Ruger Mini-14 in massive caliber - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini-14 in massive caliber

I know of at least one guy here who owns a .51 caliber rifle. A couple of us saw what appeared to be a .50 BMG rifle at the local rifle range. Knowing that the.50 BMG was prohibited from being fired at the range, we chatted the guy up and he told us that it was a .51 caliber rifle. He handloads his ammo using .50 BMG brass and components. The barrel is stamped ".51 cal". After talking with the range master, he stated that there was nothing he could do as the rules were written to specifically state that the ".50 BMG" caliber was prohibited. Being that it's not a .50 BMG, it's allowed on the range. This is the same guy who owns a .408 Cheytac rifle. He paid almost 23K for the initial set up. I've been invited to shoot the Cheytac this week, just trying to find the time to get out to the range when he'll be there.

I'll post photos if I manage to get to the range and actually fire the two rifles.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    There's no such thing as a .53 caliber. I was poking fun at the ignorance of the media.

Speaking of stupid, I just noticed I had a "Beretta M5" all this time in my album. Now it's an M9. I have no idea how 9 = 5. Sometimes I amaze even myself.
    I wondered about that...hence, my comment. You just got ham-handed.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

If there's actually a .51 caliber out there, isn't it conceivable that there is a .53 caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    You know nobody on this site has a sense of humor Work on your sarcastic voice, toreskha.
    Well I decided screw it, I'll go with the 92FS thing. Next week maybe I'll change it again and then knock out a wall and install a garage door. And a boat lift. Yep, a balls-to-the-wall sailboat lift.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

If there's actually a .51 caliber out there, isn't it conceivable that there is a .53 caliber?
    It's conceivable...but if you google it, nothing comes up in that context. It seems like it would pop up somewhere if it did exist.

Maybe that's a good idea though...the gov't could put out an order for a .50 caliber rifle based on the Mini-14 components, just with a bigger receiver. The barrel, however, is for a .22. Then they could issue them to gang members as they leave prison and tell them that they're best used inside of crowded cars for drive-bys.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I'm not sure under current regulations, but a few years ago .577 and .600 Nitro Express rifles could still be ordered if you had a LOT of money. I know that existing rifles and ammo are still sold (I saw one in Phoenix Cabelas last summer--and Bass Pro here in Vegas occasionally has double rifles in express calibers)

Also, I believe you can still order single shots in some of the 19th centery (50-140 sharps for one) large bore cartridges.

I don't know the details regarding legality of these.
    Except in the People's Republic of California, the .50 limit on firearm calibers applies to handguns. Rifles can be manufactured in larger calibers. However, unless one is going on safari, the larger calibers have enough recoil to make them impractical. Try a google search for .577 T-Rex videos.

8. They do make it in 44 mag hell of a hog gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Except in the People's Republic of California, the .50 limit on firearm calibers applies to handguns. Rifles can be manufactured in larger calibers. However, unless one is going on safari, the larger calibers have enough recoil to make them impractical. Try a google search for .577 T-Rex videos.
    Are you saying that the wording of the law in PRCA only specifically prohibits .50 caliber guns, but not those in larger calibers? I have a hard time believing that.

wolfhunter Guest
    Are you saying that the wording of the law in PRCA only specifically prohibits .50 caliber guns, but not those in larger calibers? I have a hard time believing that.
    The California law is not only specific to .50 cal, it is specific to .50BMG! A .50 blackpowder is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    The California law is not only specific to .50 cal, it is specific to .50BMG! A .50 blackpowder is legal.
    So is the 510 DTC (some referred to it as the .50 DTC)
    .510 DTC EUROP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know, I know--it's Wikipedia, but...
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast