A constitutional question - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A constitutional question

Unhappy Sargent Sig

Don't you mean SHE'S coming?
    BREAK BREAK--I have to go vomit!

I think that that losing the right to vote is a form of losing freedom of speech.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Hoplites1234 View Post
    Don't you mean SHE'S coming?
    BREAK BREAK--I have to go vomit!
    God help us!

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

I hope, AND pray that "she" never does arrive.

The sad thing about it all is, that even though I do not disagree w/ the fact that the felons lose certain priviledges, it still doesn't stop them. Take for instance dui's. i see firsthand the effects of multiple convictions, yet they still continue to drive, and drink, earning multiple convictions, and in some circumstances, what we refer to in OH as "family plates" - pumpkin orange liscence plates which allows the police the priviledge to pull you over at anytime for no reason.

Not that I disagree w/ either, but it just proves the point that the criminal-minded just do not care. If someone was not regarding the law when they broke it in the first place, what makes them ( the powers that be ) believe that they will uphold it after they have been caught?

Which is why I love the bumper sticker that states "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun."

As stated earlier, it is easier for certain people to hold onto certain beliefs that the people up above know what's best for us... (and in some cases they do), and will protect us while they can "deal with" losing certain rights/priviledges to protect the majority of society. In a perfect world, that would be fine. But, if these people would just realize the truth, I wonder what thier opinions would be then.

A thorough reading of the 2nd amendment simply says:

"A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'll be the first to say that I'm not comfortable with convicted felons being allowed to exercise this right, but 2A does not say that the right can be infringed on account of a prior felony conviction. Only with another constitutional amendment specifically saying that the right can be denied on account of a prior felony conviction can this be either legal or constitutionally justifiable. The same goes for denying the right to mentally ill people; I'm pretty sure that not very many people (myself included) are not fond of the idea of allowing schizophrenics and other wackos the right to own firearms, but until the constitution says they can't, then denying them the right is not constitutionally justifiable.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 10-17-2007 at 08:28 AM.

In many states, after serving the complete sentence including probation, a felon can regain most of the lost rights. The only one that stays is keeping a gun, they lose that for life in most instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. SIG View Post
    Unfortunately, the reality is, the sheep that comprise the majority in this nation will gladly give up their rights, their freedoms and will hurry to give them to the man who can make all their fears go away. His platform will be world peace and safety! Watch out... he's coming!
    Have you not noticed? He's been here for 7 years now.
    Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

-Mark Twain

In light of the foregoing...

http://www.jdpendry.com/

A worthwhile read...
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. SIG View Post
    I think I would have to say that an armed people cannot be tyrannized, they will not be easily dominated and they can oppose their government should their government try to take their freedom away!

Unfortunately, the reality is, the sheep that comprise the majority in this nation will gladly give up their rights, their freedoms and will hurry to give them to the man who can make all their fears go away. His platform will be world peace and safety! Watch out... he's coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by ishi View Post
    Have you not noticed? He's been here for 7 years now.

I think Sgt. SIG is refering to the one in Revelations. If so it my be sooner than we think.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I think Sgt. SIG is refering to the one in Revelations. If so it my be sooner than we think.

I agree wholeheartedly. Once again, the times are similar to Noah.

and .... as far as felons go. I had a friend years ago before he was married w/ child that was stooopid and got busted w/ cocaine. That's a felony. Mark did his time, cleaned up his act and became a solid, contributing factor in society.... as far as a "felon" could go. Mark was in his 40's when I met him, and that happenned when he was in his early 20's. All I am saying I guess is that there are some who do change, but have been marked for life. There should be some sort of review board for certain circumstances.

nuff ranting on my part for now... thanks, mot
    Last edited by mot mayhem; 10-17-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast