Some Still Don't Get It
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Still Don't Get It

Some Still Don't Get It

Even after the SCOTUS decision some still don't get it. This gentleman doesn't even understand it's a right to "bear" arms not "bare" arms.

Baring Arms Isn't Right - Opinion

You are right. He is clueless.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

"The founders of our nation lived during a completely different time and had lived in a different culture in different circumstances than we do today. Guns were a huge part of their lives. They carried rifles to hunt their food and to protect them from wild animals that could attack them. They defended themselves from native inhabitants of the Americas.

The times they lived in were treacherous, you fended for yourself in the wilderness. There weren't cities and developed areas everywhere; it was forests and plains. The need for weapons was obvious and it was that need that directly influenced the second amendment.

. . . This amendment should be more stringently interpreted to the means in which the founding fathers intended it to be. Many people and groups, such as the National Rifle Association, promote the use and ownership of firearms for protection and claim it is our Constitutional right. I say that once the option of using firearms is eliminated, we are ensured the right our forefathers gave us: protection."

Is this for real?? (Unfortunately, I already know the answer to that.)

First, the 2nd Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights that was insisted upon by the ANTI Federalists (those who were against a strong Federal government) to protect us from the GOVERNMENT becoming too powerful, not to protect us from beasts in the wilderness (although at times they are difficult to tell apart).

Second, beasts come in 2 legged and 4 legged varieties and those in the cities are just as dangerous if not more so than those in the wilderness.

Third, that ending sentence is just bizarre. Without firearms, we'll have protection??? BY WHOM??? I don't have my own personal cop to go everywhere with me, maybe this guy does . . .

I, for one, am going to fight for my right both to bare arms and to bear arms.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

6. Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    I, for one, am going to fight for my right both to bare arms and to bear arms.
    me too! lmao

Quote Originally Posted by mom of 3 angels View Post
    "The founders of our nation lived during a completely different time and had lived in a different culture in different circumstances than we do today. Guns were a huge part of their lives. They carried rifles to hunt their food and to protect them from wild animals that could attack them. They defended themselves from native inhabitants of the Americas.

The times they lived in were treacherous, you fended for yourself in the wilderness. There weren't cities and developed areas everywhere; it was forests and plains. The need for weapons was obvious and it was that need that directly influenced the second amendment.

. . . This amendment should be more stringently interpreted to the means in which the founding fathers intended it to be. Many people and groups, such as the National Rifle Association, promote the use and ownership of firearms for protection and claim it is our Constitutional right. I say that once the option of using firearms is eliminated, we are ensured the right our forefathers gave us: protection."

Is this for real?? (Unfortunately, I already know the answer to that.)

First, the 2nd Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights that was insisted upon by the ANTI Federalists (those who were against a strong Federal government) to protect us from the GOVERNMENT becoming too powerful, not to protect us from beasts in the wilderness (although at times they are difficult to tell apart).

Second, beasts come in 2 legged and 4 legged varieties and those in the cities are just as dangerous if not more so than those in the wilderness.

Third, that ending sentence is just bizarre. Without firearms, we'll have protection??? BY WHOM??? I don't have my own personal cop to go everywhere with me, maybe this guy does . . .

Very good points. I really got a charge out of this statement.
    The times they lived in were treacherous

Wander around some of the city streets in America today with out a firearm and you will soon find out what treacherous is.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

8. I had to reply to this nonesense. I posted this in the comment section, and I'm looking into how I can get it actually submitted for publication.

I'll address this point by point.

1) The drafters of the Bill of Rights did not bestow upon us any rights. They merely recognized the rights given to all men and women at the moment of their creation. The Bill of Rights exists to prevent the Government from usurping those rights, not to convey them to the people.

2) The right to bear arms does not mean that you have the right to own arms. It means that you have the right to carry them. "The right to KEEP and BEAR arms..."

3) You are exactly right, they lived in different times and a different culture. Theirs was a culture of personal responsibility. People did not sit around and wait for the government to save them. Well, some of us today still feel responsible for ourselves, so we KEEP and BEAR arms to provide our own security. I am the only one responsible for guaranteeing my safety.

4) The fact that you think that today's world is less treacherous than the years past merely confirms that neither you nor anyone close to you has ever been the victim of violent crime. It also confirms that while you may write an opinion in the newspaper, you yourself do not read that selfsame paper.

5) What we need to realize is that the Constitution is written to prevent the abuse of our rights...by the government. The Constitution is not written to constrain in any way the rights of the individual-it is written to constrain the rights and powers of the government.

6) According to the men who wrote the Constitution, the milita consisted of all men of military age. So who had the right to KEEP and BEAR arms? That would be everyone.

7) Every society that has allowed the weapons to be concentrated in the hands of the all knowing government (police and military) has suffered from either higher crime rates than we are now experiencing in the US, an absolute tyranny by that same government, or both. It is a fact that when you ban guns, only criminals have them; those criminals may be of the garden variety or they may be hiding behind their office, but they are still criminals.

8) Show me where in the Constitution it says that all Americans have the right to be protected? You have all of the rights of any individual. Self determination, speech, religion. The right implicit in the Second Amendment is that YOU have the right to protect YOURSELF...but you also have the responsibility to protect yourself.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by joespahr View Post
    I had to reply to this nonesense. I posted this in the comment section, and I'm looking into how I can get it actually submitted for publication.

I'll address this point by point.

1) The drafters of the Bill of Rights did not bestow upon us any rights. They merely recognized the rights given to all men and women at the moment of their creation. The Bill of Rights exists to prevent the Government from usurping those rights, not to convey them to the people.

2) The right to bear arms does not mean that you have the right to own arms. It means that you have the right to carry them. "The right to KEEP and BEAR arms..."

3) You are exactly right, they lived in different times and a different culture. Theirs was a culture of personal responsibility. People did not sit around and wait for the government to save them. Well, some of us today still feel responsible for ourselves, so we KEEP and BEAR arms to provide our own security. I am the only one responsible for guaranteeing my safety.

4) The fact that you think that today's world is less treacherous than the years past merely confirms that neither you nor anyone close to you has ever been the victim of violent crime. It also confirms that while you may write an opinion in the newspaper, you yourself do not read that selfsame paper.

5) What we need to realize is that the Constitution is written to prevent the abuse of our rights...by the government. The Constitution is not written to constrain in any way the rights of the individual-it is written to constrain the rights and powers of the government.

6) According to the men who wrote the Constitution, the milita consisted of all men of military age. So who had the right to KEEP and BEAR arms? That would be everyone.

7) Every society that has allowed the weapons to be concentrated in the hands of the all knowing government (police and military) has suffered from either higher crime rates than we are now experiencing in the US, an absolute tyranny by that same government, or both. It is a fact that when you ban guns, only criminals have them; those criminals may be of the garden variety or they may be hiding behind their office, but they are still criminals.

8) Show me where in the Constitution it says that all Americans have the right to be protected? You have all of the rights of any individual. Self determination, speech, religion. The right implicit in the Second Amendment is that YOU have the right to protect YOURSELF...but you also have the responsibility to protect yourself.
    Sounds good. Keep us posted on the response you get.

Well I guess when danny rolliuns killed my kin he was not a wild animal running around. Time is still the same the only thing changed is the liberal judges.

"...They defended themselves from native inhabitants of the Americas..."

Of course, to him it would be perfectly logical to have firearms to defend against those from whom we are forcing off the land and their much less sophisticated weapons.

Sort of the logic one German leader took in his trek across a continent.

But defending oneself against those who whole purpose is to cause damage to you ... somehow not logical.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast