Congress and 2 month vacation!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Congress and 2 month vacation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Great point toreskha. Were you/are you an elected official? It would be nice to get the opinion of an elected official on many issues here on USA Carry.
    I have run for low-level offices three times, and won once. I'm trying to get appointed to the local Soil & Water Board soon, and follow it with an electoral win in 2010. An interesting thing I noticed when getting calls from constituents is that they think we get paid. It's an unpaid position for which we get reimbursed nothing, and there's almost no prestige attached, either. The Board's budget has even been cut to $0 because of statewide cuts. This recent unsuccessful race cost a little over $2000, of which I put up slightly more than $900 (and I don't have money lying around, either) - only to be won by someone else who didn't campaign at all. Good thing I have a healthy sense of humor.

So it's nothing big, but I have hung around with some people who have real positions. Some elected officials (Congresswoman Corrine Brown, for example) are completely pathetic criminals. However, others do actual work. Much of it is ribbon-cutting, but they do often work on real issues. Ander Crenshaw really pushed for BRAC to not take the JFK from Jacksonville (they did anyway) because he recognized the potential for job loss. I think it's better for the nation as a whole to swap out the JFK for a nuclear carrier, but the point remains that he took a stand on it for the area and he has always strongly supported the military.

I see the elected officials from Hawaii back here in the islands more often than I would like to. It seems as though they're back here more than they are in DC. Every time I call the office to make an appointment, I'm told by their office that they wont' be back to HI for a couple of weeks. Later in the evening, I see them on the evening news. It's bad enough for the politicians to BS about stuff, but I would think that the person taking their calls would come up with a better excuse than that. Something like "The Senator will not be available for a couple of weeks." or "The Senator will be taking appoitments on [date]." would be a lot better
    Maybe they're a bunch of layabouts...call them out on it in a letter to the editor or something. Usually their day involves being shuttled around to events and meeting people, but their office should be honest about what's going on.

I like the idea of constituent ride-alongs, which eliminates the official's excuse for not having enough time to discuss anything. People who have questions can, if they have the time to do so, join an elected official for a few hours or an entire day, tagging along with their aide(s) to meetings and events. There are lots of opportunities there for one-on-one conversation while driving, flying or whatever. It would give them a little insight into what goes on, give them a chance to discuss any issues more in-depth, and it would be a great educational opportunity for high school and college students. It's also a good way to stay self-conscious of one's moral and ethical duty. You can't really engage in shady dealings as easily if there's always an average citizen sitting right nearby.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Just like the people as a whole made such a good choice for the occupant of the White House?

Quit trying to improve an excellent system the Founders gave us and work within the framework of the Constitution--IF you can get the current government to return to it.
    You're talking about the excellent system that resulted in Obama being president-elect?

Of course I know that to subject all 535 members to a nationwide vote instead of a vote by their states would be unconstitutional. But it's nice to wish, isn't it?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

boyzoi Guest
    wait till its time to vote themselves their next pay increase...how many do you think will forgo that?
    I beleive they should have to get approval of the people for salary levels period and especially a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    You're talking about the excellent system that resulted in Obama being president-elect?

Of course I know that to subject all 535 members to a nationwide vote instead of a vote by their states would be unconstitutional. But it's nice to wish, isn't it?
    Not the point of what I said. The problem with the people electing Obama is the people!

The founders assumed people in the US would continue to strive to be honest, hard working, and intelligent.

They never imagined a lazy, mendacious, willfully ignorant populace such as we have today.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Not the point of what I said. The problem with the people electing Obama is the people!

The founders assumed people in the US would continue to strive to be honest, hard working, and intelligent.

They never imagined a lazy, mendacious, willfully ignorant populace such as we have today.

]A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury." attributed to Alexander Tytler (1747-1813) Scottish lawyer and writer;

That is why our founding fathers in their wisdom did not want a full democracy but rather a democratic republic. Remember the pledge of allegiance says "and to the republic for which it stands", not democracy.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

It would be nice if they would listen to the people that elect them instead of lobbyist and big money.

Vocabulary Word of the Day For Me

Thanks, NDS, for a new word of the day: mendacious. I'll certainly remember this one as I have step son from my first husband that this applies to. It never hurts me to learn new things and grow, imho. I wish he would do the same. Estrangement is so sad!

Mendacious:
    adj.
    1. Lying; untruthful: a mendacious child.
    2. False; untrue: a mendacious statement. See Synonyms at dishonest.
    [From Latin mendcium, lie, from mendx, mendc-, mendacious.]

On that note, you should peruse this thread:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/off-t...i-thought.html
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    ]A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury." — attributed to Alexander Tytler (1747-1813) Scottish lawyer and writer;

That is why our founding fathers in their wisdom did not want a full democracy but rather a democratic republic. Remember the pledge of allegiance says "and to the republic for which it stands", not democracy.
    If that was aimed at me I totally agree. Notice that democracy is not in my remarks. The founders gave us a Republic. The people have routinely dismantled that Republic. Notice that the following were not in the original Constitution:

political parties choosing who the electoral college can vote for
    popular election of senators
    taxation on a person's 'income'
    Federal police force (secret service, fbi, nsa, on and on with this list)
    standing army
    feel free to add to the list as you see fit

The document was not, however, perfect. That slavery could not be aboloished as originally written is a vile fact from which our country will probably always suffer. It is a shame that in 1808, when restrictions could be made to the trade in humans, slavery was not abolished.

Women's sufferage is also an issue that should have been addressed earlier in US history.

Overall, I prefer the Federal Government of 1803 to that of today...
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    On that note, you should peruse this thread:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/off-t...i-thought.html
    That article details facts which enrage me. I teach at a junior high school (science / math) and the social studies (definitely lower case) teachers would not even discuss the election with the students. There were no mock elections, student debates, open discussions of party platforms or candidate statements as there was when I was a student. I found the situation despicable that political correctness has become so important that discussion must be forbidden.

I currently have little hope for the near future and truly believe things will become much worse before they get any better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast