Would you ban guns or other arms anywhere? And, if so, what kinds? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you ban guns or other arms anywhere? And, if so, what kinds?

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChick View Post
    I'm trying to think of a scenario where I'd want to just incapacitate someone. . . . Taser, etc. doesn't seem appropriate for any of the ones I can think of, but maybe I'm being naive. Can you give me an example situation for that?

I've always been a bit biased against Taser myself. But I'm open to hearing why you like them.

A good example would be the state of NV. If you don't have a CC permit/license, you're not allowed to carry a firearm. If you feel the need to protect yourself, this leaves the option of a Taser gun. As long as you're 18+, you're allowed to carry a Taser. Concealed or otherwise, you will have it available should the need arise. Take it that it's not as effective as a firearm, but it sure beats having nothing at all.

Another good example would be in a school zone. Many states prohibit firearms carry in a school zone. If you work in a school and feel the need to have some level of protection, this would be a good option. Again, far limited effectiveness compared to a firearm, yet far better than nothing at all.

Keep in mind that the use of a Taser is to provide the user the opportunity to either 1) Subdue a subject (as in the use by LE) or 2) Allow the user some timne to get away from an attacker (as in civilian use).

A Taser is a great piece of equipment, but keep in mind, like anything, requires proper training. Aiming a Taser is a little different from a firearm, and can be tricky under stress. Practice and proper training should be a requirement.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    A good example would be the state of NV. If you don't have a CC permit/license, you're not allowed to carry a firearm. If you feel the need to protect yourself, this leaves the option of a Taser gun. As long as you're 18+, you're allowed to carry a Taser. Concealed or otherwise, you will have it available should the need arise. Take it that it's not as effective as a firearm, but it sure beats having nothing at all.
    Not quite, our CCW without a permit statute, NRS 202.350 is vague so it would be up to the responding LEO or DA to decide if tasers are included in our CCW statute. Then again our statutes leave a lot of ambiguity. Some would say by decide because of some of our legislators.

The operative phrase which is subject to broad interpretation is "Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon." A taser could be construed as a dangerous weapon. Would a LEO arrest you for carrying a taser for self defense in NV without a NV CFP? Probably not. But he can and leave it up to a DA or judge to decide. This is something that needs to be cleaned up in our CCW statutes.
    Another good example would be in a school zone. Many states prohibit firearms carry in a school zone. If you work in a school and feel the need to have some level of protection, this would be a good option. Again, far limited effectiveness compared to a firearm, yet far better than nothing at all.
    Nevada prohibits any device that discharges any metallic projectile in school zones per NRS 202.265 by the clause
    “Firearm” includes any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.
    Florida is the same way under FL Statute 790.06 (12). Any device which discharges a projectile is prohibited in a FL K-12 school, college or university.
    Keep in mind that the use of a Taser is to provide the user the opportunity to either 1) Subdue a subject (as in the use by LE) or 2) Allow the user some timne to get away from an attacker (as in civilian use).

A Taser is a great piece of equipment, but keep in mind, like anything, requires proper training. Aiming a Taser is a little different from a firearm, and can be tricky under stress. Practice and proper training should be a requirement.
    Yes they are, but in many states they are regulated as firearms because they discharge a projectile. Some shall issue States have banned them. WA State has several city codes that ban tasers.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Not quite, our CCW without a permit statute, NRS 202.350 is vague so it would be up to the responding LEO or DA to decide if tasers are included in our CCW statute. Then again our statutes leave a lot of ambiguity. Some would say by decide because of some of our legislators.

The operative phrase which is subject to broad interpretation is "Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon." A taser could be construed as a dangerous weapon. Would a LEO arrest you for carrying a taser for self defense in NV without a NV CFP? Probably not. But he can and leave it up to a DA or judge to decide. This is something that needs to be cleaned up in our CCW statutes.

Nevada prohibits any device that discharges any metallic projectile in school zones per NRS 202.265 by the clause
    “Firearm” includes any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.
    Florida is the same way under FL Statute 790.06 (12). Any device which discharges a projectile is prohibited in a FL K-12 school, college or university.

Yes they are, but in many states they are regulated as firearms because they discharge a projectile. Some shall issue States have banned them. WA State has several city codes that ban tasers.

Thanks for clearing that up. I took my NV CFP class back in late '06. Sounds like the instructor (also a LEO) provided some bad/inaccurate info.

PRHI prohibits civilian use of Taser and other "electronic guns". Now being that a "stun gun" doesn't fire a projectile, would it be permissible under the various statutes that you mentioned?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Thanks for clearing that up. I took my NV CFP class back in late '06. Sounds like the instructor (also a LEO) provided some bad/inaccurate info.

PRHI prohibits civilian use of Taser and other "electronic guns". Now being that a "stun gun" doesn't fire a projectile, would it be permissible under the various statutes that you mentioned?
    FL and NV prohibit the possession of devices that fire a projectile in a school zone.

A stun gun which requires physical contact with the subject are not prohibited in FL or NV. I have not checked other States as of yet.

It is also legal to carry OC spray in a Nevada school zone. I do it all the time. I've been in schools with my can of Fox Labs on my belt in the presence of CCSD, Henderson and LV Metro PD.

CS tear gas is regulated to some degree by NRS 202.370 to 202.440 inclusive. Your personal defense sprays containing tear gas or a tear gas/OC mix are fine. OC grenades and sprays are not regulated.

Also keep in mind that state preemption laws typically only apply to firearms. If I get around to it I'll research other preemption laws as well.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

6. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf

Thanks Glock Fan. I have to agree with you on these two very fine examples of possible situations -- regardless of their accuracy. And I can admit that I myself might be willing to carry one were I in one of these situations. However, I think that allowing a sort of half-solution can sometimes cause worse problems. For instance, some folks might be willing to compromise and accept not allowing firearms where I don't want to see any compromise. I want firearms to be allowed in schools -- especially since I'm a second time around student myself. Also, I think there are probably others like me who have a sort of emotional reaction and see using a taser as cruelty, where a gun might not be seen that way. Illogical, but that's how emotions are. Hopefully I won't be trounced too harshly for admitting that. . . .

Perhaps there are other methods to accomplish subduing a BG that might be better? I'm not a LEO, so LEO's please feel free to put me in my place. I want to know what you think about tasers.

Thanks again Glock Fan!
    Last edited by BoomChick; 10-03-2008 at 01:02 PM.

7. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    This thread gives me a bad bad feeling. Sorry. I probably should just keep my mouth shut.

Perhaps you should post what's on your mind because it's really hard to address whatever is bothering you if you don't post it.

Personally, I'd love to hear your opinion on the topic if you want to share.

-Boomchick

I will let the Constitution be my guide...

Since I can not read anything more into "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

I could not and would not ban ANY type, and or any class of firearm or weapon...

BAR NONE!

It does not say "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" EXCEPT...

Nor are there any other conditions where "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is not applicable in my view...

gf

Not true; in Nevada you can open carry without a CCW...

There are only two states in the U.S. that allow you to concealed carry without a permit; Alaska (Governor Palin Country!) and Vermont!

10. Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    I will let the Constitution be my guide...

Since I can not read anything more into "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

I could not and would not ban ANY type, and or any class of firearm or weapon...

BAR NONE!

It does not say "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" EXCEPT...

Nor are there any other conditions where "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is not applicable in my view...
    I very much respect this view, but I'm just not able to say this is what I really think. This is the most easily justifiable interpretation of the 2ond, and on some emotional level I'm probably a little ashamed of myself for not believing in it absolutely.

But in all honesty, I doubt the power of social pressure would keep folks like inmates in line if they were allowed to keep arms of their choosing in their cells, for example. I doubt the founding fathers would have been generous with giving arms to inmates either. I guess that's one of those rights I think people give up by committing crimes.

Don't get me wrong! Currently, I think there's only two places I would agree to bar weapons from, and that does not include places like the DMV or schools or parks or non-psychiatric hospitals or bars. Other than correctional facilities (and only for those being corrected) the only other place I can think of at this time is psychiatric hospitals. I would like to think that if I was admitted for attempted suicide, for example, that someone would disarm me!

I think folks like the good people on this forum shouldn't let differences like this keep us from working together to promote responsible firearms ownership and personal responsibility for defense, but I at least am really benefitting from hearing the different opinions.

Thank you for your passionate idealism and course-correcting view of the situation. Although I can't fully agree with you in practice, I like the philosophy behind what you're saying.

-Boomchick

Virginia Tech is a shining example of what happens because of "Kill for Free Zones and leave our kids and their teachers defenseless zones..." AKA: Gun Free School Zones...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast