This is a year old but new to me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is a year old but new to me!

Angry Army General tramples constitutional rights of soldiers

Exclamation An army general in AK took away constitutional rights

This actually started in 2006 and I hoped the policy would go away. The CC for Ft wainwright will not rescind this edict and so it is new to me all over again. I am really pissed off about this and am working on a dang good mad!
    Alaska General bans military personel from carrying OFF POST ,OFF DUTY
    http://www.usarak.army.mil/policies/...EMENT%2020.pdf

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 4:32:39 PM by vrwc0915

APVR-RUPM DEPARTMENT THE ARMY HEADQUARTERS, ARMY ALASKA 724 SERVICE LOOP FORT RICHARDSON, ALASKA 99505-5000 21 FEB 06 MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION SUBJECT: Concealed Weapons Policy (CG/CofS Policy #0-20) 1. Carrying concealed deadly weapons by USARAK Soldiers represents a significant risk to the safety and welfare of this command. Accordingly, all Soldiers assigned or attached to USARAK are prohibited from carrying a concealed deadly weapon in public places off of all USARAK posts. All persons are prohibited from carrying concealed deadly weapons on USARAK posts IAW USARAK Regulation 190-1

I wrote my congressman, senator and the governor to no avail. The US Army IG would not take any action either. This guy is the exact model of how not to be a good commander and why a lot of us are so pissed off.
    Last edited by festus; 10-29-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

The Commander can set any rules he wants. You have no implied rights while in the military and some Constitutional rights are not granted. The term GI is just what it means...Government Issue.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    The Commander can set any rules he wants. You have no implied rights while in the military and some Constitutional rights are not granted. The term GI is just what it means...Government Issue.

Spot on!

He is absolutely correct, your military contract actually states it if you read ALL the print in detail!
    Springfield Loaded Custom Champion
    RIA 1911A1 Duo-Tone Tactical
    XD40 Sub-Compact
    Ruger 22/45
    Browning Baby 6.35mm
    Ruger K10/22
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty & The Pursuit Of Those Against It

I know what it says...

Quote Originally Posted by MP3Mogul View Post
    Spot on!

He is absolutely correct, your military contract actually states it if you read ALL the print in detail!
    I did my time...this just pisses me off
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I kinda understand. My brother-in-law is stationed up there. He says that there alcoholism rate is extremely high among soldiers. I guess the commander thinks that if something were to happen to a ccw soldier there might be more restrictions to the state on gun control. This it just a thought. IMO all that the people have to do in Alaska in the winter is drink anyway. We went up to visit my sister in Fairbanks two summers ago and there's Bars everywhere. I guess that's one way to deal with the darkness.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by MP3Mogul View Post
    Spot on!

That doesn't make it suck any less, though.

boyzoi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    this has a direct connect to the thread I started for the military folks......the first thing you do is swear to protect the Constitution......from foriegn and domestic enemies.
    you cant do that if youve given up any of your Constitutional rights, government issue or not.
    so where does it leave you? youre going to do what you first gave your word to do or?????

Unacceptable! I'm wondering if they would attempt to charge me if I were caught legally "carrying" while off-post and off-duty. That Ehren Watada guy got off, and he disobeyed a direct order, missed movement, and acted very poorly.

I think it's a lawful order, but one that's not enforceable.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Exclamation It is only enforceable in the ucmj

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Unacceptable! I'm wondering if they would attempt to charge me if I were caught legally "carrying" while off-post and off-duty. That Ehren Watada guy got off, and he disobeyed a direct order, missed movement, and acted very poorly.

I think it's a lawful order, but one that's not enforceable.

gf

It can only be enforced under the UCMJ

What started the whole thing was an off duty soldier shot a BG at a club in Fairbanks in 2006. The BG was a known good scumbag with a civil arrest and conviction history...BUT it shed some really bad light on the Army and the general took it to the nines with his edict. The USAF personnel in the same AO still have all their rights.

Here is where it sucks most. In AK while hunting you keep your backup gun out of the weather to insure it works if you need to repel a bear while quatering up the moose you just downed.

Under his "orders" if a soldier follows it to the letter...he could get hurt or killed in a bear attack situation in the woods while hunting.

One of the dudes I worked with owes his life to a .454 Casull in just such a scenario.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    It can only be enforced under the UCMJ

What started the whole thing was an off duty soldier shot a BG at a club in Fairbanks in 2006. The BG was a known good scumbag with a civil arrest and conviction history...BUT it shed some really bad light on the Army and the general took it to the nines with his edict. The USAF personnel in the same AO still have all their rights.

Here is where it sucks most. In AK while hunting you keep your backup gun out of the weather to insure it works if you need to repel a bear while quatering up the moose you just downed.

Under his "orders" if a soldier follows it to the letter...he could get hurt or killed in a bear attack situation in the woods while hunting.

One of the dudes I worked with owes his life to a .454 Casull in just such a scenario.

This is where a good attorney and different interpretations of the law come in handy. I would carry my sidearm while hunting. Concealed or otherwise, it's a vital piece of equipment for the hunt. Shouldn't be too difficult for an experienced attorney to have the charges disposed of in the event that I was even charged.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast