Press noted that the raid on Hudson’s home came one month after Attorney General Eric Holder toughened the Justice Department’s rules for seizing reporters’ phone records, notes or emails using federal subpoenas or search warrants.

“This really can’t stand,” Hudson told me. “You cannot come into a journalist’s home under false pretenses with a bogus warrant and just waltz out with confidential files.”

So if you’re doing the constitutional math, I’d say the Obama administration has violated the Hudson family’s first, second and fourth amendment rights.

“Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that state police and federal officers would come into my house at 4:30 in the morning to take my files without a federal subpoena,” she said.

It’s really not all that surprising the Obama administration would use a potato gun to trample the constitutional rights of an American citizen.

It’s a perfect tool for shredding potatoes – and the U.S. Constitution.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Feds Stage Pre-Dawn Raid for Potato Gun - Patriot Outdoor News - Patriot Outdoor News

Attachment 10625

There are areas of the country that already already display all the qualities of a police state. Our government is warning us not to disobey our rulers. Individual liberty no longer exists when it comes to challenging an all powerful government. Our government of laws has become a government of men, the elite, intellectual, ruling class.

I like this little tidbit from a different source:
    A Coast Guard spokesman, Carlos Diaz, said the records seized were labeled "For Official Use Only" and "Law Enforcement Sensitive" — which do not mean they were classified — and appeared out of place. He said the investigator properly documented the seized records, and the documents were returned after concluding Hudson obtained them under the Freedom of Information Act. The search warrant authorized police to search the family's home for guns, ammunition, records of gun purchases, gun cleaning kits and other gun-related documents.
    Notice how those seized documents were not in any way referenced in the search warrant. Mere suspicions of an LEO are not grounds for the seizure of private property, and the warrant did not in any way cover those documents.
    Two additional links from Fox:
    Federal agents' pre-dawn raid on reporter's home raises questions | Fox News
    Coast Guard seizes reporter's government records in search | Fox News
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

"I didn't know there was such a thing as a potato gun until I read this article. Wonder what calibers they are in?" Well old Grunt, they come in "russet", "red potato", and "Yukon Gold". My kids used to make them all the time. They even fitted one up to shoot frozen grapes like a shotgun! Good thing the Fed wasn't so touchy 25 years ago.

No surprise that the Times us screaming about violations of the "1st Amendment" but they support violating the "2nd Amendment."

Our rights are evaporating before our very eyes - rapidly. Did these people get all of their property back (guns, potato gun(ha)...)? Who is going to foot the legal bills? Who authorized this raid and what judge signed off on the warrant? Et al, ad nauseum... is this site and it's members being closely scrutinized? Which one of us could be chosen as an example to the others not to cross or criticize our overlords? New examples of oppression are being exposed regularly but how many are not coming to light?
    Benjamin Franklin's exhortation to the patriots to, "all hang together or all will hang separately" draws closer every day!
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    "I didn't know there was such a thing as a potato gun until I read this article. Wonder what calibers they are in?" Well old Grunt, they come in "russet", "red potato", and "Yukon Gold". My kids used to make them all the time. They even fitted one up to shoot frozen grapes like a shotgun! Good thing the Fed wasn't so touchy 25 years ago.
    When I was a kid we made tennis ball cannons. Five of the old steel soda cans with the top/bottom removed are taped together. Cut a small hole at the base. Insert the tennis ball, put a little rubbing alcohol in the hole, aim and light it. She blows the tennis ball about 100 yards.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by MI .45 View Post
    Our rights are evaporating before our very eyes - rapidly. Did these people get all of their property back (guns, potato gun(ha)...)? Who is going to foot the legal bills? Who authorized this raid and what judge signed off on the warrant? Et al, ad nauseum... is this site and it's members being closely scrutinized? Which one of us could be chosen as an example to the others not to cross or criticize our overlords? New examples of oppression are being exposed regularly but how many are not coming to light?
    Benjamin Franklin's exhortation to the patriots to, "all hang together or all will hang separately" draws closer every day!
    After the expose' of the NSA's activities, would it surprise anyone if this site was monitored by Big Brother? After many of the things said on here, there is no doubt that we would be at the top of their subversives list. Freedom of speech is a thing of the past in this country. If memory serves me, our ancestors came to this country in order to get away similar conditions in Europe. Question now is, where do we go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    After the expose' of the NSA's activities, would it surprise anyone if this site was monitored by Big Brother? After many of the things said on here, there is no doubt that we would be at the top of their subversives list. Freedom of speech is a thing of the past in this country. If memory serves me, our ancestors came to this country in order to get away similar conditions in Europe. Question now is, where do we go from here?
    I would bet every penny and everything I own that this site is being monitored and a list is being made of what we own and such. Which is why I must say I no longer have any guns, ammo and such. I really wish I did have at least one.

11. It's amazing how many rogue waves have destroyed boats and cargo, private or corporate lately!

Truly a spectacle to behold! The worst spate of global bad weather to strike in years!

RIP, old friends.

==========================

I love giving the illegal government eavesdroppers something to talk about!

Our alphabet soup agencies and others are out of control. Much more of this, and the citizens of this nation will push back.

Getting used to martial law and police state are not on my dinner plate.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast