Gonzaga University students could face expulsion for gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Gonzaga University students could face expulsion for gun

  1. #1

    Angry Gonzaga University students could face expulsion for gun

    SPOKANE, Wash.-- Two Gonzaga University students could be expelled for using a gun to protect themselves at their University owned apartment.

    GU leaders said the students violated a policy all students show know about when living in a school owned apartment.


    Seniors Erik Fagan and Dainel McIntosh felt they needed to protect themselves in late October when a convicted felon came to their door asking for money. Fagan said he yelled for his roommate after trying to get the man to leave. McIntosh came down with his gun, which he has a concealed weapons permit for according to Fagan. The roommates said McIntosh scared the man off by flashing the gun.



    Gonzaga University students could face expulsion for gun | NWCN.com Washington - Oregon - Idaho



    I agree with the students.



    Cnon

  2.   
  3. So, they brandished a weapon they knew they weren’t supposed to have and it’s somehow the university’s fault?
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,004
    Hate to say, but the students were in the wrong. This is a private university with there own rules. The students most likely had to sign some sort of an agreement to adhere to campus regulations when they got the apartment on campus property. It is supposedly stated in the college hand book that guns are not allowed on campus property. The students broke the rules and will suffer the consequences of the disciplinary action.

    This statement is not to say I agree with the rules or the ruling, however.

    I also find disturbing that the campus rent-a-cops confiscated the private property of the students and have not yet returned it to the students.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

  5. #4

    Exclamation However, were they just supposed to call the cops?????!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Hate to say, but the students were in the wrong. This is a private university with there own rules. The students most likely had to sign some sort of an agreement to adhere to campus regulations when they got the apartment on campus property. It is supposedly stated in the college hand book that guns are not allowed on campus property. The students broke the rules and will suffer the consequences of the disciplinary action.

    This statement is not to say I agree with the rules or the ruling, however.

    I also find disturbing that the campus rent-a-cops confiscated the private property of the students and have not yet returned it to the students.

    Yes, their guns should be returned.


    However, were they just supposed to call the cops and hope and pray they make it in time?



    What ever happened to taking responsibility for yourself in these situations????!!!


    That just goes out the window just because you sign a lease??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the blank is that about???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




    Cnon

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Cnon View Post



    What ever happened to taking responsibility for yourself in these situations????!!!

    That just goes out the window just because you sign a lease??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the blank is that about???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




    Cnon
    What ever happened to standing by the terms of an agreement that you willingly signed?

    Gonzaga has the right to set the rules on their property. The students agreed to be bound by those rules when they signed the lease. They knowingly broke those rules when they brought their guns to on campus housing and I’m going to bet they knew that if they were caught they risked expulsion.

    If you don’t agree with the rules, don’t agree to live by them
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north east Iowa
    Posts
    1,250
    Unfortunately, most colleges and universities in the country have the same rules about firearms on campus. I don't like the rules that create another gun free killing zone; but the colleges and in many cases the state have the right to set rules for students. No student is forced to attend any particular school. In fact with the present economic climate I believe that many students shouldn't attend college. Even though I have advanced degrees, I did well in occupations (agriculture and land investments) that required no degrees.

    In Iowa "no guns" signs do not have force of law, except on federal property, government buildings, or in any school, private or public. Even in private businesses where the signs do not have the force of law, I respect them. A business that doesn't allow me to carry, evidently, doesn't want my business or money. In the area in which I live there are virtually no private businesses which do not permit concealed carry.

  8. #7
    While the college has these rules I must ask this question. Would it have been better if these students had been killed by the BG? The students then would have OBEYED the law and rules. Perhaps these students should have had a copy of the rules and brandished them to the BG! THAT would have showed him!

    It is MVHO that everyone has the right to protect themselves from harm!!! When faced with obeying the letter of the rules and law or protecting myself and/or my family I will break any and all rules and laws. Laws really do not protect anyone. If that were the case then instead of everyone carrying a firearm we could just carry a law book. Then when a BG showed up we could just hold up the law book and we would be safe!!

  9. Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    While the college has these rules I must ask this question. Would it have been better if these students had been killed by the BG? The students then would have OBEYED the law and rules. Perhaps these students should have had a copy of the rules and brandished them to the BG! THAT would have showed him!

    It is MVHO that everyone has the right to protect themselves from harm!!! When faced with obeying the letter of the rules and law or protecting myself and/or my family I will break any and all rules and laws. Laws really do not protect anyone. If that were the case then instead of everyone carrying a firearm we could just carry a law book. Then when a BG showed up we could just hold up the law book and we would be safe!!
    Do you really think two presumably healthy college age males needed a gun to run off 1 guy?
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    Do you really think two presumably healthy college age males needed a gun to run off 1 guy?
    I don't know and neither do you. I wonder what you would do if this happened to you. I have found that people like you like to tell others how they should act BUT you do not walk your talk when the same thing happens to you.

    Hey gang, I believe we have another troll!

  11. Not a 2a issue, they were not charged with a crime for exercising their rights and it likely did save them from harm and was the right thing to do. That said they face expulsion and eviction as a result of violating rules of a lease they willingly signed and code of conduct of a school they willingly attended. They do not have a right to attend that school nordo they have a right to live in university housing so no rights are being violated.

    Just because you have a right or even a moral obligation to do something does not mean there will not be consequences. Theyre being punished not for exercising their rights but for making the decision to attend an institution that does not respect those rights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast