Public Support For Gun Control At Lowest - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public Support For Gun Control At Lowest

I am very happy to see that support of tighter gun control is going down. I am sad to see that as many Americans as do think there should be more control. At least we are going in the right direction though.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Political designations of liberal and conservative differ from those you are pointing out. Conservatives generally follow the Constitution closer while liberal political views often skew the Constitution. This is why you get "far right" and "far left" designations. It is true that not all liberals are anti 2A, but it's very few.
    Maybe I can be more clear.... 'liberal' used as a noun is a very generic label for a political group, while 'liberal' as an adjective has considerably more semantic value. Using them interchangeably doesn't work, especially when talking about the 2nd amendment.

Claiming conservative ownership to the 2nd amendment is one of the biggest mistakes the gun lobby has ever made. Promoting it as simple constitutionality and common sense is how to win over converts. Until actually winning the battle becomes more important that scoring points against the 'enemy', the 2A movement isn't going to get where it needs to be. This isn't supposed to be a polarizing political issue at all, so why is it being promoted as such?

As for your claim about who skews the constitution more, your invitation to a liberal vs. conservative constitutional brawl is respectfully declined... :o

Quote Originally Posted by ishi View Post
    Maybe I can be more clear.... 'liberal' used as a noun is a very generic label for a political group, while 'liberal' as an adjective has considerably more semantic value. Using them interchangeably doesn't work, especially when talking about the 2nd amendment.

Claiming conservative ownership to the 2nd amendment is one of the biggest mistakes the gun lobby has ever made. Promoting it as simple constitutionality and common sense is how to win over converts. Until actually winning the battle becomes more important that scoring points against the 'enemy', the 2A movement isn't going to get where it needs to be. This isn't supposed to be a polarizing political issue at all, so why is it being promoted as such?

As for your claim about who skews the constitution more, your invitation to a liberal vs. conservative constitutional brawl is respectfully declined... :o
    Had no intention of starting a brawl with anyone. I just enjoy a good discussion. :)

My mistake, ron. It's not easy being the only lefty in a sea of conservatives... Sometimes I see statements that you guys just accept as uncontroversial common sense, and it appears as if I'm being baited, even when that's not the intention at all. Sigh... :(
    Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ishi View Post
    My mistake, ron. It's not easy being the only lefty in a sea of conservatives... Sometimes I see statements that you guys just accept as uncontroversial common sense, and it appears as if I'm being baited, even when that's not the intention at all. Sigh... :(
    No problem Ishi. As I stated before, there are some liberals that are pro 2A and, evidently, your one of them. That's a good thing. Just to let you know, I have voted for the occasional Democrat. They're not all bad. :)

The pros and cons of this post

I was both encouraged and discouraged to note that the anti posts, in general, seemed like brain-washed youngsters, with no support for their argument but hearsay and innuendo.

Was pleased to see Standing Wolf's as usual on-the-mark post. I wish I could find his email address again so as to invite him to this site. He was an astute and valued contributor (with whom I nevertheless had occasionsl tets-a tet) on the old, original PDO (RIP).

ElZorro

Sam,

If you head over to TheHighRoad dot Org, you can find Standing Wolf there and PM him.

Woody

"Charge the Court, Congress, and the several state legislatures with what to do with all the violent criminals who cannot be trusted with arms. We law abiding citizens shouldn't be burdened with having to prove we are not one of the untrustworthy just because those in government don't want to prevent crime by keeping violent criminals locked up." B.E. Wood

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12