Attorney General Opinion?

Thread: Attorney General Opinion?

1. Attorney General Opinion?

I'm trying to figure out how to get the Attorney General to issue an opinion on something. I'm a reserve deputy for my county and I'm trying to figure out how they interpret the new revisions of HR218 with respect to reserve officers. I see nothing in the new legislation that wouldn't encompass reserves, but I'd like to have an official opinion on the matter. Also, what would be the difference in getting a state Attorney Generals's opinion and the USAG's opinion? I've contacted my state AG but they just sent me a bunch of previous opinions, one concerning retired officers under LEOSA which doesn't help me, and the rest were about reserve officers carrying on duty, the most recent of which was from 1983. So they're a bit out of date.

ezkl2230 Guest
    What I would do is this: I would compare the provisions of HR218 with those addressed in the previous opinions you were sent. Based on that comparison, if I found differences, I would send another request for clarification to the state AG, copied to the legislators from my state legislative district. If you still do not receive a response that addresses your concerns, I would get in touch directly with the senator/rep from my state voting district and ask them to get involved. May times they will forward constituent letters to the state AG's office for clarification, and the AG is more likely to respond to a more "official" request. One other avenue would be to ask your sheriff to contact the AG for clarification. A letter from the sheriff would also qualify as an official request to which the AG would be more likely to respond.

As for the USAG - their jurisdiction is FEDERAL, not State. I would stay as far away from them as possible.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    What I would do is this: I would compare the provisions of HR218 with those addressed in the previous opinions you were sent. Based on that comparison, if I found differences, I would send another request for clarification to the state AG, copied to the legislators from my state legislative district. If you still do not receive a response that addresses your concerns, I would get in touch directly with the senator/rep from my state voting district and ask them to get involved. May times they will forward constituent letters to the state AG's office for clarification, and the AG is more likely to respond to a more "official" request. One other avenue would be to ask your sheriff to contact the AG for clarification. A letter from the sheriff would also qualify as an official request to which the AG would be more likely to respond.

As for the USAG - their jurisdiction is FEDERAL, not State. I would stay as far away from them as possible.
    HR218 is a federal law though. That's what I'm asking in part is, even if I get an opinion from my state AG and he tells me that yes he interprets reserves to be encompassed within HR218, what relevance is that going to bear if I'm in, say, Illinois or New Jersey? Their AG may interpret it differently. If I were to get arrested for carrying a gun in a state that I'm not supposed to be, can I fall back on my state's AG and say "well he said I could!"? I would think you would want a federal AG to interpret a federal law. Which means that if I do need to go that route, I'm pretty much screwed. Cause Eric Holder probably doesn't even want cops to have guns if the truth be told, let alone a part timer or off duty cop. So he's probably going to interpret it as anti-gun as he possibly can.