Concealed Carry on Campus and Ignorance - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry on Campus and Ignorance

Hey now - not all liberals hate guns... at least I don't. I like to think I'm pretty logical too, although I am emotional about my beliefs. Apparently getting really angry when I'm told I can't protect myself on my college campus is "too emotional'?
    Husky Girl

In Washington state there is no law prohibiting concealed carry on college campuses, only university policy. I could be expelled for carrying on campus (if I did), but thankfully not fined or thrown in jail. Too bad expulsion would mean the end of my career aspirations, as I am in the only program in the state.
    Husky Girl

I know the University of Washington Police Department and Washington State University Police Department are normal police departments, and their officers go through the same academy as any other LEO in the state. UWPD and WSUPD officers have the same Washington State Commission that all other Washington LEOs have.

I'm willing to bet that at UGA, the LEOs were regular officers, there just isn't a law against carrying on campus and university policy doesn't apply to people who don't go to school/work there. I know in Washington, a guest on campus can carry, but employees/students can be fired/expelled.
    Husky Girl

Exclamation Not all liberals hate guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky Girl View Post
    Hey now - not all liberals hate guns... at least I don't. I like to think I'm pretty logical too, although I am emotional about my beliefs. Apparently getting really angry when I'm told I can't protect myself on my college campus is "too emotional'?
    Hi Husky Girl, glad to have you onboard. I agree, not all liberals hate guns. I, too, am a liberal and I love my firearms. I told that to someone on here and they told me I must NOT be a liberal. Well, I am a liberal and I don't hate my guns. Between you and me we can bust up that false notion! Y'know, if a man were to get angry when told he can't protect himself on his college campus, I bet ya 100 to 1 he wouldn't be called emotional! Now, why is that? Duh!

Welcome to USACarry!

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Hi Husky Girl, glad to have you onboard. I agree, not all liberals hate guns. I, too, am a liberal and I love my firearms. I told that to someone on here and they told me I must NOT be a liberal. Well, I am a liberal and I don't hate my guns. Between you and me we can bust up that false notion! Y'know, if a man were to get angry when told he can't protect himself on his college campus, I bet ya 100 to 1 he wouldn't be called emotional! Now, why is that? Duh!

Welcome to USACarry!
    Not calling our response emotional would have to do with rants and books claiming that men either aren't in touch with their emotions, keep them pent up, or some similar claim.

Unfortunately, I don't think most men worry about protecting themselves as much as most women do. Personally, I consider it a fact of life that I am generally a more convienent victim than my boyfriend (how is many inches taller and many pounds heavier than me, and in great shape). I believe part of the reason that students are not allowed to carry on most college campuses is because the majority of crime victims on capus are female, while the majority of gun-owners are male. Imagine if men were attacked on campus with the same frequency as women - there would be thousands of male gun-owners demanding that they be allowed to carry their weapons. Conversely, imagine if as many women owned guns as men - there would be thousands of female gun-owners demanding to be allowed to carry. We would have "Night Out at The Gun Range" instead of "Night Out Against Crime." If only we could convince more women that carrying a gun is a more effective way to stop violence against women than a candlelight vigil.

In defense of the men, I feel I should point out that many of my male collegues in law enforcement were just as angry as I was when they found out I couldn't carry on campus. You should have heard the rants coming from some of them!
    Husky Girl

wolfhunter Guest
    HG- I think you're right. The BG is likely to assault my 5'4" 120+ pound wife than he is to attack poor little 6' 220 pound me. Although the cane may cause him to think I'm helpless rather than armed?

The cane might make a difference... or the BG might just realize that you have something to hit him with!
    Husky Girl

Obama: ...I am
    consistently on record and will
    continue to be on record as opposing
    concealed carry.
    Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast