Would you ban guns or other arms anywhere? And, if so, what kinds? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you ban guns or other arms anywhere? And, if so, what kinds?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The depressurization theory is a myth. There is a hole on the top of the plane that is part of the system that regulates the pressure inside of the plane. They tried it on "Mythbusters" and couldn't make the plane depressurize due to a bullet hole. I don't know of any cases where a bullet has caused a plane to rip apart and depressurize in flight. Here's an article with more information: Can a bullet bring down an airliner?

gf
    Nevertheless, for that very reason, Federal Air Marshals must meet higher handgun proficiency standards than just about any other law enforcement officer anywhere.

I'm with you guys, interesting question to post for your first post. Hopefully we will hear a little more from Boomchick.

All I'll say at this point is this:
    We already have many "Gun Free" Zones and we've seen how well they have stop mass shooting from happening.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

4. Who is BoomChick, and why am I here?

Who I am. Well, I'm not sure how to answer that, but I hope the following helps.
    I am a gun-loving, dog-loving, heterosexual, Christian, Georgia peach, who used to hack computers for money, but returned to college instead. I have a .45 USP-C, a CZ-52, and an AK-47. Not exactly a collection, but I love them all for different reasons. I have a carry permit and like Galco holsters. About 5'1", brown hair. . . Don't know my blood type. . . *wink*

It was not my intention to ask a loaded question. There's no intent to bait anyone, but looking back I can see how I was misinterpreted. I'm a little curious as to why some folks here are unwilling to give their opinion to a stranger. But, I hope to not be a stranger for long!

I'm trying to figure out where my own boundaries are and wanted to interact with some folks who wouldn't bore me with the "people shouldn't have guns in the first place" argument. It often helps me to hear the reasons other people believe what they do when I'm trying to nail down a personal rationale. I'm thinking this is a good place for that, but my apologies for not following protocol.
    I can work on that.

I often wonder about the term "arms" and what we, as a nation, should take that to mean.

It's my temptation to think that "arms" means "arms", not just small arms. And that prohibiting people from taking their weapons to certain places is an infringement, plain and simple. But, I'm worried I'm taking it too far. I want help thinking this through.

I did search the forum, but didn't find much on this topic directly -- most likely I'm searching poorly. Any help would be appreciated.

I thought the answer of "wherever cops are allowed to carry" was very interesting. It always upset me that I was supposed to disarm myself before entering the DMV -- where there is often no expectation of someone else providing for my well-being-- or any effort to make sure that everyone else is disarmed. And, I get uneasy when I'm legally supposed to depend solely on the police for protection. Most officers that I've met have been mighty fine people (blessed, I guess), but there's always one or two that might not have taken the job for the right reasons.

Anyway, time to stop rambling. I'm really looking forward to some more answers and forming my own personal philosophy regarding these questions.

I chose boomchick for several reasons. I like some things that go "boom", such as guns and certain computer programs. ;) And, I'm a chick -- as in female.

-BoomChick

I say for concealed carry, if you can pick it up...you should be able to own it and shoot it. So that puts weapons that can be mounted on gun boats and aircraft off my list.
    Rule #1 of CCW: Don't get made.

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    This is the first time on this forum that a first post made me un-easy. I unfortunatly would love to respond to this, but that post really gave me a weird feeling. Sorry.

You guys can flame me if need be.

It wasn't "just" the post that made me uneasy. It was the "totality" of the circumstances. I summed it up in my previous response.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Perhaps we should ban the 1st Amendment to keep people from asking dumb questions designed to bate people.
    I don't object to people asking "dumb" questions. What I don't like are folks who come to a group and attempt to prey on the less informed. Who knows what this person's intention is. Had she provided some background info on herself, maybe I would be a little more at ease.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I don't object to people asking "dumb" questions. What I don't like are folks who come to a group and attempt to prey on the less informed. Who knows what this person's intention is. Had she provided some background info on herself, maybe I would be a little more at ease.

gf
    Exactly. There are always those that want to try and start an argument with all the "what ifs".
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

OP=troll?

The depressurization theory is a myth. There is a hole on the top of the plane that is part of the system that regulates the pressure inside of the plane. They tried it on "Mythbusters" and couldn't make the plane depressurize due to a bullet hole. I don't know of any cases where a bullet has caused a plane to rip apart and depressurize in flight. Here's an article with more information: Can a bullet bring down an airliner?

gf
    A single hole through the skin may not do anything (although I wouldn't want to try), but it could make a much bigger hole in a window. You also don't want to end up hitting something vital, like wiring for control surfaces or an O2 tank, which is possible with FMJ rounds.

I've actually never seen a movie where cabin depressurization occurred due to flying bullets; I had made the assumption based on the use of Glasers by air marshals. Maybe I don't watch enough movies.

gf
    If an obvious hippie came up to you and started asking questions, would you hesitate to give him or her your honest opinion?

I'd tell an Obama hippie communist the same thing I'd tell Charlton Heston's ghost - firearm ownership is a human right, and anyone not limited by mental illness or a history of violent felonies should be able to reserve the right to exercise it to an absolute degree - except for slight adjustments in specific circumstances like air and spacecraft, where I don't want FMJ rounds flying through equipment critical to my getting back on the ground safely.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast