Orange County Sheriff Revoking CCW Permits - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Orange County Sheriff Revoking CCW Permits

I'm with you. I think discussing the future is much more important than arguing over proven facts of the past. Thanks for bringing this discussion back into focus.
    Husky Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Husky Girl View Post
    I'm with you. I think discussing the future is much more important than arguing over proven facts of the past. Thanks for bringing this discussion back into focus.
    Uh-hum... STILL UNPROVEN ACCORDING TO THE U.S. SUPREME COURT...

Docket for 08-570

Obama Crimes

YouTube - Obama Citizenship: I Invented The Internet (Ep. 6: October Surprise)

Update on Orange County Sheriff (the original post here):

Orange County sheriff's crackdown on gun permits comes under fire - Los Angeles Times

Quote Originally Posted by Husky Girl View Post
    Actually, he was born in Hawaii.

I handled the actual birth certificate on file at the State Dept. of Health. There were several blank spaces on the original birth certificate. Name of hospital was missing, doctor's name was missing and doctor's signature was missing. I have never seen a birth certificate in this condition except in the case of children born abroad to at least one American parent, and the birth was reported upon their return to Hawaii.

Be very careful what you see in the media. They don't always report the "whole" truth.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

For those interested in an update to the original post, here's an excerpt:

Orange County sheriff's crackdown on gun permits comes under fire
    Gun-rights advocates and some permit holders say the review of concealed weapons permits violates the 2nd Amendment. Sheriff Sandra Hutchens is surprised by the reaction.
    By Stuart Pfeifer
    November 12, 2008
    In her first five months in office, newly appointed Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens has brought in a new management team, fired deputies accused of misconduct and tried to distance the department from the legacy of her indicted predecessor, Michael S. Carona.

But the most controversy she has generated has been her decision to review the concealed weapons permits issued by Carona.

Hutchens said she was concerned that more than 1,100 people held concealed carry permits issued by the former sheriff -- nearly three times the number of permits issued in Los Angeles County. She assigned a lieutenant to review each concealed weapons permit to determine whether the holder had a valid reason for carrying a weapon in public and whether these were people whose safety was at risk.

In the months that followed, the department sent 422 letters to permit holders, warning them that they could lose their licenses unless they could provide the department with valid reasons for having them.

The crackdown has infuriated gun-rights advocates and some permit holders, who accuse Hutchens of violating their 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. They have addressed the county Board of Supervisors, demanding intervention, and have threatened to back an opponent to challenge Hutchens' reelection in 2010.

gpbarth Guest
    In case you don't think gun confiscations could take place in the U.S., first look to Australia. Next, look to the woman who instigated that confiscation in Australia - she in now in the U.S. instigating the same crap, courtesy of George Soros. Remember the Milliom Mom March? Guess who led it?

NOw, Obama was elected by a majority. How could that be? If they could get a majority to vote for this guy, think what a few powerful people could do to convince this country that we shouldn't have guns?

Don't get complacent, guys! History is full of people who "didn't think it could happen to them," and as we all know, those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    The new Orange County, California sheriff has started revoking CCW permits. When will they learn?

News: Sheriff begins taking away concealed weapons permits | permits, carona, concealed, county, department - OCRegister.com
    I have a feeling that with our new President we will begin to see a lot of local communities beginning to follow suite. States like IL, New York, and of course Calif. have so far ignored the recent Supreme Court ruling regarding Washington, DC's ban on carrying weapons and will continue to do so. The court left a loop hole (allowing states to set their own standards to deny) and this will become the standard way to deny a permit (like no one under the age of 65, or over the age of 65). There is only one thing that politicians fear, a grassroots effort to get them out of office (or not reelected).

When I applied for my permit to carry (back in 1986) in Alabama i simply entered "self Defense" as to why I needed to carry. That should become the standard. There are evil people in this world. Our police are designed to investigate crime, not prevent it.

Wake up America! Next they will come for you. I just posted on a similar topic on my blog regarding how Australia and Great Briton lost their 'right' to own, never mind carry. JOHNMATYI.COM: Silence can mean Defeat: (Great Briton and Australia): Anti-Gun forces will move quickly if we remain quiet. Every time we defeat gun ban legislation, four more will be added.

News: Supervisors criticize sheriff over weapons permits | hutchens, gun, supervisors, permits, law - OCRegister.com

Tuesday, November 18, 2008
    Supervisors criticize sheriff over weapons permits
    More than 100 protesters show up at county board meeting to show anger over reversal of Carona gun policy.
    By NORBERTO SANTANA Jr.
    The Orange County Register
    Comments 104 | Recommend 71

County supervisors, Sheriff Sandra Hutchens and hundreds of gun activists engaged Tuesday in a Wild West-style shootout over restrictive concealed gun policies Hutchens has introduced during her first six months in office.

After hearing more than 80 speakers present compelling stories of threats and safety concerns, supervisors unanimously adopted a resolution calling on Hutchens to ease her review of concealed weapons permits and broaden the reasons why a member of the public could carry a concealed handgun.

Hutchens – who sat through the entire eight-hour hearing – was gracious about the debate afterward saying, “I was happy to hear what the issues are,” and called the session a “respectful debate.”

It might have been respectful. But it was also forceful.

“You’re being extremely restrictive,” said county Supervisor Pat Bates.

Hutchens replied, “I do not view my policy to be restrictive,” which triggered massive laughter from the audience.

The hearing was also precedent-setting. No one could remember an Orange County sheriff sitting through such aggressive questioning by county supervisors - and with a smile.

County Supervisors’ Chairman John Moorlach also set an ironic precedent with his chief of staff joining the county counsel in a briefing that angered several supervisors. While Moorlach told the crowd that he was a proponent of concealed weapons, his staff member was arguing supervisors should not even pass a resolution telling the sheriff what to do.

In the end, that’s just what they did.

However, Hutchens noted that the resolution adopted by supervisors “isn’t far from what I’m implementing.”

She also said she would consider how to handle the 423 revocation letters that she has issued after hearing concerns that a revocation would end up in people’s case files with the Department of Justice. “I may take a look at that,” she said after the hearing.

According to Hutchens, 1,069 concealed weapons permits have been reviewed and 646 have remained untouched. A total of 423 revocation letters have been sent out advising residents that they need to provide more proof of their need for carrying a concealed handgun. Hutchens also noted that since she took office, 64 applications have been received and 32 approved.

Hutchens – who was appointed by county supervisors in June after former Sheriff Mike Carona resigned in the wake of a federal indictment – began reviewing the concealed weapons permits issued by Carona after hearing of several irregularities in the process.

“When you come behind an indicted sheriff, it’s prudent to look at everything,” she said.

Federal officials noted a questionable permit granted to a Carona contributor in their indictment and former Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl has testified in Carona’s trial that concealed weapons permits and badges were handed out to contributors. Indeed, the Orange County Register did find 95 instances in which Carona campaign donors – who gave more than $68,000 - received gun permits.

Under California state law, sheriffs are granted wide discretion on setting policies that define the “good cause” needed to carry a concealed weapon. Carona was known in the gun community for his liberal interpretation of the standard. In fact, many rural counties do grant many more licenses than sheriffs in urban areas.

But Hutchens argues that wide discretion is misleading. She sees the state law as very clear. Concealed weapons permits are an exception. And there is a guideline for granting the permits, even though it’s only a 1977 attorney general's letter. But without any kind of regulatory body to enforce standards, Hutchens says all of California’s 58 Sheriff’s are on “the honor system.” And she believes in enforcing the spirit of the law, even when no one is looking.

“Just as I expect my deputies to follow the intent of the law, especially when no one is looking,” Hutchens told supervisors on Tuesday.

In October, Hutchens announced her new policy noting that specific proof of threats or workplace needs would be required, in addition to possible psychological and medical checks. Later that month, county supervisors questioned her and she made a misstep by saying none had yet to be revoked. She forgot to add that hundreds of residents were receiving letters advising them that their licenses would be revoked in 30 days without further good cause information.

The revisions triggered an avalanche of activist ire. And county supervisors got an earful. Soon, they were asking aggressive questions using information provided by activists.

“You have massive confusion in this state over good cause,” said Ed Worley, a California state liaison for the National Rifle Association. Worley said he was inundated by messages from Orange County members voicing concerns that concealed weapons permits were being denied. Other NRA officials at Tuesday’s meeting indicated they were monitoring the events and considering whether to become more involved in fundraising for local elections based on the decisions made.

Most of the speakers at the podium before supervisors told stories of being affected by crime, or having professions such as pilots that made them vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

Richard Gilbert, 44, of Buena Park, told supervisors he wanted to apply for a permit because his disability – spina bifida – made it impossible for him to run away from an attacker. After reading stories of random violence, he asked how people could even show credible threats.

“Criminals don’t just attack some random class of people,” he said.

Jack Sobelman, 58, of Costa Mesa, told supervisors his concealed weapon permit had been revoked despite being “a political nobody.”

Sobelman said as a private pilot, he flew many dignitaries around and could be under threat from terrorists looking to hijack a small plane. He said a friend with similar cause had not had his license revoked.

“There’s no down side to having good, honest, competent people having a CCW,” Sobleman said.

However, Mary and Charles Blek – who lost their son to gun violence – made a point of showing up to the hearing so county supervisors would hear a different point of view on guns.

“The presence of a gun can escalate situations,” Blek said, adding that she and others who were not present approved of Hutchens policy.

“For example, do you want to be at a Ducks game, surrounded by tons of beer and people carrying concealed weapons,” asked Mary Blek.

She told supervisors that while she and her husband respected the views and passion of the audience, they are a small, vocal and organized minority in Orange County.

Contact the writer: 714-796-2221 or [email protected]
    "A kind word only goes so far, a kind word and a gun goes a lot further" 1924
    Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! ® Copyrighted 1996
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by gpbarth View Post
    In case you don't think gun confiscations could take place in the U.S., first look to Australia. Next, look to the woman who instigated that confiscation in Australia - she in now in the U.S. instigating the same crap, courtesy of George Soros. Remember the Milliom Mom March? Guess who led it?

NOw, Obama was elected by a majority. How could that be? If they could get a majority to vote for this guy, think what a few powerful people could do to convince this country that we shouldn't have guns?

Don't get complacent, guys! History is full of people who "didn't think it could happen to them," and as we all know, those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.
    And to those of you who think it can happen here, I have five words for you:

From my cold dead hands.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast